Log Sliger CL530 - Tame RTX 3090 FE?! (Build Log)

DillThePill

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2021
I have plans for the Louqe riser cable in another case but was able to use it here for now. You can also see the special Corsair to 12 pin nvidia, instead of the pigtail that comes with the card plus the bulky stock PSU cable.

The CPU cooler could be better but it’s OK for a 5600x. I'm happy with noise and thermals. It's much better than the Ghost S1 clone case these parts were last in.

The Louqe can’t make the 90 bend without more space. I have standoffs to extend the case mount and the PCB is resting on them.

Standoffs for the GPU I/O plate. This is more than I need but it’s what I had. 10mm would be about the minimum to not bend the Louqe cable too much. (This is 14mm.)

The reason I want a console style case.

Last edited:

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Stunning setup!
I really like the flexibility of this case. It's small but still manages to give options. Like installing a graphics card although the riser doesn't really fit, nice.

What are these small grey cables above the blue riser cables?
Also is that an Noctua L9a with an 25 mm fan?

DillThePill

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2021
The gray cable is just part of the riser. It has the blue strands plus that thicker part in front of the pcie notch.

The cooler has the stock slim fan. I have a Black Ridge on the way. I’m hoping it keeps things cooler while being compatible with any case. (My hobby lately has been rebuilding these parts into different SFF cases.)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
@DillThePill thanks for sharing we are able to fit Louqe riser inside CL520/530 case..:D This riser (gen 4) is great also to maximize GPU backplate cooling.

Based on my experience, max GPU TDP for CL530 should be around 250W-275W (vertical stand). Above that amount, CL530 can cool GPU but it is becoming too loud for my taste...:)

PS : I cannot deny my love to Cerberus-X, thus my current plan is to keep CL530 till Cerberus-X v2 (basically S620 for ATX boards) by 2022..:D

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
The gray cable is just part of the riser. It has the blue strands plus that thicker part in front of the pcie notch.

The cooler has the stock slim fan. I have a Black Ridge on the way. I’m hoping it keeps things cooler while being compatible with any case. (My hobby lately has been rebuilding these parts into different SFF cases.)
Oh the Black Ridge, nice! I thought about buying this thing as well. It should fit very well into your case. Just not with an 120mm fan. This would need VLP RAM like Kingston ValueRAM VLP (DDR4-2666).
Sure, they seem slow, but i'd say they can be boosted quite a bit, since they're specified with only 1.2V. Give them more juice and make them run. To unlock the Blackridge Performance mode! ;)

If the ID-Cooling IS-60 EVO wouldn't exist, i would've tried this amazing cooler, too.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Oh the Black Ridge, nice! I thought about buying this thing as well. It should fit very well into your case. Just not with an 120mm fan. This would need VLP RAM like Kingston ValueRAM VLP (DDR4-2666).
Sure, they seem slow, but i'd say they can be boosted quite a bit, since they're specified with only 1.2V. Give them more juice and make them run. To unlock the Blackridge Performance mode! ;)

If the ID-Cooling IS-60 EVO wouldn't exist, i would've tried this amazing cooler, too.
Well on AM4 platform, black ridge remains pretty awkward (it was clearly designed for intel socket).
Black ridge is imposing too many constraints on MB & RAM for my taste.

Thus I appreciate a lot IS-60 EVO (IS-47K, same heatsink as IS-60 EVO but only 47mm tall with only bottom 92mm fan; is disappointing in terms of noise/performance ratio as heatsink to too restrictive for only 1 fan)

DillThePill

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2021
Well on AM4 platform, black ridge remains pretty awkward (it was clearly designed for intel socket).

It arrived yesterday, and no kidding. It doesn't come with a backplate and isn't compatible with standard AM4 mounts. They expect you to screw it right through the PCB with nothing to indicate the proper amount of torque. I can use a Noctua backplate but I would have passed if I knew how jank it was going to be.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
It arrived yesterday, and no kidding. It doesn't come with a backplate and isn't compatible with standard AM4 mounts. They expect you to screw it right through the PCB with nothing to indicate the proper amount of torque. I can use a Noctua backplate but I would have passed if I knew how jank it was going to be.
It’s even worse than I thought...:(
For torque force, don’t get too nervous about it on AM4. Issue was on former Intel processeur (I guess starting from 4790k, to be confirmed) where Intel reduces drastically pcb thickness...making cpu weaker compared to previous generation (this point cumulated with poor thermal paste on IHS was just horrible...Intel deserved current lack of interest on their cpu...they simply stopped working seriously on them)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Back to CL530 optimisations..:)

I decided to give one more time to CL530 while using my MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X.
I finally made up my mind about my 2 gaming setups...they have to be capable to use same GPU in an efficient way (no thermal throttle while staying quiet)

As my MSI GTX 1080 Ti can fit in CL530 I should try harder to make it work properlly and quietly!

My idea was to put graphic card in 2 slots position (instead of 3 slots) and carry over my SM550 mod (3 washers below panel pins) to make it fit.

I did manage to fit my MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X, it's really really a tight fit! (it fits better in SM550)
I was even forced to put 4 washers instead of 3 for SM550.

Issue is that CL530 panel is curved (in the wrong direction of course).

I tried my favorite benchmark (Control gameplay) but for now results are far from being good in terms of GPU thermals & noise.

I will let you know if I managed to reach any progress.

Reactions: Kommando

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Benchmarks time!

Here is 1st video, to measure stock GTX 1080 ti cooling & noise in CL530 with no cover :
  • Average Core Temperature : 70-71°C
  • Average Core Clock : 1898Mhz
  • Power Usage : 270W approx
  • Fan Speed : 1485rpm approx
  • Noise Level : Quiet (no turbulence noise)
Please note back panel temperature of 46°C...to be compared with 65°C approx while using RTX3090 FE..:)

Here is 2nd video with stock GTX 1080 ti inside CL530 with cover closed (SM550 mod with 4 washers)
  • Average Core Temperature : 72-73°C (+2°C vs w/o cover)
  • Average Core Clock : 1873Mhz (-25Mhz vs w/o cover)
  • Power Usage : 270W approx (same as w/o cover)
  • Fan Speed : 1690rpm approx (+200rpm vs w/o cover)
  • Noise Level : Quiet but with very noticeable turbulence noise
Here is last video with tweaked GTX 1080 Ti (4 years after purchase...better today then never...) inside CL530 with cover closed

GTX 1080 Ti Tweaks parameters (not fully validated) :
  • Core Curve : 1898Mhz @950mV
  • GDDR5X Clock : +175Mhz

• Average Core Temperature : 70°C (-1°C vs stock w/o cover)
  • Average Core Clock : 1886Mhz (-12Mhz vs stock w/o cover)
  • Power Usage : 230W approx (-40W vs stock w/o cover)
  • Fan Speed : 1485rpm approx (similar as stock w/o cover)
  • Noise Level : Quiet but with still audible turbulence noise

Overall pretty good GTX 1080 ti temperature reached inside CL530...way better results compared to my first trial.

However I need to highlight 2 negative points I can't solve :
  • Still audible turbulence noise (GPU fans are really close to panel, that tends to be convex...I barely managed to improve the bend)
  • Washers offset is not as pretty, dislike as on SM550 (done on both panels reaching symetry)
I'm reaching same conclusion : CL530 is cleary good for GPU with less 250W power consumptions. With higher TDP GPU, CL530 can handle heat but becomes noisy (too much for my taste)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Sounds like it might be better to use the 3-Slot-Position and replace those nasty fans with Noctuas. :)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Sounds like it might be better to use the 3-Slot-Position and replace those nasty fans with Noctuas. :)
You are right, way to go will be to replace GTX1080 ti shroud by customed fans...but I don't have enough love for CL530 to do so.

I tried CL530 but I failed to rise it to my expectations.
I've ordered Sliger S620 and I truly hope that it will succeed to match them as did since 4 years its eldest brother, Cerberus-X.

Keeping same case for 4 years is a personal record...Cerberus-X is just outstanding desktop case. Unfortunately it's too bulky for living room.

Let's see..:D

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You are right, way to go will be to replace GTX1080 ti shroud by customed fans...but I don't have enough love for CL530 to do so.

I tried CL530 but I failed to rise it to my expectations.
I've ordered Sliger S620 and I truly hope that it will succeed to match them as did since 4 years its eldest brother, Cerberus-X.

Keeping same case for 4 years is a personal record...Cerberus-X is just outstanding desktop case. Unfortunately it's too bulky for living room.

Let's see..:D
So a D15 in the S620?