Log Sliger CL530 - Tame RTX 3090 FE?! (Build Log)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Na, this thing is too big. I started my ITX-experience with considering this thing, but it's just a small ATX-case if you ask me. I mean, it can fit a NH-D15 if you mod it a bit.

Regarding current use: I'm still waiting for my SF750...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Na, this thing is too big. I started my ITX-experience with considering this thing, but it's just a small ATX-case if you ask me. I mean, it can fit a NH-D15 if you mod it a bit.

Regarding current use: I'm still waiting for my SF750...
Nothing decided yet, CL530 is still in active service.
As desktop it would be perfect, however as htpc, it is a bit too noisy (with RTX 3090FE)...especially versus Cerberus-X. (On top of dust filters)

My concern about NR200 is related to its material. After chaining 3 Sliger cases, full metal, moving to standard case will see like a downgrade...after there is always Sliger 620..:) but way more expensive..;)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Finally the wait is over: SF750 arrived. Like 3-4 months after i ordered it. But it's here now! :)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
I love it! Finally i don't have to take care of energy consumption. Power unleashed! ;-)

So I need to get rid of the additional and unnecessary heat quickly!
Let's free up the Graphics card from PSU exhausts. Prepare: This mod requires the power cord to be connected inside the case. Thus the outlet power cord will be fixed to the case.

So lets start. At first we prepare the PSU. Screws only fit into downwards direction. So we need: More zipties! (It would fit even without them by pressure fit only, but... let's just fix this).

(Don't block exhaust with the zipties)

Power cord routed below the connectors. The power cord is now too short to be connected to the power out port of the case. You can also see this on the second last picture.

THE GOOD about this mod

Just look at all this freed up space! :) No issues with getting rid of PSU exhaust.

This allowed me to put my little exhaust fans down there with ease. If you connect them to the screw using that power cord, they're fixed there.

THE (possible) BAD about this mod

As you can see its quite crammed on the other side of the PSU, where the GPU sits. Airflow might be hampered there. I think it should still be better than getting additional hot air there.
--> Solution for this (possible) problem is shown below in post #75

And here's a picture of the power cord connection.

--> So this mod makes sense from the look of it. However, PSU exhaust power is only a small portion of the (600W power * 0.9 = 60W) full power consumption of especially towards the graphics card with its hundreds of watts. And this mod may prevent some exhaust heat flow towards the back fan, depending on the GPU layout. I tried to free the way towards the back fan as much as possible to only get the benefits (hard to see on the picture).

Have fun if you try this on your own. I think that's about it for this case. Next step would be to modify the case itself by adding more clearance at the top. :)

If you ask me, this should've been the configuration right form the start. Maybe with the PSU put a centimeter higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience!! (This thread is becoming : Power users meet CL530..:):))

I like revert psu position. However, as you mentionned I guess it won't be no good for bigger GPU like my RTX 3090..:)

On my side, I focus to enable Resizable BAR on my Asus B450-i Strix + R7 5800X + RTX 3090..:)
Here are steps (one was surprising for me)
  1. Make sure your Motherboard is using UEFI bios (that was the trick and I needed to switch from MBR to GPT my windows 10 drive (quick step))
  2. Update vbios of Nvidia FE RTX 3090
  3. Install 465+ Nvidia driver
All that to get this screen :

From now, I have a very good reason to keep together B450-i+R7 5800X+RTX 3090FE...:D

NB :
Very useful links I followed :
https://edgeup.asus.com/2021/guide-how-to-enable-resizable-bar-on-your-asus-powered-gaming-pc/
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Reactions: dealda and Kommando

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
I have to check if ASUS provided the BIOS for the GPU yet.
Actually, I'm a bit afraid to do it: I hope this doesn't activate PCIe4.0 again. Then i would've to tear it all apart :/
How did your BIOS update work?

Regarding PSU position:
Yeah, your 3090 is 61 mm tall. Mine is just 52 mm.
The only chance I see to make it fit is to use an additional spacer between the PSU and the PSU bracket. If you lift it by a centimeter or more, it should fit.
It should however help a lot since your card doesn't exhale sidewards.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I have to check if ASUS provided the BIOS for the GPU yet.
Actually, I'm a bit afraid to do it: I hope this doesn't activate PCIe4.0 again. Then i would've to tear it all apart :/
How did your BIOS update work?

Regarding PSU position:
Yeah, your 3090 is 61 mm tall. Mine is just 52 mm.
The only chance I see to make it fit is to use an additional spacer between the PSU and the PSU bracket. If you lift it by a centimeter or more, it should fit.
It should however help a lot since your card doesn't exhale sidewards.
For sure, update bios will force gen 4 pcie...for compatible mb...:) Hopefully my B450-i is only gen 3...so no issue for me..:)

Just started also AC Valhalla...and CL530 is doing great...4K full details...only 250-260w used for 60-80 fps...:) RTX 3090 remains quiet in gaming (1200 rpm..:))
I will most probably some gameplay on Youtube later on..:)

Last edited:

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
I did update it, after I told me that I got a whole weekend for any fixes. But it just works at 4.0 now in Windows now. Which is awesome, since it is only the 3.0 riser.

Have to check it in games later.

PS: ASUS didn't release the necessary update yet it seems. Still no rBAR, after MB BIOS update and installing the correct driver. Quite a shame, i wanted to take the additional frames in Horizon Zero Dawn.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I did update it, after I told me that I got a whole weekend for any fixes. But it just works at 4.0 now in Windows now. Which is awesome, since it is only the 3.0 riser.

Have to check it in games later.

PS: ASUS didn't release the necessary update yet it seems. Still no rBAR, after MB BIOS update and installing the correct driver. Quite a shame, i wanted to take the additional frames in Horizon Zero Dawn.
Great news if it's working on Gen 4 with Gen 3 riser..:):)
Have you also checked your type of partition on boot drive ? (MBR or GPT) This point tricked me a little bit..;)

Reactions: Kommando

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I just discovered that LED on/off in my bios is impacting not only MB led...but also power button led...lol
Weird..:)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Ok, mine doesn't show LEDs when it is off. Such things would annoy me too.

But back to the old topic:
During sleeping, i had some ideas about tinkering again. These (possible) bad things about the mod had to be erased.

The solution: Wooden spacers and more zipties:

Before (SF750 in 180° direction, on its original place)

After (SF750 in 180° direction, moved up by 2.5 cm)

It cannot be seen very good, but this really opened a lot of breathing space. And it got another benefit which wasn't even planned:

--> The lower part of the NF-A14 now additionally pushes cold air into this compartment. At the moment he is additionally mounted even a tad lower. Win-Win I'd say! :)

Update on Risers, performance values and BIOS update:
- I had to revert to PCIe 3.0 because the graphics card wasn't recognized occasionally in windows
- Graphics card is now running at 2040 MHz @ 0.987 V and 8150 MHz. This wasn't possible with the SF450.
- CPU is now fixed at a maximum TDP of 105 W with PBO undervolt of -15. It could run a higher TDP, but that's just generating too much noise for the small improvement in performance.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Ok, mine doesn't show LEDs when it is off. Such things would annoy me too.

But back to the old topic:
During sleeping, i had some ideas about tinkering again. These (possible) bad things about the mod had to be erased.

The solution: Wooden spacers and more zipties:

Before (SF750 in 180° direction, on its original place)

After (SF750 in 180° direction, moved up by 2.5 cm)

It cannot be seen very good, but this really opened a lot of breathing space. And it got another benefit which wasn't even planned:

--> The lower part of the NF-A14 now additionally pushes cold air into this compartment. At the moment he is additionally mounted even a tad lower. Win-Win I'd say! :)

Update on Risers, performance values and BIOS update:
- I had to revert to PCIe 3.0 because the graphics card wasn't recognized occasionally in windows
- Graphics card is now running at 2040 MHz @ 0.987 V and 8150 MHz. This wasn't possible with the SF450.
- CPU is now fixed at a maximum TDP of 105 W with PBO undervolt of -15. It could run a higher TDP, but that's just generating too much noise for the small improvement in performance.
Gotcha, you are creating offset with wood pieces in order for PSU to receive more cool air from top fan.
Difficult to jugde like this, but it cannot decrease your cooling performance..:)

SF750 is bringing more fps compared to SF450..:)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
It actually is meant for the GPU to have more breathing space due to all the cables lingering around between PSU and GPU.
And additionally this warm air area gets more pressure and cold air from the fan ontop the PSU.

(I think it would now fit to bigger GPU as well ;) )

Yes, the SF750 really is awesome. The fan isn't even running outside games. 😁

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
It actually is meant for the GPU to have more breathing space due to all the cables lingering around between PSU and GPU.
And additionally this warm air area gets more pressure and cold air from the fan ontop the PSU.

(I think it would now fit to bigger GPU as well ;) )

Yes, the SF750 really is awesome. The fan isn't even running outside games. 😁
I fully agree about SF750..it delivers what promised, quietly.
Now let's see its lifespan..:)

DillThePill

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2021
I recently built into a CL520. I have a 3070 FE so cooling was much simpler for me, but it’s fun to follow what you are doing. Interesting that you flipped around the psu. That looked like a better arrangement to me. I was guessing they didn’t do it because of ginormous third party GPUs.

I happened across this cable at Best Buy. Maybe it can save you a bit of space. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-12-pin-gpu-power-cable-sleeved-black/6437465.p?skuId=6437465

My build looks so sparse compared to what you’ve gone through!

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Thx for the suggestion, but SF750 got such a cable included (SF450 didn't) ;)

Show some pictures of your build if you don't mind. It's gonna be interesting to see how you fare with the smaller size.
Which CPU cooler do you use?