Log Sliger CL530 - Tame RTX 3090 FE?! (Build Log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Great choice of a case. And very fine writeup. Seeing that you struggle with the backplate and temperatures, I may have two ideas of improvement for you. Just let me take a picture or two.
Thanks!

All good ideas are welcome!

Reactions: Kommando

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
  • Great choice of a case. And very fine writeup. Seeing that you struggle with the backplate and temperatures, I may have two ideas of improvement for you.

Regarding the airflow from the "blocked" fan: I went with this mod, where you basically cut the two connecting tapes of the riser und arrange two lines behind each other. I tried to put three lines into one, but that was too much pressure on the fan cover and made the fan blades hit the cover.

google foto's uploaden

And regarding air flow in general. There is this huge inlet on the front cover which isn't used by anything...
And since I happened to have an NF-A14 PWM lying around i just went on. Guess what fits between the SF450 and the metal cover of the case just perfectly? :)

If you use the anti vibration pads on both sides, it just fits by pressure. Not worrying pressure in any way.

I hope these ideas can help you a bit with your little temperature problem.
Thanks for sharing your findings.

Regarding your proposals, here are my thoughts :
  • Create bundles for riser ribbon : I was aware of this tweak before my CL530 build. However when I looked how to implement I realize I don't have really between GPU and fan grid.
  • Regarding fan above PSU, this is a good proposal. It's even like a duct for SFX PSU.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Regarding riser bundles. It may require a bit of pressure, but a bit of it is really good. If it forces your card a slight bit away from the fans, this gives them more room to breathe. Just remove the graphics card fixation screw before. ;-)

And here you have a picture of the assembled state. The "mesh" opening is just made for the A14 it seems.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here is my feedback on my CL530 build on my recent experience on "The Medium" game.

In several scenes (mostly split screen reality/spirit worlds), I was reaching 110°C on GDDR6X Junction Temperature. In HWinfo64 there is an attribute "Thermal throttling" for RTX 3090 and it moves from "No" to "Yes" after several seconds at 110°C.
Instantly RTX 3090 core clock has decreased by 40-60Mhz, with no real impact on gameplay.
This is confirming that my CL530 is border line in terms of GDDR6X cooling.
I might test carefully RTX 3090 back to Cerberus-X to see if I'm reaching also those high GDDR6X temperature in case of intense 3D rendering (ray tracing)

Also, in several scenes (clearly rendering, not loading) of "The Medium" R7 5800X was reaching 40%-50% load (power usage of 100w). I'm using asymetric fan speed on IS-60 EVO :
  • Top NF-A12x25 is connected to CPU header targeting 100% speed while reaching 80°C
  • Bottom NF-A09x14 (2500rpm model) is setup to run at 1200rpm whatever CPU temperature (helping a lot air to passthrough heatsink)
During those scene, NF-A12x25 was reaching 100% and CPU was stable at around 82°C. Not bad but I've to take some time to tweak my R7 5800X..:)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

der_brennesel

Chassis Packer
Apr 20, 2018
There is also the Louqe MKIII PCIe 4.0 Riser.

It has no ribbon Cable, instead it uses seperate Twinax cables. Much better for thermals, should allow free Airflow.

And thanks for bringing the heatissue to the Table, i never thought about Riser temps - will place a Tempsensor behind my RX6800 to monitor it :D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
There is also the Louqe MKIII PCIe 4.0 Riser.

It has no ribbon Cable, instead it uses seperate Twinax cables. Much better for thermals, should allow free Airflow.

And thanks for bringing the heatissue to the Table, i never thought about Riser temps - will place a Tempsensor behind my RX6800 to monitor it :D
Thanks for advice on riser. I’ll definitely check it.
Please keep us informed about your temp with rx6800..it should be cooler..but let’s see

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Here is another interesting one:

I've ordered a sample but it's still "funding" and won't be available before March.

Last edited:
Reactions: trees_z

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Strange, works for me.

Can you at least see the picture now?
yes thanks!
Similar single wire riser like Louqe version. It should definitely help cooling.

I know length for sliger riser : 25cm
How to select angle for riser?
I've seen mention of left angle or reversed. What version should I look for CL530?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
yes thanks!
Similar single wire riser like Louqe version. It should definitely help cooling.

I know length for sliger riser : 25cm
How to select angle for riser?
I've seen mention of left angle or reversed. What version should I look for CL530?

I think JHH only offers the straight version. Guess I would go for the ADT (3M) then. Seems to fit and was confirmed working with PCIe Gen4 by different users on the forum.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
So after all this talking i was motivated to make my riser great again. And do it right.

Much better than before. 👍😀
Thanks for sharing it!
Definitely will try that this week-end!

On the other hand, my feedback on "The Medium" may represent top end of gaming gpu usage currently...:) (crazy expensive RT effects..:))

Last edited:
Reactions: Kommando