SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Well that’s pretty swanky. As a vertical S4 user I’m definitely getting one. It seems to sit fine as is but the peace of mind is nice and I think the stand looks good as well.

Thanks all!

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Where do you guys get your wires/ cables for the HDPLEX 400 from? I thought about getting the Sky Wires, but I want to know what other options are out there because of my future GPU upgrade choices.

I currently have the following parts;
Strix Z370-I
i5-8400
Reference 970

I'm on the fence about my GPU upgrade choice. I'm thinking about getting the Zotac 1080 Ti Mini, which has two 8 pin connectors so I would need a custom cable for it since NFC only offers a single 8 pin GPU cable, but I may end up with the non Ti version because it has a single 8 pin, and considerably lower power draw.

I also want to see what people do for the SATA power cables, since I don't think there is a Sky Wires option for that.

*EDIT*
I'm doing some calculations to make sure that an HDPLEX 400 and the Dell DA330PM111 that I just ordered are going to be ok using Cooler Master's PSU calculator page. I'm worried that my power draw may be too much for the system when everything is running full bore. Could anyone help me verify some things?

I plan the following;
- i5-8400 running stock voltage @ 4.0Ghz ~65w
- Zotac 1080 Ti mini ~250w (Wattage seems high, but that's what Newegg says it is)
- (2) SATA SSD's ~5w maybe?
- External XSPC X4 Photon reservoir/ pump combo ~10w

I plan on running the CPU and GPU on a 540mm (3x180mm) radiator a little ways away from the case. I would LIKE to run it passively, but may throw 3 or 6 Silverstone 180mm fans on there and run them at super low speed, just to help a bit more with temps... however, that would likely add about 25w more draw.

All told, with everything above, I'm looking at around 355w. Cooler Master's calculator is telling me that it should be around 469w, which is weird. That doesn't include me going ham and overclocking the GPU any, or adding additional lights/ disco balls/ garage door openers... Could anyone help me make sure that what I plan will be alright, under full load, and not blow?

Last edited:

BomberBatty

Case Bender
New User
Jun 1, 2018
Hi, I'm new here, and relatively new to SFF in general.
Coming from big towers, I only recently took a step down in PC occupied space with the FD Node 304, which is pretty "big" as a small case.
I wanna take a step further, which is why I'm here and drooling about the S4M.

I'm not gonna make a fresh new build, I'll wait AMD Zen 2 with graphic for that (end of 2019 maybe ?),
so I will reuse most of my actual setup, probably dropping the vga and going to use the integrated one.

Here is my actual setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nw3L9J

I'd like to go brickless, but I'm not sure if 160W is enough juice... and what about cooling ?
I'm reading that IntoxicatedPuma round-up here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/cpu-cooler-sffn-round-up-sticky-thread.7668/
but I've no idea what to pick. Only one thing for sure: I'll use a Noctua fan.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi, I'm new here, and relatively new to SFF in general.
Coming from big towers, I only recently took a step down in PC occupied space with the FD Node 304, which is pretty "big" as a small case.
I wanna take a step further, which is why I'm here and drooling about the S4M.

I'm not gonna make a fresh new build, I'll wait AMD Zen 2 with graphic for that (end of 2019 maybe ?),
so I will reuse most of my actual setup, probably dropping the vga and going to use the integrated one.

Here is my actual setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nw3L9J

I'd like to go brickless, but I'm not sure if 160W is enough juice... and what about cooling ?
I'm reading that IntoxicatedPuma round-up here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/cpu-cooler-sffn-round-up-sticky-thread.7668/
but I've no idea what to pick. Only one thing for sure: I'll use a Noctua fan.
At least according to the wattage estimator in the top right corner there, it needs 235 watts continuous. The HDPlex 160 can handle peaks of 200. You won't have enough power if you go that route and don't wait for the internal 400watt brick to release.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: BrotherStein

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Where do you guys get your wires/ cables for the HDPLEX 400 from? I thought about getting the Sky Wires, but I want to know what other options are out there because of my future GPU upgrade choices.

I currently have the following parts;
Strix Z370-I
i5-8400
Reference 970

I'm on the fence about my GPU upgrade choice. I'm thinking about getting the Zotac 1080 Ti Mini, which has two 8 pin connectors so I would need a custom cable for it since NFC only offers a single 8 pin GPU cable, but I may end up with the non Ti version because it has a single 8 pin, and considerably lower power draw.

I also want to see what people do for the SATA power cables, since I don't think there is a Sky Wires option for that.

*EDIT*
I'm doing some calculations to make sure that an HDPLEX 400 and the Dell DA330PM111 that I just ordered are going to be ok using Cooler Master's PSU calculator page. I'm worried that my power draw may be too much for the system when everything is running full bore. Could anyone help me verify some things?

I plan the following;
- i5-8400 running stock voltage @ 4.0Ghz ~65w
- Zotac 1080 Ti mini ~250w (Wattage seems high, but that's what Newegg says it is)
- (2) SATA SSD's ~5w maybe?
- External XSPC X4 Photon reservoir/ pump combo ~10w

I plan on running the CPU and GPU on a 540mm (3x180mm) radiator a little ways away from the case. I would LIKE to run it passively, but may throw 3 or 6 Silverstone 180mm fans on there and run them at super low speed, just to help a bit more with temps... however, that would likely add about 25w more draw.

All told, with everything above, I'm looking at around 355w. Cooler Master's calculator is telling me that it should be around 469w, which is weird. That doesn't include me going ham and overclocking the GPU any, or adding additional lights/ disco balls/ garage door openers... Could anyone help me make sure that what I plan will be alright, under full load, and not blow?

Hello, my friend.

Please check out this page on my website which gives you tested power supply options for different builds:

nfc-systems.com/boms

The 1080ti does indeed require a ton of power and you will need either the Eurocom setup as seen in my videos, the Delta 400 setup as seen in my videos, or a custom Gunique kit as will be seen in a video. I would recommend going with the 1080 if you want a drop in GPU that runs well off a powersupply that won't require modding. Plus you won't have to worry about managing heat and noise.

Peace

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Please check out this page on my website which gives you tested power supply options for different builds:

Hey @Josh | NFC. Thanks for the link. It looks like those are just BOM's though, and they don't list any sort of power draw (I like seeing numbers lol). While I would love to be able to toss money at this build, I couldn't justify spending $400+ on the Eurocom unit, and then having to make a lot of custom connectors for it. Since you've tested the base 1080 with an appropriately powerful CPU (I see the 8700 in the build list), then I'll just stick with that.

I appreciate the help, man.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hey @Josh | NFC. Thanks for the link. It looks like those are just BOM's though, and they don't list any sort of power draw (I like seeing numbers lol). While I would love to be able to toss money at this build, I couldn't justify spending $400+ on the Eurocom unit, and then having to make a lot of custom connectors for it. Since you've tested the base 1080 with an appropriately powerful CPU (I see the 8700 in the build list), then I'll just stick with that.

I appreciate the help, man.

The parts list are just the TL;DR but yeah they are the recommended options I find safe. Otherwise there are lots and losts of posts here you could go through with what other customers have done.

Using a 80w CPU as a base on my test bench, here are my SYSTEM averages that are on my whiteboard:

RX580: 270
1060: 178
1070: 220
1080: 270
1080ti: 350

Keep in mind these are averages across alot of benchmarks and heavier games. Some applications can cause spiking and you need more power than just the base to handle it. There is no good way to give you numbers to be honest, because even listing peaks doesn't really give a good idea of usability. I think the only good info are the power supplies I list in the BOM as they work.

Peace

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
There is no good way to give you numbers to be honest...

Yeah, I tried finding some solid evidence/ calculations, but without all of the hardware in front of me it was going to be difficult to get it exact. I think your numbers for the 1080 Ti build though, are pretty close to what I figured it would be. I appreciate the info, either way.

sgtspiff

Caliper Novice
May 25, 2018
Do you have the exact measurements for the graphics card compartment? I'm thinking width and height especially. The idea that I got would be to fit a Palit 1050Ti KalmX in it, which has a size of 182mm x 142mm, and a width of around 36mm. So no modding required for cooling with a Noctua fan or 2...

I was wondering the same thing. Saw the question but not any answer.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Judging by the pictures online alone, seeing as how it's almost a 3-slot wide card, I would venture to say that it wouldn't fit. My reference 970 only has maybe 1/4" gap to the side panels. Is there a reason why you want that card?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Judging by the pictures online alone, seeing as how it's almost a 3-slot wide card, I would venture to say that it wouldn't fit. My reference 970 only has maybe 1/4" gap to the side panels. Is there a reason why you want that card?
Edge-on you can see it doesn't extend past the bracket. The angle photos are appear disproportionate

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
EThe angle photos are appear disproportionate

Ah. Well, if it is just a two slot thickness, then everything else about it looks like it would fit fine, with a ton of room around it. There is a massive amount of room above my 970, and I know that water cooling hubs and fittings will fit... so the card should be fine.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Cyclo16

Cable Smoosher
Jun 2, 2018
Hello guys,

I am new here and got a Skyreach 4 mini, I first apologize for my communication skills ... but If you can understand that would be awesome !
Unfortunately I am experiencing an embarrassing trouble with the S4C, that's why I ended up to sign in here. Well, I installed an i7 6700k stuck @ 4.0GHz at 1.155V with a GTX 1080 Ti Mini from Zotac. I have no power issue, even using an HDplex 400W with dell 330W AC adapter (since January from now).

My issue is that I took the mini feet to put the Skyreach horizontaly (becoming too risky to stay verticaly) but the weight of the 1080 ti is a way too much and the larger fan touches the Skyreach chassis when there is a little move on my desktop ... I mean .. did I miss something on how to mount the GPU on the Skyreach or is there just nothing to hold the end of the card ? Because the weight is definitely pushing the card down to the bottom chassis and touching it ... And I am afraid that one day, it will break the GPU fan. (All screws are there ...2x)

So did you experienced this issue too ? Got a solution ?

Got two secondary points to discuss : dust invasion and heat (92° for 1080 Ti heavy load gaming) :)

Anyway, thanks for taking time to read, and thanks NFC for this chassis which saves my room space ! awesome work.

SuckingALemon

Efficiency Noob
May 5, 2018
Hello,

I am having an issue with power on my brand new SFF Build and I hope I can get some insight/help.

I am new to SFF builds, but have a need to build one for work/travel purposes. I studied the different approaches and finally landed on the brickless build outlined here: http://nfc-systems.com/boms (although it seems to be recently updated)

Here are the following parts I ordered: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JsH6D2

As you can see, I opted for the Ryzen 7 1700 and the ASRock AB350 Board.

What confuses me is that BOM states "Dynamo Mini 200". When I go to the website, there is not a Dynamo Mini 200 available, only a 160W and a 360W. I ended up purchasing the 160W and hoped for the best. (Seems the 160W is now no longer availble..but thankfully I got one last month).

While waiting for the power pieces to arrive, I purchased an ATX power supply just to make sure everything works / powers up / etc. All went smoothly. Was able to see it post / install an OS / etc.

Now I am trying to do the "brickless" part of the build. I have connected the HDPlex 160 AC-DC to the C8 connector for power. The HDPlex then connects to the Mini Dynamo 160W, which is attached to the motherboard (CPU is wired too). In this configuration, I can not get the build to post / startup / nothing. Part of me is wondering if I need more power, but I thought I would have enough for this build?

When this build is functional, the majority of the time it will run headless, so I don't see the video card taking up too much power therefore I *thought* I would be safely under 180W. You will also notice that I am not running any extra SATA drives..just the M.2 sitting on the motherboard.

Any thoughts? How to debug this? Any more information that I can provide that can be of help?

Thanks again. I have really enjoyed watching all the S4 Mini builds on youtube and looking forward to all this working.

Thanks,
Joe

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Still a bit skeptical. Would like to hear it straight fram the master himself @Josh | NFC.

It's kinda hard to give total volume because useable volume would probably be different. In situations like these, it is probably best to bust out the 3D Sketchup model I made for you guys and see. I made the MINI, but it is really hard to tell with that GPU as there aren't any good pictures (I have seen) and I am not exactly sure on the size...

I think it might fit in terms of height, but thickness I am not sure. You have about 13.5mm from the top of a GPU to the case side panel (if it doesn't have a backplate). Soooo I dunno if that helps.

Peace

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Any thoughts? How to debug this? Any more information that I can provide that can be of help?
Joe
1. if the power is not enough it would fail at post rather than not posting at all. But that wouldn't be the case, as the power draw during post will be below 160W, which the HDplex/dynamo min can support.
2. Going by the indications it seems there is a connection issue. If you have a multimeter, check the circuit is not disconnected anywhere.

BTW, Dynamo 160 and 200 are same (160 is rated and 200 is peak)

Last edited: