Simple, Slim, Quiet, & Cool (Upcoming Office PC Build)

Iceman24

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Feb 9, 2020
First time poster here seeking some advice about some parts to use. I haven't built in SFF computers except for a router in an M350 box. This new one that I'm waiting for 10th gen Intel CPU's is something different than the countless builds I've done in mini/mid tower cases. I decided on smaller case when I finally realized that a standard size case was going to somewhat cramp my style on my desk. I thought about how I will not even have a GPU in it, at least not anytime soon, and even if I did, it'd just be a basic card to handle a potential multi-monitor setup. I decided that a smaller case would benefit my space issue greatly and that it wouldn't really affect much, if anything, the performance of the computer when used as an office machine for work and also personally home usage, which mostly consists of running a web browser and basic apps. This brings me to my requirements and what I desire out of the build.

Requirements:
Quiet (Dead silence not required, but peace and quiet would be greatly appreciated. I feel this rules out cases that are too airy and allow too much noise to escape. I don't need great amounts of ventilation for a non-gaming PC)
Thin width, as nothing that big is going inside the computer, so that would be wasted space. Thinness is the most desired of the dimensions.
Short Depth (Again, nothing much going on in front of motherboard. No HDD, no 2.5" SSD, no long GPU.)
Not really tall (some cases I've seen are really tall. That might stick up high enough to annoy me from a aesthetic standpoint.)
Room for modest sized non-gaming GPU (just in case I ever get one)
No glass panels (noise penetrates that more than metal)
No ports/buttons on top of case (maybe not a dealbreaker, but I really don't want that stuff on top)
Not a space heater (I mention this as my current PC is one and I'd love my new one to not be)
Possible to position horizontally, although I plan to orientate vertically, but I want to option
I want to position it to my right and I do not want any exhaust fans to be blowing my direction, so perhaps I'll need a case that can be mounted vertically either direction or one that has mobo inverted so that it mounts in what would be the left side of the case and any potential exhaust fan blows air out of the right side of the case, away from me.
Not a gaming PC look (not so aggressive at least, would prefer more classy look)
Mini-ITX compatible

There may be some other things that I think of, but for now, this sums up what I want. I feel like the case is one option I want to decide on before I finalize any other choices. I have the Silverstone Fortress FTZ01-E in my #1 slot. Looks pretty good, quality chassis. Size profile is quite where I want it.

Noctua NH-L12S CPU cooler is also a choice I like the most so far. Case fan may fit with it, but unsure if that would be better as exhaust or actually a secondary intake fan for the heatsink.

Intel i7-10700 is ideal choice at the moment for CPU.

Advice is appreciated.