First PC build ever - Dan A4 V4.1

Dugan Nash

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 26, 2020
Hey guys,

this is my first pc build ever. It took me about a week to decide on a PC case but I finally got it. After choosing the case, I decided to make the build air cooled, I don't really care about the highest performing PC as I chose an SFF case to begin with, but one think I do care about is thermals and airflow in the case. I will also be doing some rendering so 16gb RAM at least is required.

My build:

I also ordered a fan duct for the CPU cooler.

I still have 2 questions in order to ensure the best possible build with these specs:

1) CPU Heatsink orientation: Does it matter? I read somewhere that it's better if they're vertical as heat normally goes up, but I'm not sure that matters in a fully air-cooled case. Another factor to consider is, that the heatsinks are parallel with the RAMs in order to ensure a flow. What do you guys think?

2) The bottom noctua fans as intake or exhaust (or one intake and the other exhaust)? I'm asking this because I'm not sure how the CPU, PSU and GPU airflows are, are they intake or exhaust. I want to try to have the best airflow balance going on inside the case (negative or positive pressure).

Thank you in advance!

-Dugan N.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So I ran an 8700 non-k in a Dan A4 with a Noctua L9i. The chip will throttle under full load, so you're going to have to undervolt. I also suggest switching the CPU fan to a 92x25mm model. As long as the heatpipes don't run down for the first segment you will be fine.

The I7-8700 series is about the pinnacle of Intel's hubris in regards to TIM between the chip and heat spreader. By this, I mean it barely works. The chips run hot, and are difficult to cool. Also, they eat upwards of 115 watts to boost to full speed. Now, I have a golden sample 8700 that undervolts really, really well. But that was luck on my part.

The 1151 platform is a dead end, and the 8700 is matched quiet well by the AMD R5-3600 (for $100 less) and bested by R7-3700 series (for the same price). Both of which are thermally better performers than the 8700. Is there a reason you are choosing Intel over AMD? Going AMD will give you about the same performance, for less money, and allow upgrades.

MSI did a terrible job with those cards. I did a tear down of one and found only half the memory was cooled. This was backed up when Gamer Nexus did the same things with the same results.

If I might suggest a reconfigure:

R5-3600 ($179 at New Egg)
Noctua L9A ($39)
Asrock Fatal1ty B450 mainboard ($129 at New Egg)
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 CAS 16 memory ($138 at New Egg)
Sabrent Rocket 512GB NVME SSD ($79 at New Egg or Amazon)

These parts increase your RAM speed, allow upgrade-ability, and save $120. Performance is about the same, but the CPU runs much cooler. Now...let's put that $120 to use.

This can go four ways:

Option 1: Swap to a 2060 KO and substantially increase your storage space , and upgrade the mainboard.

- The EVGA 2060KO offers RTX features, is faster than the 1660ti, and only costs $299. Saves an additional $10.

- You can then get a 1TB Sabrent Rocket or Inland equivalent, and that leaves $60

- You can either pocket that extra $60, or invest it into an X570 ITX mainboard. The Asrock X570 ITX will go for $219.

Option 2: Swap to a 2060 KO and get a better CPU

- You can get an R7-3700X for $300. Game performance won't really improve, but everything else will.

Option 3: Swap to a 2070 and boost your GPU performance and pocket $30.

- You can get a Gigabyte 2070 for $399. This is a massive improvement in GPU performance over the 1660TI. You pocket $30 here.

Option 4: Swap to an RX 5700XT and increase your SSD to 1TB.

- Dell is currently selling the RX5700XT for $360. It's a blower card so it's a bit loud, but not awful. Performance is better than the other video cards for the most part. However, you DO NOT get hardware Ray Tracing or DLSS. Neither did the 1660TI though. I have one of these cards, and can play Battlefield V, max settings, at 1900P at a locked 60FPS. Witcher 3 plays well at 4K and Star Wars Fallen Order can do 60FPS at 1800P max settings.

- Take the extra $60 to $70 and upgrade to a 1TB SSD

The biggest question to all of this is what monitor you're using. What resolution? Does it support Freesync or Gsync?

Dugan Nash

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 26, 2020
I was planning on undervolting my CPU but not deliding it. Hence my choice in the mainboard and CPU which resulted in my choice in 2666 RAM. All in all it won't be a big difference. Also money is not a problem. I care more about my components lasting longer. But thanks for your advice!

I may consider changing the GPU though, if this one doesn't help with thermals in the case. And again I don't really care about the highest graphics as I don't play the latest games. Even if I do, I would lower the graphics settings. What I want in a GPU is good thermals.

PS: I've already bought these specs.