Power Supply SilverStone SX650-G and SX500-G SFX PSU

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Cybenetics gave the 650 a LAMBDA-C rating with an average noise output of 37.07 dBA. They haven't tested the Corsair SF600. How does that compare?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
it was a bit of a struggle to fit it all in a sentry case. but they felt like the standard silverstone affair

Weird, they seemed to advertise the 'flexibility' of the cables. I guess maybe just marketing buzz because that is the main thing that the Corsair units get dinged on.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Just a reminder, my friend bought the 650w version and it didn't come with SFX to ATX adapter. My sx500-lg came with it before.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
i might be having some issues with the 650 regarding powering a single vega 64, [H]ard forum is suggesting the reason crashes occur when it isn't on power saver is because of the psu.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I have the SX450, SX600, and the SX650, and am happy with performance and quietness so far.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
i might be having some issues with the 650 regarding powering a single vega 64, [H]ard forum is suggesting the reason crashes occur when it isn't on power saver is because of the psu.
Have you used both PCIe power cables and not just one cable with two connectors ? It should be plenty that way, I've powered a similar power-hungry R9 290X card with a Silverstone 450W SFX PSU for years, in the past. The PSU is also not being fed warm air I hope.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Have you used both PCIe power cables and not just one cable with two connectors ? It should be plenty that way, I've powered a similar power-hungry R9 290X card with a Silverstone 450W SFX PSU for years, in the past. The PSU is also not being fed warm air I hope.
i am using the two connectors and the psu is drawing air straight from outside. i'm hoping it was vegas fault though as i have had no issues since turning it to power saver.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very strange. My other guess would be it could be tripping some kind of Over Current Protection. Do you have an Asus motherboard wih AntiSurge feature ? If so, deactiviating it in the BIOS could solve it.

maev

Case Bender
Nov 5, 2017
Looks like sx650-g is ~7 dba louder. I can't find any information on how loud it is exactly under various loads.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Very strange. My other guess would be it could be tripping some kind of Over Current Protection. Do you have an Asus motherboard wih AntiSurge feature ? If so, deactiviating it in the BIOS could solve it.
gigabyte mb so not sure whats up with it

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

I just got a Vega 56 and it is doing the same on my Silverstone 450W PSU. My Asus motherboard has the AntiSurge feature and when it reboots it prompts me that the AntiSurge feature activated. Kinda worried about turning it off to be honest.

The 450W Silverstone did fine with my GTX 780 SuperClock so it is a little disappointing it can't handle the Vega 56. I understand the Vega 56 is 2-3 times the performance, but it was supposed to have a lower TDP so you would think reduced electrical consumption.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just wanted to respond to this thread and say that after a year I'm experiencing crashes again with my Silverstone SX650 and Vega 56. Although it was fine all year, I recently got Destiny2 and it crashes very quickly unless the Vega is in power saver mode.

I followed-up with Silverstone technical support and they confirmed that the SX650 has an overly sensitive overcurrent protection (OCP) causing it to trip and reset the system. They have since changed this and are allowing purchasers to RMA units.

I have to pay to ship it to them and they don't ship me a new PSU until they receive mine, so unsure how long my PC will be down for.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Just wanted to respond to this thread and say that after a year I'm experiencing crashes again with my Silverstone SX650 and Vega 56. Although it was fine all year, I recently got Destiny2 and it crashes very quickly unless the Vega is in power saver mode.

I followed-up with Silverstone technical support and they confirmed that the SX650 has an overly sensitive overcurrent protection (OCP) causing it to trip and reset the system. They have since changed this and are allowing purchasers to RMA units.

I have to pay to ship it to them and they don't ship me a new PSU until they receive mine, so unsure how long my PC will be down for.
this is something i really needed to hear, i was worried i was alone. i actually found i had the opposite issue, i had to overclock on my less intensive games.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
this is something i really needed to hear, i was worried i was alone. i actually found i had the opposite issue, i had to overclock on my less intensive games.
Power saver didn't work? Power saver was working fine for me back when I had the 450w unit too.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I had two SX650G power supplies which would constantly reset my computer. First one would do it usually when I tried a small overclock. The second replacement unit was even worse. I now run an EVGA 650 GM with no issues. This is with a 9900k + 2080 ti.