Power Supply SilverStone SX650-G and SX500-G SFX PSU

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I was checking SilverStone's Facebook page to see if there was any updates on the 700W SFX-L unit and spotted this interesting photo of their PSU lineup. The above picture is a cropped and sharpened view of the linked image.

As far as I know, the two mystery SFX PSUs in the front are previously unannounced units. At Computex last year they had shown off a non-modular SFX unit that still hasn't been released but these two new units are fully modular. More interesting though is the fan, which based on my measurements of the casing, is a 92mm fan. The SilverStone SX600-G has a slim 80mm fan and has built a reputation among noise-sensitive SFF enthusiasts as being bit too loud so some have been looking forward to the upcoming Corsair SF600 due to the 92mm fan that unit has. SilverStone has been at the fore of pushing SFF power supplies though so it's nice to see them firing back with a similar unit of their own. It's even possible that both units are manufactured by the same OEM, though I haven't heard any solid info on the OEM for the Corsair.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Along with the Platinum SX700-LPT that's a nice lineup. Now the question is which part of this year these will be available ? I'm hoping Q1-Q2, I'm expecting Q3-Q4.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I feel like Silverstone has been flying under the radar recently. These units come as a surprise.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Edit: wrong thread :p

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
SilverStone alone has 7 SFX either released or upcoming: ST30SF, ST45SF, ST45SF-G, SX500-G, SX550, SX600-G, and SX650-G.

Now Corsair with the SF450 and SF600.

Seasonic has a few, though just low-end.

BeQuiet has a few.

There's some sold by the OEMs themselves like Enhance and FSP.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm expecting more than a few of those will be retiring, the SX600-G won't have a reason to exist anymore, along with the ST45SF-G and the ST45SF. Not after the competition of Corsair going to steal a lot of their market share just by having a name.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed and they are also not the most well-liked products with both having noise issues with a lot of customers. Replacing these with 92mm fan versions would be a step in the good direction, hoping they have a good designed semi-passive mode on just a well-balanced always-on fan profile.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
True, the SX600-G may not have a place in their lineup after the 650W releases. I think the 450W non-modular will stick around as a cheaper option but the ST45SF-G may get replaced by the 500W.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes, absolutely, the non-modular versions will be the budget options, and I am glad that they exist. SFF doesn't need to be more expensive than large PCs, but as you pay a premium for SFX PSUs, that is the case. Having budget options in that market is the first step to making SFF more affordable.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
With the Corsair unit apparently releasing in February, they've got a small edge over Silverstone, that single month could translate to significant sales. Bummer that people got to wait for the SX700 for so long, though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd be immensely amazed if the SX700-LPT would be available and not just announced in March. Silverstone has the track record of paper-launching a PSU months before it's available.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Corsair hasn't exactly been timely with their SFX PSU so we'll see who ends up being the least late :\

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Corsair units should be available in a few weeks.

The SilverStone 700W SFX-L hopefully late this month or early next month. Their new SFX units will be later though, sometime in Q2.