Power Supply SilverStone SX650-G and SX500-G SFX PSU

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
According to Tom's Hardware the OEM for these is Enhance.
I'm confused here, I'm reading the linked Tom's Hardware article now and it says the OEM of SX650-G and SX500-G will be High Power.
Wondering if they edited their article after Aiboh posted this info.
Edit: I guess we can infer from the grille design that they are not High Power OEM?

Looks like the FSP-based SX550 is coming real soon in Japan while the Corsair units still haven't made it here. Tony Ou will be in Tokyo coming weekend and talk about SS's new products, SX700 will be one of them according to the notice I saw but no mention of SX650-G and SX500-G there. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go see it though.

Edit2: Speaking of SFX I'm hoping crmaris at Techpowerup will review Andyson's Gold rated 600W SFX unit as I was concerned about the inrush current but otherwise pleased with the fantastic quality of their recent Titanium rated 700W ATX unit.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wondering if they edited their article after Aiboh posted this info.

That's possible, I'll email Tony and verify the OEM.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to go see it though.

That'd be neat if you could make it, typical news sites never ask the kinds of questions we want to know :)

Andyson's Gold rated 600W SFX unit

Oh neat, I wasn't aware of that one. I'll contact them and see about getting a review sample.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I forgot to add something I initially removed in my previous post, but just so fans of SFX form factors are aware, Thermaltake also showcased 600W and 450W modular SFX units for their Toughpower series three months ago, they looked similar to Silverstone's corresponding units.

That'd be neat if you could make it, typical news sites never ask the kinds of questions we want to know :)
Can't make promise, but are there any specific questions you have in mind you want me to ask him? Since you just mentioned emailing Tony about the OEM thing, I don't know if I myself have any in particular at the moment.
Oh neat, I wasn't aware of that one. I'll contact them and see about getting a review sample.
It would be nice if you could get a sample for review. Andyson's Titanium ATX units are finally picked up by a company (Raidmax) for sales outside Taiwan last month, maybe some media coverage of their SFX 600W units could help increase the chance of this particular model getting picked up for international distribution as well.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thermaltake also showcased 600W and 450W modular SFX units for their Toughpower series three months ago

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of Thermaltake entering the SFF PSU market either.

I don't know if I myself have any in particular at the moment.

Hmm...pics of the AC inlet is nice for making case design decisions, though I'm mostly interested in that for the SX650-G. I actually can't think anything else right now, so I guess if you can't make it to this event it's not a big deal :p

maybe some media coverage of their SFX 600W units could help increase the chance of this particular model getting picked up as well.

Andyson's site is down for maintenance, but once it's back up I'll email them about a review unit. Since I lack the equipment to really test it my idea was to maybe send it to someone like jonnyguru.com to check out with their load tester.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Actually, where did you see that Thermaltake is coming out with new SFX units? I couldn't find any info about them.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
The only news on Thermaltake's SFX units I read is the Cowcotland article I linked above. My French is less than basic so I only skimmed it and picked up keywords but I believe there was no mention of release dates, only the expected price info, hence my choice of the word showcased.
As for a detailed review, OklahomaWolfe's review for jonnyguru would be awesome, but I mentioned Techpowerup only because I don't recall OW including inrush current measurement in his reviews which was the only concern for me when I read both OW's and crmaris's reviews of Andyson's N700W.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bah, that article is a great example of how normal news sites don't ask the important questions. Who's the OEM? Is it semi-fanless? What kind of cables will it come with? What's the expected release date? What's the model #?

Anyway, you're right, it's almost certainly the same Enhance platform that the SilverStone SX600-G is based on. The fan looks much worse than the one SilverStone uses though, I don't expect it to be quiet at all.

It's a bit strange though, I wonder if Thermaltake has a SFF case in the works that would take these units? Bundling it is the only way I could see them selling them, at those prices they offer absolutely nothing over the SilverStone or Corsair units.

CRmaris has nicer test equipment, but he's in Greece while OKWolf is in Canada, much easier to ship to :p

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Bah, that article is a great example of how normal news sites don't ask the important questions. Who's the OEM? Is it semi-fanless? What kind of cables will it come with? What's the expected release date? What's the model #?
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Anyway, you're right, it's almost certainly the same Enhance platform that the SilverStone SX600-G is based on. The fan looks much worse than the one SilverStone uses though, I don't expect it to be quiet at all.
An 80mm slim fan with seven long rectangular blades = most likely an ADDA fan from my memory, but I could be wrong. But we just never know the fan speed profile from a mere picture. :(

It's a bit strange though, I wonder if Thermaltake has a SFF case in the works that would take these units? Bundling it is the only way I could see them selling them, at those prices they offer absolutely nothing over the SilverStone or Corsair units.
Yeah, other than the cheap outsourced Element Q (bundled with a 220W SFX PSU with Thermaltake printed on its label) from some years ago I don't think TT has released any SFF case specifically designed to be equipped with an SFX PSU, so I'm curious as well about their rationale behind their entry into SFX PSU market.

CRmaris has nicer test equipment, but he's in Greece while OKWolf is in Canada, much easier to ship to :p
You're right, I didn't think about that.:p

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm confused here, I'm reading the linked Tom's Hardware article now and it says the OEM of SX650-G and SX500-G will be High Power.

I heard back from Tony and it is indeed High Power who is the OEM for the SX500-G and SX650-G, I've updated the article.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Thanks for the update.
I guess I should never make a guess from the grille design as to what the OEM of the PSU is, lesson learned.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I attended the 1st part of Tony's talk just now and found out 2 more 80+Platinum SFX-L units are in the pipeline, SX500-LPT and SX600-LPT, w/ the same semi-fanless feature. Not on display today tho. SX500-G and SX 650-G are here, took a few potato pics but I asked the guy here w/ a camera who I recognized as a man working for Hermitage Akihabara for favor and make sure to take photos of the units showing their AC inlets for their article.
(Off topic, but one interesting or wtf type of product Silverstone is developing that Tony talked about was TD02-Pro/TD03-Pro which are AIOs w/ a pump imbedded in the center of the rad. Not like those Antec AIOs, there is literally a hole in the rad, like a torus.)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
found out 2 more 80+Platinum SFX-L units are in the pipeline, SX500-LPT and SX600-LPT, w/ the same semi-fanless feature.

Nice, I'll add them to the wiki.

SX500-G and SX 650-G are here, took a few potato pics but I asked the guy here w/ a camera who I recognized as a man working for Hermitage Akihabara for favor and make sure to take photos of the units showing their AC inlets for their article.

Thanks!

(Off topic, but one interesting or wtf type of product Silverstone is developing that Tony talked about was TD02-Pro/TD03-Pro which are AIOs w/ a pump imbedded in the center of the rad. Not like those Antec AIOs, there is literally a hole in the rad, like a torus.)

Oh the lengths companies will go to to avoid the Asetek patent :p

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I just got home, and before I go through the photos I took in my phone Hermitage Akihabara already put up their article on the Silverstone showcase including the photos of the SX500-G and SX650-G I asked for. There were photographers from other media outlets with DSLRs too. (I didn't ask them who they represented but I'll check akiba pc hotline, ascii, mynavi, itmedia, etc. later.)

According to the Silverstone staff and the Dirac staff at the event SX700-LPT will be out in Japan in May, SX500-LPT and SX600-LPT will be here around the time of Computex event, SX500-G and SX650-G will be in 2016Q3, if things don't go wrong from now on.

Here is a set of my smartphone photos from the event. I had a chance to talk with Tony for an extended amount of time after the event, and just like the last time I attended this event a few years ago, thanks Tony for his generosity and courteousness.

@Aiboh Sorry, I probably should have posted these in the SX500-G and SX650-G thread, feel free to move my posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm going to be drowning in SFX/SFX-L PSUs by the end of the year :p

Out of curiousity, does Tony speak Japanese? Or was there a translator? Or was it just in English?

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
No, Tony doesn't speak Japanese. I believe all the Silverstone staff members at this event were Taiwanese and at least one member (the man in black Silverstone shirt far right in the last photo of the album above) was perfectly fluent in Japanese as I was talking with him about Lian Li's SFX-L announcement and Dirac Tesla Cube series during Tony's talk session. There's another staff member who I've seen in every Silverstone showcase in Akihabara and her Japanese is not as good as his but decent enough to allow her to serve as a translator between Tony and the Japanese media people or the Dirac crew...I forgot to mention that this biannual event has been hosted by Dirac the last few times. Today I was asking her questions in Japanese and when Tony joined us to help answer my questions after the event, I forgot to speak to Tony in English, and Tony smiled and said he doesn't understand Japanese.

And Aiboh thanks for the UL number lookup tip, I didn't choose the "UL file number" from the pulldown menu at first.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Jeez, Silverstone have a huge SFX lineup now:
300W SFX Bronze (fixed cable)
450W SFX Bronze (fixed cable)
450W SFX Gold (modular)
500W SFX-L Gold (modular)
500W SFX Gold (modular)
500W SFX-L Platinum (modular?)
550W SFX Gold (fixed cable)
600W SFX Gold (modular)
600W SFX-L Platinum (modular?)
650W SFX Gold (modular)
700W SFX-L Platinum (modular)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm expecting both the 450W PSUs and the 600W SFX Gold to disappear, leaving the following:

300W SFX Bronze (fixed cable)
500W SFX Gold (modular)
550W SFX Gold (fixed cable)
650W SFX Gold (modular)

500W SFX-L Gold (modular)
500W SFX-L Platinum (modular?)
600W SFX-L Platinum (modular?)
700W SFX-L Platinum (modular)

In my opinion that's way too much still, in my opion the 550W SFX Gold and the 500W SFX-L Platinum should not be made available with so little difference in theoretical specs.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm 99.9% sure the 600W and 500W SFX-L are modular since they're based on the 700W.

I expect the SX600-G to go away in favor of the SX650-G, but I think the ST45SF-G will stick around as a budget modular unit. The ST45SF could stick around too depending on the price of the SX550 since it's only Bronze versus Gold.

I agree on the SX500-LG, the SX500-LPT can't be that much more expensive or else there's no reason to get it over the 600W but if it's relatively cheap than the SX500-LG won't have a place either.