Power Supply SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I recently became aware that there is a revision 2.0 of the SilverStone SX500-LG. I reached out to Tony and the only change is the removal of the semi-fanless functionality.

Now the fan has a minimum fan speed of 750 RPM.

Does anyone here have one of these V2.0 units? I'm curious if this fixes the clacking noise the V1.0 sometimes makes.

Reactions: Phuncz

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
Also i'm interested in this thread..i would plan to make a new build with dan a4 silence-oriented. My choiche is between silverstone sfx-l 500 v2 and corsair sf450 then i5 6600 and gtx 1080. Attend news

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I recently became aware that there is a revision 2.0 of the SilverStone SX500-LG. I reached out to Tony and the only change is the removal of the semi-fanless functionality.

Now the fan has a minimum fan speed of 750 RPM.

Does anyone here have one of these V2.0 units? I'm curious if this fixes the clacking noise the V1.0 sometimes makes.
I've just bought on amazon this new silverstone sfx-l 500w v2.0. When it'll arrive i will post here my opinion. Thanks

Reactions: jeshikat

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks! I'm really curious if this unit still makes the slight clacking noise of the V1.0/1.1 so if you could check for that I'd really appreciate it.

Reactions: dragonerosso

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
Looking at on silverstone site the new fan speed diagram in relationship trmperatures and its curve i think this new unit it will be really really silent and cold...i saw that at 50-60 load fan speed is 850rpm and unit temperature is 30-40 grades. In comparasion to old sistem it would be top..but we would have fan alaways on but truly silent i think with more curvy thread at heavy load :) what about build quality...previously i had a silverstone sx600-g

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
Until start with my impressions i'd say that i had previous a silverstone sx600-g in my old ncase m1 sent few days ago to build a new pc so attend now to buy a dan a4 sfx with:
H170i pro ac msi mobo
8gb ram hyperx savage
I5 6600
Noctua l9i
Gtx 1080FE
And this psu, object of this rewiew :)
I noticed when pc starts no strange sounds but 120mn fan starts so quiet at very low rpm no absolutly no noise. In a common gaming sessions unit remains cold and fan is inaudible too. Fan is alaways on...from starts pc. Under test after ungine heaven and firestrike ultra unit remain silent. No clacking sounds and very cold...plus than previous silverstone sx 600g where fan started until psu arrived after 40. I'm so happy. I can conclude that this 2.0 version is really a definitive upgrade from previous versions. What's about this tony says??

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm so happy. I can conclude that this 2.0 version is really a definitive upgrade from previous versions.

Great to hear! While normally I prefer semi-fanless I ended up hating the SX500-LG V1.0 I have because of the clacking. So while I would rather have working semi-fanless, if that's not possible then I think they made the right choice removing the feature.

What's about this tony says??

What do you mean?

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I prefer semifanless too...in fact i think to replace it by amazon with a corsair sf450. With a gtx 1080 and i5 6600 would be fine anyway.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The SF450 won't necessarily run with the fan off all the time. I was doing some motherboard testing yesterday with the SF600 with everything in open air on a table and the PSU fan was spinning even though the system was only drawing 50W.

The bearings are much better than the fan in the SilverStone's, so it's quiet, but it was spinning.

Reactions: dragonerosso