Show your new toys Topic

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
It's only going to be used for local storage, so no Internet connectivity required. I'll probably use WSUS Offline to update it with whatever updates are available, for maximum stability. Surprisingly, I believe Server 2008 R2 did get an update for the recent PrintNightmare vulnerability.

Be warned....the Tuesday patch for PrinterNightmare that MS issued for W10 didn't work.

I doubt the patch for 2008 did either, but YMMV.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Be warned....the Tuesday patch for PrinterNightmare that MS issued for W10 didn't work.

I doubt the patch for 2008 did either, but YMMV.

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up.

My ASUS Router has been really good since I updated it to Asuswrt-Merlin. It's going to have to hold the fort until Microsoft tries again!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
After a few days of data moving and Dropbox syncing...all up and running. Still haven't gotten around to setting up Plex yet. Mass storage for a TB of music and movies and also hosts my backup of my Google Photos. Have Dropbox setup to mirror it so I have offsite backup as well.

With these Synologies....their SHR is basically RAID10, so one I fill up 3.6TB, I can just toss another couple 4TB drives in it....or bigger drives, and then retire the 4TB drives. Only thing still missing really is an UPS for the unit, these guys really hate having their power cut.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Only thing still missing really is an UPS for the unit, these guys really hate having their power cut.

That's the biggest issue with my old WD Sentinel DX4000. In testing over the last few weeks I pulled the power to check what would happen.

That triggered a RAID verification which took over 15 hours to complete with only 2x 2TB drives installed. The NAS was also noticeably slower to access during that time. My 4x 6TB drives have just arrived from Amazon, so if I get those working a verification would probably take well over a week.

I'm sure your new Synology won't be anywhere near as bad as that, but I bought a cheap 850VA UPS and that now triggers a proper shutdown. Well worth the $70 it cost, and as a bonus it keeps my second router up and running too.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Finally decided to buy a new 27'' monitor, despite my Dell U3011 is still functional.

Reasons/excuses:-
1. New mon has low blue light feature, a relatively new feature of recent years which the 10-year old 3011 lacks
2. 165Hz- I got to experience this first hand of what the fuss of high refresh rate is all about. Is this a pure gimmick or it has some real usage
3. New monitor estimated to work @ 35W working, which is much less than 3011's 110W. More environmental friendly and less heat!
4. New monitor is less bulky and has smaller footprint
5. New monitor is only 375 USD, which is a high cost-to-performance ratio
6. New monitor has narrow bezel which allows the use of a monitor light bar. My Xiaomi Mi Light Bar is collecting dust at the moment. It begs to be used.
7. The most important and deciding factor is that my government is handing out 'consumption voucher' which I must spend within a few months. To be a good citizen, I spend them to stimulate the economy.

New monitor is Xia0mi Mi 27'' 2k monitor (https://www.mi.com/global/product/mi-2k-gaming-monitor-27/overview).

2 online reviews if anyone wish to know this monitor:-

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Finally decided to buy a new 27'' monitor, despite my Dell U3011 is still functional.

Reasons/excuses:-
1. New mon has low blue light feature, a relatively new feature of recent years which the 10-year old 3011 lacks
2. 165Hz- I got to experience this first hand of what the fuss of high refresh rate is all about. Is this a pure gimmick or it has some real usage
3. New monitor estimated to work @ 35W working, which is much less than 3011's 110W. More environmental friendly and less heat!
4. New monitor is less bulky and has smaller footprint
5. New monitor is only 375 USD, which is a high cost-to-performance ratio
6. New monitor has narrow bezel which allows the use of a monitor light bar. My Xiaomi Mi Light Bar is collecting dust at the moment. It begs to be used.
7. The most important and deciding factor is that my government is handing out 'consumption voucher' which I must spend within a few months. To be a good citizen, I spend them to stimulate the economy.

New monitor is Xia0mi Mi 27'' 2k monitor (https://www.mi.com/global/product/mi-2k-gaming-monitor-27/overview).

2 online reviews if anyone wish to know this monitor:-
Nice spec overall.

Just missing a liiiitle bit with HDMI 2.0. 2.1 would be nice. But if you're using DP then it's not an issue.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Nice spec overall.

Just missing a liiiitle bit with HDMI 2.0. 2.1 would be nice. But if you're using DP then it's not an issue.
Am I correct to think that HDMI 2.1 only becomes relevant for 4K gaming? This monitor is 2K and so I suppose 2.0 is enough. Yes? No? And, yes, I am using DP.

Here comes the pic to fit the title of 'Show your new toys'.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Am I correct to think that HDMI 2.1 only becomes relevant for 4K gaming? This monitor is 2K and so I suppose 2.0 is enough. Yes? No? And, yes, I am using DP.

Here comes the pic to fit the title of 'Show your new toys'.

Resolution wise yes, 4K and beyond.

There are some other nice features such as Dynamic HDR and VRR. I can't remember whether these are only in 2.1 or partially available in 2.0 as well. VRR is basically similar with FreeSync/G-sync on DP. Dynamic HDR is a better dynamic rate in a nutshell.

Again these features are not dealbreakers, just a matter of feature proofing.

Reactions: tinyitx

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I added the Intel Compute Stick to my small group of stick PCs. It is the Core m3-6Y30 model.

From left to right: Intel Compute Stick, Minis Forum S40, unbranded Intel Atom stick (closest spec-wise is Terryza T6). Been trying out different PCs sticks to see which has the best size-performance ratio and as I learned they're not all as similar as I once thought.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Since Jan 1st 2022, I got quite a few new toys.

I bought myself a nice bass for a good price. This is an Ibanez AFR4FMP-TGF, flamed mapple with transparent grey finish.

The stand isn't suited for that instrument (only used it to take the pic). It's the one I use for my acoustic guitars ... really need a better one. If any of you have suggestion for a nice stable stand 😁

Since I don't have an amp, yet, I also bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen3. I've only been using the direct monitoring so far. Also worth mentioning, it works well will Linux, which was a huge selling point for me.

And last but not least, I received the deskmat I preordered a few month ago. This is an @nostyle design and the quality is top notch.

Now I only need a desk ... FML and stupidly small french appartments 😂 ...time to go back to the drawing board to revamp my living room.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The stand isn't suited for that instrument (only used it to take the pic). It's the one I use for my acoustic guitars ... really need a better one. If any of you have suggestion for a nice stable stand 😁

I remember going into a music store a few years ago to buy a guitar stand. I guess it had been a slow day and the sales guy seemed quite happy to have a "musician" in the store to talk to.

He asked me if the stand was for an acoustic or electric guitar, and I felt really bad seeing how disappointed he was when I told him it was for my Xbox Guitar Hero "Guitar" 😁

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
And last but not least, I received the deskmat I preordered a few month ago. This is an @nostyle design and the quality is top notch.

Now I only need a desk ... FML and stupidly small french appartments 😂 ...time to go back to the drawing board to revamp my living room.

Oh didn't know you're a Topre user.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Oh didn't know you're a Topre user.

That's because I am not 😂. I own two mechs at the moment:
  • an Apple M0110 (Alps SKCC Tall Cream)
  • an IBM Model F XT (Capacitive Buckling Spring)
The Apple has been fully converted to USB and I removed the locking mechanism from the TAB switch to use it as a Ctrl key. The IBM need some work as the foam is dead dry and I'm not getting the data I'm expecting to get.

I'm searching for a nice split keyboard at the moment, probably a Torn: https://github.com/rtitmuss/torn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The Apple has been fully converted to USB and I removed the locking mechanism from the TAB switch to use it as a Ctrl key. The IBM need some work as the foam is dead dry and I'm not getting the data I'm expecting to get.

Oh now I remember these haha.

Anw, ever considering to do retr0bright treatment to the M0110 case & keycaps?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

I'm searching for a nice split keyboard at the moment, probably a Torn: https://github.com/rtitmuss/torn

Wow, that layout on the Model F is something else. Had Logitech and their G-keys beat by a decade or two there :p But man, that cute little Apple unit is begging for some retrobrite.

Reactions: ignsvn

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Anw, ever considering to do retr0bright treatment to the M0110 case & keycaps?

But man, that cute little Apple unit is begging for some retrobrite.

You two are both right, I'll give it a try this summer for some extra heat and sun :)

Wow, that layout on the Model F is something else. Had Logitech and their G-keys beat by a decade or two there :p

Or maybe more, I don't know when Logi launched the G-Keys. That keyboard is from the early 80's (1984 if I'm not mistaken, should check the date on the keyboard)

Reactions: Valantar