Show your new toys Topic

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Why no picture of just the box? :p A picture or it didn't happen!
Lolol, was expecting that. It's in the mail, should reach my door on tuesday.

Pic from product page:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It hasn't arrived yet but I bought a refurb Crimson Canyon NUC for under $200. RX 540 with 1TB hard drive included (which will go into my main PC instead) and soldered 8GB RAM.

I've been getting more into gaming and emulation with mini PCs and more into SoC boards (thanks Taki and ETA Prime), and this can also work fine just for my programming projects too.

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A new toy in my system is a GT 710 PCIe x1 1GB (link) I bought months ago for my server, because my GTX 1080 suddenly died.

Seeing RTX 3070 selling between € 1.200 and 1.400 and RTX 3080 between € 1.500 and 2.000, I'm just going to manage with my In Win Chopin with GPU build (RX 460) until this shortage stops. There are worse things in life than not being able to buy a GPU.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
A new toy in my system is a GT 710 PCIe x1 1GB (link) I bought months ago for my server, because my GTX 1080 suddenly died.

Seeing RTX 3070 selling between € 1.200 and 1.400 and RTX 3080 between € 1.500 and 2.000, I'm just going to manage with my In Win Chopin with GPU build (RX 460) until this shortage stops. There are worse things in life than not being able to buy a GPU.
Sorry to hear that, may I ask how it just suddenly died? How do you know it’s dead etc? Genuinely interested in what the symptoms and the troubleshooting of it, as in coming to that conclusion. Seeing as I’ve never had a GPU die on me and I have 4 now.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Dawelio my system shut off suddenly while playing a game, not unlike a power outage.
After removing the power lead from the power supply, removing the GPU from the system, reinserting the power lead and the system boots.

I expect it to be a defect in the power that causes a short circuit, tripping the PSU's short circuit protection, but I have to test this out to be sure.

Reactions: Dawelio

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
How is it IRL? Keeb? Build quality? Panel? Eyeing replacing my Microsoft Surface with an Asus 2-in1...already missed one chance at stock.

Thinking this one: https://store.asus.com/us/item/202101AM090000008/flow-ROG-Flow-X13-Ultra-Slim-2-in-1-Gaming-Laptop,-13.4”-120Hz-Display,-GeForce-GTX-1650,-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900HS,-16GB-LPDDR4X,-1TB-PCIe-SSD,-Wi-Fi-6,-Windows-10,-GV301QH-DS96

Just handed her gift to the missus. The one you linked is not in the same league, so I'll reply reguarding that cheaper Vivibook.

Build quality is good, especialy considering the price. There's no chassis nor keyboard flex, audio is surprisingly decent for an ultrabook. Keyboard feels nice and the "numpad" feature built-in the touchpad is a real plus.

Panel is good, but don't expect colour accuracy nor very high brightness (but that was not a requirement here).

Overall it feels nice, better than my HP probook from work, which is in the same price range but offers worse perf. AMD's APU does wonder here.

Reactions: Skripka and rfarmer

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
My work laptop is an ASUS ZenBook Flip and my girlfriend's is the ASUS VivoBook.

Aside from the glossy touchscreen (which I hate) on my ZenBook, I'm very impressed with the build quality and overall performance, although the metal chassis, while rigid, is quite heavy. I've come from using various "business" laptops over the past few years with the most recent being a Lenovo ThinkPad T480s, and a Dell Latitude 5400. I think the ZenBook offers a lot more for the money than the Lenovo/Dell/HP options around the same price.

My girlfriend's VivoBook has also been performing well for the last couple of months since she's had it. The plastic build isn't as premium as the ZenBook, but it's a lot lighter. Sadly the screen on her model isn't great. It's a TN panel, and I'd highly recommend the IPS option, even for normal office work. Also, I'm not sure what the battery capacity is on the VivoBook, but it only lasts about half as long as my ZenBook, and that's with a slower processor.

If I'm being picky, I'd say that the lack of USB charging on both models has been inconvenient, but that's mainly as we've had regular power failures over the last few months, and we can't charge either laptop from my HyperJuice PD powerbank. A solution for that should be arriving next week in the form of an Eco Flow River portable power station.

Moustache

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2021
My work laptop is an ASUS ZenBook Flip and my girlfriend's is the ASUS VivoBook.

Aside from the glossy touchscreen (which I hate) on my ZenBook, I'm very impressed with the build quality and overall performance, although the metal chassis, while rigid, is quite heavy. I've come from using various "business" laptops over the past few years with the most recent being a Lenovo ThinkPad T480s, and a Dell Latitude 5400. I think the ZenBook offers a lot more for the money than the Lenovo/Dell/HP options around the same price.

My girlfriend's VivoBook has also been performing well for the last couple of months since she's had it. The plastic build isn't as premium as the ZenBook, but it's a lot lighter. Sadly the screen on her model isn't great. It's a TN panel, and I'd highly recommend the IPS option, even for normal office work. Also, I'm not sure what the battery capacity is on the VivoBook, but it only lasts about half as long as my ZenBook, and that's with a slower processor.

If I'm being picky, I'd say that the lack of USB charging on both models has been inconvenient, but that's mainly as we've had regular power failures over the last few months, and we can't charge either laptop from my HyperJuice PD powerbank. A solution for that should be arriving next week in the form of an Eco Flow River portable power station.
I bought my partner a UX393 Zenbook Pro S (black 10th gen), and it is really impressive, even if £1400.

Reactions: AlexTSG

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015

Maybe it's the older model, because the Vivobook I bought for the missus has a metal chassis and an IPS screen. I didn't bench the battery, yet, but at 50% it still has over 3.5 hours estimated (video streaming mostly)

If I'm being picky, I'd say that the lack of USB charging on both models has been inconvenient

I do agree, every laptop should use USB-C charge nowadays.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Maybe it's the older model, because the Vivobook I bought for the missus has a metal chassis and an IPS screen. I didn't bench the battery, yet, but at 50% it still has over 3.5 hours estimated (video streaming mostly)

Looking at your photos, that VivoBook does look more premium. The metal chassis and IPS display are certainly the most notable upgrades that my ZenBook has over her VivoBook, so it looks like they've upgraded the latest VivoBook.

My girlfriend is still at work, so I can't check what model hers is, but it could be the older one as it's running a 10th Gen Intel CPU, and it certainly doesn't have the harmon/kardon sound (which my ZenBook does have).

I was impressed enough by the ASUS laptops that our respective companies have bought, that I told her that we should look at the ASUS options when it's time to replace our own laptops. Although, I still haven't found a keyboard that's as nice as the one on my X1 Carbon (2017).