Show your new toys Topic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A Mac Mini M1 (don't ban me from the forum) and white HHKB

Stop laughing at us from the future, mister ARM-powered desktop.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
somehow I couldn't resist any longer, lets see what I can build with this... 🤔

Edit: I build something with it... 😅

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Belated birthday gift from my partner: new desk pad. It's a bit wrinkly after being rolled up, but that should flatten out in a few days. Kind of crashes with my favourite coaster, but never mind. Love how it looks! The print quality is great, colors are even and bright and the print even covers the stitching along the edges, but for some reason it looks like the source design came from a really low resolution image, as it isn't really all that sharp. Oh well. Definitely a massive improvement over the previous one. A tip: a white desk pad might look nice for a few days, but it'll inevitably turn disgusting. Best avoided.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring.
Hey I buy used cars. I’m cheap. Usually about 10 years old but after last year... YOLO. Only 6 years old! 😁

Zoom zoom

Congrats! A 2015 Mazda is practically "brand new". Mazda's just go on and on and on!

My family has a CX-5, CX-3, and an MX-5, and outside of normal servicing, they've never needed to have any work done on them.

Reactions: TheHig

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hey I buy used cars. I’m cheap.
I don't correlate buying a used car with being cheap, but what your expectation is. It depends if you consider a car as a status symbol or a tool. My car's brand doesn't pay my bills, so it'd better be worth the money.

After buying a new car, being convinced by peers it's apparently better than buying second-hand, I never bought new again. Such a waste of money, when you drive it off the lot, it's immediately worth 20% less atleast. Nah, I'll buy that guy's good-as-new car, give it some elbow grease with a polisher and cleaning products along with some upgrades and I'm completely satisfied. I just do my due dilligence and look up common issues, watch for typical areas that indicate repair or bad maintenance and buy from reputable dealers.

Cars are already such a waste of materials, finite fuel sources and money, I'll atleast try to do my part and buy someone else's perfectly good vehicle.

Nice car BTW ! Mazda's keep looking 5 years younger than they actually are. And technically they are sound and reliable.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
While logic tells me that buying used is a much better idea when it comes to a depreciating asset, I've bought my last few cars new.

My first car was a Toyota, which by all accounts should have been very reliable. It unfortunately cost me a lot of money in repairs at a time in my life when I could least afford it.

I have however got out of the habit of buying a new car every few years, which was a huge waste of money.

I've now had my Mazda for 4 years, and I have no plans to replace it. While it's not the most powerful car I've owned, it's hands down the most fun to drive!

Zoom! Zoom!

Reactions: Phuncz

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Congrats! A 2015 Mazda is practically "brand new". Mazda's just go on and on and on!

My family has a CX-5, CX-3, and an MX-5, and outside of normal servicing, they've never needed to have any work done on them.
I just retired a 2005 Mazda 3 hatchback to buy this one and that car treated me well all this time. Looking for years of good service from this one.
I don't correlate buying a used car with being cheap, but what your expectation is. It depends if you consider a car as a status symbol or a tool. My car's brand doesn't pay my bills, so it'd better be worth the money.

After buying a new car, being convinced by peers it's apparently better than buying second-hand, I never bought new again. Such a waste of money, when you drive it off the lot, it's immediately worth 20% less at least. Nah, I'll buy that guy's good-as-new car, give it some elbow grease with a polisher and cleaning products along with some upgrades and I'm completely satisfied. I just do my due diligence and look up common issues, watch for typical areas that indicate repair or bad maintenance and buy from reputable dealers.

Cars are already such a waste of materials, finite fuel sources and money, I'll at least try to do my part and buy someone else's perfectly good vehicle.

Nice car BTW ! Mazda's keep looking 5 years younger than they actually are. And technically they are sound and reliable.
Totally agree. The best bang for buck is in a few years old vehicle that has taken the depreciation hit. I have purchased exactly one brand new car in my life, the 05 Mazda 3 mentioned above, and that is likely the first and last one.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

After buying a new car, being convinced by peers it's apparently better than buying second-hand, I never bought new again. Such a waste of money, when you drive it off the lot, it's immediately worth 20% less atleast. Nah, I'll buy that guy's good-as-new car, give it some elbow grease with a polisher and cleaning products along with some upgrades and I'm completely satisfied. I just do my due dilligence and look up common issues, watch for typical areas that indicate repair or bad maintenance and buy from reputable dealers.

Cars are already such a waste of materials, finite fuel sources and money, I'll atleast try to do my part and buy someone else's perfectly good vehicle.

While logic tells me that buying used is a much better idea when it comes to a depreciating asset, I've bought my last few cars new.

My first car was a Toyota, which by all accounts should have been very reliable. It unfortunately cost me a lot of money in repairs at a time in my life when I could least afford it.

I have however got out of the habit of buying a new car every few years, which was a huge waste of money.

I've now had my Mazda for 4 years, and I have no plans to replace it. While it's not the most powerful car I've owned, it's hands down the most fun to drive!

Zoom! Zoom!

This is a subject that is more or less subjective and highly individual. Although personally I'm with Phuncz on this one.

If I were a multimillionaire and had enough money to not care if I buy a Volkswagen, Volvo or a Tesla, then I wouldn't care to buy it new either.

But now I'm neither of those, I'm just a regular citizen with a regular job and a regular salary, which won't make me a millionaire anytime soon.

Buying a new car is a waste of money in my opinion, as Phuncz said above, as soon as you drive it out the store - Bam! Already lost an considerable amount of percentage of it's value. And that to me, I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than feeling that blow to my wallet. Especially considering the prices that most new cars are today.

I've owned 2 cars in my life so far and both were 2nd hand. Sure it's a bit "eww" to buy someone else's car. But if you deep clean it, use anti bacterial stuff etc. It will be good as new and after a while you'll forget about it etc. And I can bet you, that it will be as good, if not even better, than a new car ever would be.

For example with PC components though, that is something I ALWAYS buy new. Because most stuff aren't that expensive, outside of GPUs and CPUs, and due to their nature, I just bit the bullet and buy new anyway. This is not the same for me as a car is, it's completely different.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
New chair for the home office. About time - the old Ikea one has served me well for many years, but its cushion is essentially nonexistent by now. Chair is an Autonomous ErgoChair2 - very comfortable, very adjustable. I really like it. The wheels have to go though - a set of rollerblade style wheels are on the way. The center column also has surprisingly little travel - if it weren't for the new wheels lifting the chair it would be on the low end of comfortable for me. I might change the centre column - that's still a cheap upgrade, and the chair still delivers plenty of value with its excellent adjustments and materials. I've honestly never seen plastic look quite this good.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Had this done for a bit, but never got to uploading. Legos, but barely.

That's a big boi over there! Some friends of mine bought me the Jabba's Sail Barge from "nolego" and it was like 90% identical to the real one, for 1/3 of the price, so very happy with that. Since we're talking about second hand, last summer I picked up the 10188 UCS Death Star from a kind vendor for a fair price. I unassembled it entirely, and cleaned brick by brick, plate by plate (warm water + soap + toothbrush). It was a real task but it made it "totally mine" if you know what I mean. After reaching some conjugal agreements about where to place such a master piece I'm a happy man 😁

Reactions: Skripka

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
New chair for the home office. About time - the old Ikea one has served me well for many years, but its cushion is essentially nonexistent by now. Chair is an Autonomous ErgoChair2 - very comfortable, very adjustable. I really like it. The wheels have to go though - a set of rollerblade style wheels are on the way. The center column also has surprisingly little travel - if it weren't for the new wheels lifting the chair it would be on the low end of comfortable for me. I might change the centre column - that's still a cheap upgrade, and the chair still delivers plenty of value with its excellent adjustments and materials. I've honestly never seen plastic look quite this good.

That looks like it's got a lot of options for adjustments.

I bought something similar a few years ago, and I really like the mesh, especially during summer. I did have to take a blower to it a few weeks ago to get rid the dust that had gathered between the frame and mesh. I'd suggest doing it outside when the time comes!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That looks like it's got a lot of options for adjustments.

I bought something similar a few years ago, and I really like the mesh, especially during summer. I did have to take a blower to it a few weeks ago to get rid the dust that had gathered between the frame and mesh. I'd suggest doing it outside when the time comes!
Yeah, it's extremely adjustable - you can set the back tilt, seat tilt, seat depth, lumbar support height, lean resistance, armrest height/width/depth, head/neck rest angle and height, and thankfully it has a proper synchronous lean mechanism (i.e. the seat and back both tilt back when you lean back, but at different rates). After using it for a day my only niggle with it is that I would have liked if the seat was maybe 5cm narrower to bring the armrests closer to me, but they're perfectly usable when typing, which is the most important part (and I guess that's what I get for choosing an American brand!). I have been longing for a mesh-backed chair for years, so that's going to be really nice going forward. Also, the seat cushion is apparently just the right combination of soft and supportive, making sitting feel profoundly weird after essentially sitting on the hard base plate of my Ikea chair for quite a while. Hopefully the cushioning lasts a while. Btw, I should have added a pic of the back of the chair, as IMO that's where it looks its best:

The "evergreen" color is also really nice - it looks duller than it is in the photos, I would describe it as a pretty vibrant apple green type color, perfectly accented by the wite+grey frame. The photos on Autonomous' web site are pretty much spot on for color on my ancient but originally color accurate Dell U2711.

Reactions: AlexTSG

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Added a bunch of nuggets to my "Vintage" iPod collection. Going to fix up and/or mod most, maybe all of them.

4x 2nd Gen Minis
1x 6th Gen Classic
2x 7th Gen Classics

Als got a worthless scruffy looking nano, instead of another gen 2 mini I ordered... Seller is being unhelpful and rude, probably going to take a loss on it.

Its actually quite a neat little player, but they're hard to fix, parts are hard to get and have 0 resell value anyway...