Show your new toys Topic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It certainly does ! Hmm maybe I should post my SFF car too (got it recently):

Toyota iQ, for the daily commute. It looks like a dinky toy from the outside but it's surprisingly roomy and efficiently built inside.

I also have a Toyota MR-2 Roadster (MR-S Spyder in the US I believe) for the more enjoyable driving :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Cool little car!

I want a Tesla Model 3 but I'm beginning to wonder if by the time I can afford one if driverless cars will be just around the corner.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Cool little car!

I want a Tesla Model 3 but I'm beginning to wonder if by the time I can afford one if driverless cars will be just around the corner.
Thx ! Driverless does seem like it's going to be here "any minute" and I'm personally very interested. Why ? Because your daily commute becomes more free time ! No longer are you wasting time on the go, you can just work online or do some 3D modelling, etc etc.
While it seems to be very far away in reality, Google already has plenty of cars driving around and I'm expecting Tesla and Apple (or maybe as one) to also bring some to the world.

Which gen MR-2 do you drive? The AW-11?
The ZZW30, I also had an SW20 before that one, it was my first car :D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
With the number of sensors Tesla like to put in already, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for an autonomous or semi-autonomous update to the Model 3 to arrive once the regulatory issues are hashed out, e.g. the Model S' autonomous driving update. If the Model 3 comes with a bunch of machine vision cameras dotted around (or some suspicious plastic knockout plugs) it'd be a good bet.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
replacment mobo for an HP CQ62. i had plans to convert it to an Intel unit after buying the wrong mobo but this one came up for a steal & i didnt much fancy cutting into the hinge mount to get the Intel board in. 1st AMD box ive had since the god forsaken K6-2!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I remember the HP CQ62 series when I worked in a computer store, did these boards have a reliability issue ?

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I remember the HP CQ62 series when I worked in a computer store, did these boards have a reliability issue ?

ohh yes, severe. It was specific to the onboard graphics overheating due to a small gap between the heatsink and chip. i stuck a copper shim in there that came w/ the board.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I see a large can of the elixir of the gods there next to the board :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Never seen or heard of it, if I stumble upon it, I'll give it a try !

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
last time i'll be spamming this thread for a bit. Todays deliverys mark a point where i have everything i need to repair everything thats broken and add a little storage to the server :D

Reactions: LooseNeutral

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hmm now I'm more interested in where it goes to :D

Recently I got this:

Fritz!Box 3490, which is an ADSL/VDSL modem/router with 802.11ac and the works.
It supports vectoring and is white-listed in Belgium for the VDSL, so I can achieve 70/10Mbit and possibly more in the future.

Reactions: jeshikat

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It has a ridiculous name, it looks ridiculous and the interface... well you get the picture :)
But apparently it's the best choice (only choice ?) when needing a proper VDSL2 modem with vectoring support. It's also quite extensively configurable, not like DD-WRT but more than most consumer routers.

Since cable in Belgium is still on a monthly limit or strict fair-use-policy and fiber is still a business-only endeavour, VDSL2 with unlimited bandwidth usage is the best option.