Show your new toys Topic

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Does foam count as a toy?

Would be interested in ambient noise differences with and without all that.

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Please disregard the clutter on my desk. I got a new desk light today. It's the BenQ light bar. Works very nicely so far, except my monitor is too wide at the top for it to sit centered (like it's supposed to be). It's controlled by the dial on the right side of the picture.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Please disregard the clutter on my desk. I got a new desk light today. It's the BenQ light bar. Works very nicely so far, except my monitor is too wide at the top for it to sit centered (like it's supposed to be). It's controlled by the dial on the right side of the picture.

I have a few questions about your new toy.
a. What do you mean by the monitor being too wide for the light bar to sit at the centre? what happens if you move the light bar to the centre of the monitor?
b. How well it works as advertised, particularly having zero reflection from the monitor screen?
c. Does it give off a lot of heat? Does it feel hot when touching the main body?
d. The Led unit is non-replaceable. Correct? When it goes, BenQ site does not seem to sell a replacement unit.
e. BenQ says it fits monitor with thickness 1cm to 3cm. My monitor has a thickness of 4cm at the top and then begins to increase.

Would you do a quick assessment and see if the support bracket could fit my monitor.
Thanks.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
b. How well it works as advertised, particularly having zero reflection from the monitor screen?

I can't see any relfecltions on the monitor. it is much better than my desk lamp in that respect. You can rotate the light bar a bit in it's bracket too to help direct the light to a particular part of your desk..

c. Does it give off a lot of heat? Does it feel hot when touching the main body?

No. wouldn't even say it gets warm. My monitor gets significantly warmer than the light bar.

d. The Led unit is non-replaceable. Correct? When it goes, BenQ site does not seem to sell a replacement unit.

Doesn't look like the led strip is user replaceable. In any case it is not sold as a spare part (as you've said).

e. BenQ says it fits monitor with thickness 1cm to 3cm. My monitor has a thickness of 4cm at the top and then begins to increase.

I don't think it will fit - i measured 35mm from edge of bracket to the hinge

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I can't see any relfecltions on the monitor. it is much better than my desk lamp in that respect. You can rotate the light bar a bit in it's bracket too to help direct the light to a particular part of your desk..

No. wouldn't even say it gets warm. My monitor gets significantly warmer than the light bar.

Doesn't look like the led strip is user replaceable. In any case it is not sold as a spare part (as you've said).

I don't think it will fit - i measured 35mm from edge of bracket to the hinge

I read your answers and was quite happy until I came to the last one...lol
But still thank you for your help.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yes indeed, that is a 6x40mm rad

No need to think about how it's 140mm deep. No need

https://photos.app.******/2vYP6ijeL7hhRTH26
https://photos.app.******/2vYP6ijeL7hhRTH26
Wonder how that thing performs with double-stacked 40mm Noctuas on it. Of course they'll struggle a lot with all the resistance in that fin stack, but they might do a decent job for not very demanding workloads? Also interesting to see double stacked on one side vs. push/pull.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Wonder how that thing performs with double-stacked 40mm Noctuas on it. Of course they'll struggle a lot with all the resistance in that fin stack, but they might do a decent job for not very demanding workloads? Also interesting to see double stacked on one side vs. push/pull.
The stock screamers are absolutely nuts, I think that push/pull noctuas have a chance though. Too bad I don't have $200 to test that theory lol

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The stock screamers are absolutely nuts, I think that push/pull noctuas have a chance though. Too bad I don't have $200 to test that theory lol
What, you don't have 12 40mm Noctuas lying around? Pfft.

On a more serious note, email Noctua and ask nicely if they want to help you out? ;)

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
I have a few questions about your new toy.
a. What do you mean by the monitor being too wide for the light bar to sit at the centre? what happens if you move the light bar to the centre of the monitor?

Would you do a quick assessment and see if the support bracket could fit my monitor.
Thanks.

Here are some answers for you. Pics will have to come later.

a: the lightbar uses a lip to hold onto the front edge of the monitor. The backside has a lightly spring-loaded weight that rests against the back side of the monitor. It doesn't open up wide enough for the top center of my monitor (Alienware 24" 1080p 240hz)

b: the bar itself rotates a few degrees in the mount (limited by the usb in). That's so you can aim it away from your monitor and stop any glare.

c: There is no heat. It's an LED strip in an aluminum tube so it runs very cool. It's kind of interesting actually. It has two rows of white LEDs; one warm and the other cold. The light 'temperature' control lets you mix the relative brightness of the two to make it more or less comfortable.

d: It's not replaceable off the shelf, no. You might be able to get some warranty help from BenQ if something were to happen.

e: This I will have to check tonight, unless you've figured it out for yourself already.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Swapped out my Sons 1660 with this used GPU so he can “Test” it for me... Pic is rough as it was late and dark and shaky and... OK its just pretty terrible but you get the idea.

Probably not getting it back.?

Ya know, I Googled the relative performance and ot seems that a 1660 ti or OC'd 1660 is roughly equivalent to a titan Xm o_O

Kind of amazing how the king of two gens back is now beaten by the mid-low end card

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig and rfarmer