Cooling Sharkoon QB One "Air Flow" question

GoodStream

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
Hello guys, I need an advice. So I have Sharkoon QB One Mitx case.

Right now my rear fan(red on the picture) works as an exhaust fan. I have one on top as intake. My cpu fan moves air from right to left. Do you think it's an optimal setup? I'm not sure about the second fan on top, hdd bay will block all air obviously.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hello guys, I need an advice. So I have Sharkoon QB One Mitx case.

Right now my rear fan(red on the picture) works as an exhaust fan. I have one on top as intake. My cpu fan moves air from right to left. Do you think it's an optimal setup? I'm not sure about the second fan on top, hdd bay will block all air obviously.

Your current setup looks ok to me.
Top front case fan draws air in to supply fresh air for the CPU cooler and hot exhaust is removed by rear case fan.
Make sure the top front fan is supplying fresh air fast enough into the case and the rear fan is also exhausting fast enough.
Regarding the top rear fan, it is usually better for it to exhaust as its position is well beyond the CPU cooler. So, supplying fresh air into the case is meaningless while it might potentially help removing hot air exhausted by the CPU cooler.
(But, as it is just a choice between intake or exhaust, why don't you just try both to see the actual result.)

alexs

Chassis Packer
Nov 20, 2018
Unless you have a good use for the HDD bay (or rather, the 5" bay), just remove it.
It serves no purpose in this case other than blocking airflow.

My personal preference is that top fans should be exhaust fans, because that's how hot air would like to move anyway.
But afaik it doesn't matter than much, so if there are reasons to keep them as intake fans that's fine.

With two fans top blowing up, and the CPU fan blowing up, I would try removing the intake fan.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
at the Moment, I have a Sharkoon C10, so same layout.
I had 80mm rear intake, 120mm Tower cooler, 120mm front top exhaust.

I removed the rivets, that holds the 5,25“ drive bay. Now I have a good airflow. Only GPU exhaust with a Tall PCB is a real Problem...intake is fine, but Air gets trapped...

Now I move on to a Louqe Ghost S1.