SFX or Archdaemon

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Gury seems to have more on his plate than usual.......I have had 2 units from him previously and although not speedy, this time it really seems to be dragging.
That being the case, and me being quite eager to try out a new setup, I am considering SFX again: I did buy one before, but never fitted it....ended up giving it away and getting the 300 watt Archdaemon. Unfortunately I did not plan ahead with it and bought for the then current needs, APU, (2400) so no PCIE.
Now upgrading to R5 2600 and an EVGA GTX950, so definitely need some overhead and a PCIE 6 pin.
I have in mind one of the new Corsair SF range, the 450 watt,the range gets decent reviews plus the cables are now paracord sleeved and not the stiff plastic sheathed.
The case is a Lian Li Q21 and the specs give CPU cooler height as 60mm max.....I have a C7 with a 92mm Noctua fitted, total thickness 25mm as opposed to C7 fan`s 15mm. Worst case this takes up 57mm of the 60mm available and I am aware this may not be enough space for good air intake. Comments on this welcome..
I will probably go for the Gold rated, see no need for the Platignum, but then again may be tempted if price offset not too bad.
So any views or advice on the above would be welcome.

Mod break: here are the 11 dots your title had for no apparent reason: ...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Obelisk

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
The gold does not come with the Paracord cables you so desire.
Actually after reading further reviews I do not have any desire for this unit whatsoever, It is the usual SFX noisy product that may be fine if your machine is in another localization, or if you choose to use your PC as a games box with lots of sound effects, but neither of the above apply to me, so it will remain just another one ticked off the list.
As for the paracord, if I want paracord and the unit comes without, it is a simple sleeving job anyway, so no great concern to me but thanks for taking the trouble to point it out.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Gury seems to have more on his plate than usual.......I have had 2 units from him previously and although not speedy, this time it really seems to be dragging.
That being the case, and me being quite eager to try out a new setup, I am considering SFX again: I did buy one before, but never fitted it....ended up giving it away and getting the 300 watt Archdaemon. Unfortunately I did not plan ahead with it and bought for the then current needs, APU, (2400) so no PCIE.
Now upgrading to R5 2600 and an EVGA GTX950, so definitely need some overhead and a PCIE 6 pin.
I have in mind one of the new Corsair SF range, the 450 watt,the range gets decent reviews plus the cables are now paracord sleeved and not the stiff plastic sheathed.
The case is a Lian Li Q21 and the specs give CPU cooler height as 60mm max.....I have a C7 with a 92mm Noctua fitted, total thickness 25mm as opposed to C7 fan`s 15mm. Worst case this takes up 57mm of the 60mm available and I am aware this may not be enough space for good air intake. Comments on this welcome..
I will probably go for the Gold rated, see no need for the Platignum, but then again may be tempted if price offset not too bad.
So any views or advice on the above would be welcome.

Mod break: here are the 11 dots your title had for no apparent reason: ...........
Catching isn`t it?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Actually after reading further reviews I do not have any desire for this unit whatsoever, It is the usual SFX noisy product that may be fine if your machine is in another localization, or if you choose to use your PC as a games box with lots of sound effects, but neither of the above apply to me, so it will remain just another one ticked off the list.
As for the paracord, if I want paracord and the unit comes without, it is a simple sleeving job anyway, so no great concern to me but thanks for taking the trouble to point it out.

Actually most users find the fan on the gold units almost never comes on and is very quiet. Additionally, the Paracord cables are different and more flexible instead of just sleeved. You can buy the flexible Paracord cables separately directly from Corsair.

I'm a Silverstone guy myself and have had their 450w, 550w, and 650w SFX and SFX-L units over the years .

Just food for thought :)

Reactions: stree

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I have a Corsair SF450 that I use regularly. To be completely honest - I've never once heard the fan. The loads I put it through don't seem to be enough for the fan to kick in, I've seen it drawing up to 300 watts on the watt meter at the wall. If you're talking about using it with an Ryzen 5 2600 and a GTX 950 I think the fan would rarely turn on for you, as that would be less power draw than my system.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
The corsair PSUs are great, I'm using the sf600 and I never hear it above my CPU or GPU fans when under load. If you do choose to go with the G-Unique though, I am selling my 300w unit. I could DM you the reddit post since I'm not trying to make this post an add.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Good points, thank you both.
I have been building and using low/mid powered ITX units for a good few years now and until recently I could manage quite well with Pico or even Pico clones, some of which are very good.
Before this I built ATX, as most folk did I suspect, and after the initial plain grey box PSUs I have had Be-Quiet modular ( failed after 14 months)
Superflower, top of the range unit when they first came out and this failed after about 17 months.
I also bought as a "get me by" a used Targan, built like a rock and just worked for 3 years and then sold it on to get Seasonic and have stayed with Seasonic until I finished with ATX because their PSUs just did the job quietly and stayed cool and did all I needed. With no failures.

Then along comes ITX and mostly APU so Pico was fine until the point where a 160 watt unit was not really enough and just about then heard about G-unique and have had 2 flawless units and just ordered a third.
So to be frank, fitting TFX SFX type PSU did feel a step backwards, not in quality or specification, but in the quest for small as possible enclosures. This current build is in a Lian Li Q21, but the case is not a favourite of mine, quite flawed in fact and I will not be keeping it long term, and I will have to think how to transfer the 2600/GTX950 over to a smaller unit, such as Realan EW80.
Hearing nothing from Gury I thought SFX may be the way I have to go, but yesterday Gury accepted the order and now its 3 or 4 weeks to wait and I get what I ideally want.

Thanks again for giving me your experiences with SFX though, much appreciated, and knowledge never goes to waste!

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
The corsair PSUs are great, I'm using the sf600 and I never hear it above my CPU or GPU fans when under load. If you do choose to go with the G-Unique though, I am selling my 300w unit. I could DM you the reddit post since I'm not trying to make this post an add.

I could always have a look at your offer as well , so DM is fine, thanks.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I could always have a look at your offer as well , so DM is fine, thanks.

If your looking to buy and sell hardware please keep it in the buy / sell / trade forums.

Reactions: Soul_Est