Slim EATX case, should I ditch my 5960x or the battle of centimetres

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Greeting great community!

I have been busting my head for the past days and although my question is not really small, I decided to give it a shot.

Currently I use the big old, but still my favorite, CM Cosmos S to accommodate my ASUS R5E, 5960x, 290X + the rest and custom loop. Great build for me, nice water cooling but for a very trivial reason I will need to let it go - I have now less space for my PC so I need to shrink it. Obviously this is big, power hungry task. No matter what I do, my new case should not be more than 21cm in width. And obviously it will need to have ATX PSU compatibility, as I don't think SFX PSU will see bright days with these overclocked.
The only suitable case I found was Phanteks P400.
And the Cerebrus X, obviously. The only thing that bothers me is the ATX PSU placement. As if it makes it even harder to do the things, which are hard enough with these parts.

Are there any other slim, E-ATX, ATX PSU cases out there which I missed? It has to be max 21cm. Even 23cm is already breaking the deal.

Or should I ditch all of this now and either go with current gen mATX/ITX hardware or wait for the Ryzen 4000 family and generally move down to smaller farm factor?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I won't answer the question, sorry ... but what's your wattage requirements ? Silverstone offers 700W SFX with 80PLUS Platinum rating and 800W SFX-L with 80PLUS Titanium rating

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Completely honestly - I don't know that. I never measured the system and I cannot measure it at the moment - broken pump :/

However, by reading on the internet I'd calculate something like this for peak consumption:
290x - 300W
5960x OC - 300W
HDD&SSD - ~50W
Fans - 20W
Other - maybe another 30-40W

So, this totals up to ~700W. Of course, it could be less in reality and this will be only while gaming or so. But nevertheless, fully loaded SFX does not sound like a great deal :/