Best mini-ITX with vertical GPU and window?

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
So, after discovering my girlfriend quite liked the "aura" lighting feature on my new Asus Geforce 1070 STRIX card (and discovering that the SilverStone RVZ02B + SilverStone 700 watt SFX-L PSU were a no-go combo if I wanted to keep the case panels on), I'm trying to find a mini-ITX case that could make the girlfriend happy by showing off the GPU, while still being nice and thin... and without having the PSU overheating issues the SilverStone did.
My main issue thus far has been my card dimensions: 11.73" x 5.28" x 1.57" (or 297.942mm x 134.112mm x 39.878mm for all you folks who like your measurement systems based on logic and reason rather than "because America!"). I actually wanted a 1080 (the GIGABYTE XTREME or the ASSUS STRIX), but they've been pretty much unobtainable for a month and a half... though my current card is still within the return window.
As for a slim case with a window... I've not really found much. I'm leaning towards the non-windowed Fractal Node 202 since it's a similar layout to the RVZ02B, but looking like it has better ventilation. According to multiple builds on PC part picker, my Shuriken Big would also (barely) fit in there, despite the supposed 56mm height limitation. I'm considering the new Corsair 600 watt SFX PSU due to positive reviews and 7 years of warranty (and because of my bad experience with the SilverStone.) The Lian-Li 750 watt should also (very tightly) fit, though I worry about running into potential overheating issues there too. I've not completely ruled out the slightly better ventilated version of the Raven (the RV02B-W), but am pretty reluctant due to the odd PSU heat issues I previously encountered.
I'm also seriously considering designing and fabricating a case too, but need a fix for the interim.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Lian Li's "console" type case?

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-o7sw/

Reactions: Phuncz

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
The Lian-Li PC-05X was one I considered for a bit, but it's not currently available in the US (that I've seen). If I've read things right, I'd have to take out the "main" hard drive bays to fit my GPU and still have room to tuck a 2.5" and a 3.5" behind it (using up one of the three PCI slots). Alas, No PC-05X models available to order... only the PC-05S and larger models :(

Yeah, it's fair to say I'm looking for a "console" style case. I did a "cube" style case over a decade ago, back when "shuttle" brand SFFs were an exciting new concept. It wasn't very pretty :p

Last edited:

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
You're options are very limited if you have those conditions. The Lian Li 05 is the closest that you can find. But if you want more like Fractal Node 202 design, check out Steiger Dynamics Era. Price is steep. But no need to show off your GPU. You can show off the case itself :cool:

I've almost bought that chassis, but bought Josh's S4 Mini instead. :)