Production SFFTEC Shipping Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
Apologies all. Family found out about hamilton streaming on disney. My evening plans got changed for me ;) Will build and test today.

System build as follows:
b450 strix
Ryzen 5 1600 af
16mb 3200 Vengeance
Gigabyte GTX 2060 Aero

Can't pull a ton of wattage with this setup, but loaded it all up and ran conjunction of furmark and r20 on loop for an hour.

Peak draw was only 433 watts

Peak decibels is hard to say for the unit. Cables are short enough that there's no opportunity to sound isolate the PSU, and the Gigabyte 2060 puts out a ton of noise. I'd kill furmark and try to see if I can get a better sense of sound levels, but that would kill the power draw. You can definitely hear the unit in the cacophony, however, as it's a higher pitch than the others, but from a pure decibel level, it's not topping the Gigabyte.

At idle, i'm able to detect a high pitched whine from the unit, but I need to be pretty close to it and actively listening for it. If your room is pretty quiet and your case is right by you, you will definitely be able to notice it, even though it really is quite faint.

All in all, I'm happy with the unit so far. Much quieter than my old FSP.

Remember that the unit doesn't come with a power cord, so if you don't have a spare (I really doubt anyone on this forum doesn't have a spare) you might want to order one.

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
Since our area didn't have any fireworks due to Covid, I found myself with some spare time this evening to do something equally spectacular/idiotic.

Pulled apart a sidelined rig with a custom loop and rigged up a fan-less icebath setup to isolate PSU fan noise.

The goodnews: The fan is much quieter than my anguished screams of "F*&#ing LEAKS! WHY?!?!?!".

Once the rig was properly working, my decibel meter app registered the PSU at 38 decibels drawing a 512W load with microphone 1 ft from PSU.

That meter I suspect is a bit under, so I'd guess 38-42 decibels is realistic for full load.

Meter indicated 29 decibels for idle at 1 ft from PSU, but i'm not sure I'd fully trust an app when in that low of a decibel range.

System Used:
z270 Taichi
1080 TI

Tristanoz

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020
Since our area didn't have any fireworks due to Covid, I found myself with some spare time this evening to do something equally spectacular/idiotic.

Pulled apart a sidelined rig with a custom loop and rigged up a fan-less icebath setup to isolate PSU fan noise.

The goodnews: The fan is much quieter than my anguished screams of "F*&#ing LEAKS! WHY?!?!?!".

Once the rig was properly working, my decibel meter app registered the PSU at 38 decibels drawing a 512W load with microphone 1 ft from PSU.

That meter I suspect is a bit under, so I'd guess 38-42 decibels is realistic for full load.

Meter indicated 29 decibels for idle at 1 ft from PSU, but i'm not sure I'd fully trust an app when in that low of a decibel range.

System Used:
z270 Taichi
1080 TI
LOL!

Thanks for going above and beyond. I think those apps are not very accurate no. What about your personal opinion of the sound under load? Thing is with fans, I don't mind a lot of noise if it's just static white noise. It's the high pitch and rattling that gets me.

Either way, I'm sure it will be fine once I install it and stop actively listening for it anyway haha

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
LOL!

Thanks for going above and beyond. I think those apps are not very accurate no. What about your personal opinion of the sound under load? Thing is with fans, I don't mind a lot of noise if it's just static white noise. It's the high pitch and rattling that gets me.

Either way, I'm sure it will be fine once I install it and stop actively listening for it anyway haha
It's pretty high pitched and, because of that, unique in the soundscape of the room. That alone makes it noticeable to me. However, that's only under load. It definitely fades into the background on normal use. But I game with a set of headphones, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

Reactions: SFFManiac07

kojimagtr

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2020
I ordered on Feb 29th, my payment cleared, but I have yet to see any shipping info. I sent an email a week ago, and I've still not heard back.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting a unit or if I'm getting a refund. I have some important life stuff going on and I'd really like the unit so I can finish my build to sell, but this dictates what I will be doing.

Could you please post a status update?

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Jun 26, 2020
I ordered on Feb 29th, my payment cleared, but I have yet to see any shipping info. I sent an email a week ago, and I've still not heard back.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting a unit or if I'm getting a refund. I have some important life stuff going on and I'd really like the unit so I can finish my build to sell, but this dictates what I will be doing.

Could you please post a status update?
If you read the above post you will find the answer to your question.
SFFTEC already confirmed that any order with confirmed payment will be fulfilled, so you will receive your PSU not too long from now.
The PSU was sent to 10 testers in advance to the other buyers just to be 100% certain that everything is fine. They will send to all the other buyers after the tester confirms full operability, so you'll just need to be patient for a little longer.

On that note, I'm one of those testers and my unit should arrive on Wednesday according to tracking. I will post my tests as soon as I receive it.

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Jun 26, 2020
Hi guys,

My PSU arrived today, earlier than expected.
The PSU looks good, it was well packed and it looks really good in black.

First thing I tested is the pin layout. I've checked all connectors with a multimeter and everything is perfect.
On no load, the fan spins right away at low rpm. The fan is smooth and it does not do any sound at that speed but it does push already quite a bit of air.

After that, I inserted it into my system.

Building experience is not the greatest, because the cables are rather stiff. That said I would consider that both a positive and a negative: it makes it a bit harder to pack the PSU is tight spaces, but the cables have a good memory so they will stay where you put them once flexed.

After that, I run OCCT CPU+GPU for half an hour. I don't have a wattage meter so I cannot tell the exact maximum I reached, but for sure I am above 400w.
Currently, I have i7 4770k, RTX 2070 Super, two SATA SSD and 4 fans. GPU is running at 111% TDP with 1950Mhz and 7810Mhz on the mem, CPU is at 4.4 GHz.
(I'm currently doing an upgrade to a Ryzen 3900x so I will do further testing with a more demanding system in a few days)

banjamin

Efficiency Noob
Feb 27, 2020
Hi all,

My PSU arrived yesterday afternoon. The PSU was well packaged and in great condition. Installed it into a Formula 2s case with:
MSI z490
32 gb corsair lpx
5600 xt

Powered up my components without any issue, silent on idle. I have not stress tested anything yet, but I am happy with how everything came together.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Installed it into a Formula 2s case with:

Hi, banjamin, maybe not the right place to ask, but somewhat relevant: the Formula 2s is a pretty tight case. How did the cable management work out with the SFFTEC cables?

Tristanoz

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020

Hey guys, my unit arrived today. Feel like I am going to be repeating a lot of the things said above but here is my review.

The unit is well packaged, no issues there. The unit itself looks clean and indeed factory made instead of some custom modifications. The coating on the paint doesnt look like it will wear easily. See the photos for reference.

The cables are as long as advertised. However, there are indeed quite stiff so if you need the full length stretching them might be kind of difficult.

I put the unit in my PC with a Ryzen 3600 and a RTX 2070. It powers the unit just fine when running prime95 and Heaven and the same time. I dont hear the fan ramping up at all under load. This is no suprise since according to the graph on the website the fan should stay at the same RPM until about 400W.

I did have some acoustic problems before though, which almost made me think I had a faulty unit. The fan was vibrating, which was making the surface it was sitting on vibrate with it. If I lift the unit up, it stops the sound. My metalfish s3 comes in tomorrow (after going through shipping hell, great timing with the PSU though!) and I will have to see if it will make the case vibrate. If so, I will have to find a solution to isolate the sound. I have some rubber pads under the unit now, but they dont seem to be helping much. If anyone has tips for anti-vibration measures I would love to hear you out!

In conclusion I am very happy with the product and hope everyone gets theirs soon.

kojimagtr

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2020
If you read the above post you will find the answer to your question.
SFFTEC already confirmed that any order with confirmed payment will be fulfilled, so you will receive your PSU not too long from now.
The PSU was sent to 10 testers in advance to the other buyers just to be 100% certain that everything is fine. They will send to all the other buyers after the tester confirms full operability, so you'll just need to be patient for a little longer.

On that note, I'm one of those testers and my unit should arrive on Wednesday according to tracking. I will post my tests as soon as I receive it.
OH wow! Sorry! Yeah I guess I overlooked post #34, my bad. Last I saw was that he would send after the testers were sent.

Thanks

SFFTEC

Average Stuffer
Original poster
SFFTEC
Nov 17, 2019
www.sfftec.com
Hey guys.

Thanks for the reviews. Just a few left now, but everything seem good!
On my end it's 90% done, and I should be able to ship all remaining orders at once, in the next 10 days.
After it's done, I'll announce another batch that is planned to ship on end of August.
I appreciate the patience, and I'll keep you updated.

Regards

LiquidHaus

Efficiency Noob
Jul 7, 2020
liquid-haus.squarespace.com
Super disappointing coming across this thread. I ordered yesterday after eyeing this PSU off and on since last November. Felt like I got lucky with the site saying in stock and so I bought one yet they've been out of stock for almost a week now?

Really hoping I can still snag one. I'm shocked it's still listed on the site as being in stock.

LiquidHaus

Efficiency Noob
Jul 7, 2020
liquid-haus.squarespace.com
Super disappointing coming across this thread. I ordered yesterday after eyeing this PSU off and on since last November. Felt like I got lucky with the site saying in stock and so I bought one yet they've been out of stock for almost a week now?

Really hoping I can still snag one. I'm shocked it's still listed on the site as being in stock.

Apologies for coming off rude on this post. I see that people have been waiting quite a long time and I'm over here making a fool of myself.

Lequu

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 19, 2020
Damn I missed the tester phase. PSU is the only component missing in my build so I'm eagerly waiting for it. Thanks to SFFTEC and testers for the updates.

banjamin

Efficiency Noob
Feb 27, 2020
Hi, banjamin, maybe not the right place to ask, but somewhat relevant: the Formula 2s is a pretty tight case. How did the cable management work out with the SFFTEC cables?

Hi, when I get home later today I can take some photos if it helps but I will say these cables were quite literally the perfect length for this case. The only issue might be the stiffness of the cables themselves but that is not a big deal at all in my opinion.

EDIT: Here are some photos of my build put together!

Last edited:

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
It's pretty high pitched and, because of that, unique in the soundscape of the room. That alone makes it noticeable to me. However, that's only under load. It definitely fades into the background on normal use. But I game with a set of headphones, so I'm not overly concerned about it.
My s3 arrived today so I finally built out the system.

Under gaming load the PSU is dead silent. Or, at least, silent enough that I do not observe it, even when putting an ear close to the case.

Rig:
Metalfish s3 w/ included 80mm fan set to ~1100 rpm
1600 AF w/ NH-L9A undervolted
Gigabyte 2060 ITX (even undervolted at 867mv/1910mhz this thing gets hot and the fan is loud... Not obnoxiously so, but louder than I typically like... Anyone know if the 5700 or 5600xt's are quieter?)

I'm having a hard time detecting the whine I heard from the PSU at idle when everything was just built outside the case.

YMMV

pwneta

Cable Smoosher
Apr 13, 2020
wahoo! thank you to all testers and to @SFFTEC for going through all this work. ordered mine back at the start of June and can’t wait to receive such a sexy psu :) glad to hear everything’s moving along steadily!

OlliBolle

Chassis Packer
Jan 14, 2020
Glad to see its going to be a good unit. Still waiting for mine that I ordered in December. Seeing people praise SFFTEC after their awful treatment of customers is mindblowing!

Reactions: rfarmer
Status
Not open for further replies.