Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's Z370 DeskMini GTX1060 - Barebones Bonanza?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
When Craig reviewed ASRock's B250 DeskMini GTX1080, we were impressed by the utter performance density offered by the platform. A GTX1080, with desktop GPU performance, in a box under 3 litres of volume. Today it's my turn to look at a DeskMini GTX/RX model, albeit the next generation, based on Intel's Z370 chipset.

The ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX line is based on the Micro-STX form factor, a variation on the STX form factor originally launched by Intel as "5x5" a few years back. ASRock realised that by adding in a mere 2 inches in length (ugh... metric plz) meant that the addition of an MXM slot was possible, opening up the form factor to upgrades of the GPU variety.

Lets's see what this iteration of the DeskMini has to offer! A note before we begin; the ASRock DeskMini product line is a barebones product, with the chassis, power supply, WiFi card, motherboard and MXM graphics card included. You'll have to add your own storage, CPU, CPU cooler and RAM for this system to be bootable.

This article will be published in two parts, due to the length of the content, and the detail I've gone into. Part two will be published in one weeks time and will be linked here when published.

Read more here.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Wonderful read :) I appreciate your eye for the details in the chassis design. It really highlights the little things that go a long way into making an exceptional product.

What I've always found neat and yet somewhat worrisome with the STX format is having the front IO integrated. I suppose I just enjoy feeling like I can swap enclosures at a whim :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
What I've always found neat and yet somewhat worrisome with the STX format is having the front IO integrated. I suppose I just enjoy feeling like I can swap enclosures at a whim :)
It's not really a practical problem, because the mSTX format has this in its spec. So any mSTX case needs to have that cutout and you'll be able to upgrade the front I/O along with the board, which often needs to be the case anyway (USB Type-C currently for instance).

In my opinion, it's a good choice for this format.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
However, action by NVIDIA to curtail the sales of MXM outside the laptop space
That's interesting, and not something I can find reported elsewhere. Do you have any more info on this? I could see wanting to limit/prevent the use of mobile-binned GP104/GP106 dies on desktop cards (as while those are the uppermost binning with the lowest available voltage for the specced performance) limiting use of desktop-binned GPUs on MXM cards doesn't make much sense.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That's interesting, and not something I can find reported elsewhere. Do you have any more info on this? I could see wanting to limit/prevent the use of mobile-binned GP104/GP106 dies on desktop cards (as while those are the uppermost binning with the lowest available voltage for the specced performance) limiting use of desktop-binned GPUs on MXM cards doesn't make much sense.

That's information I've been told by numerous industry partners who do not wish to be named.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
I buy a new Asrock X99 motherboard last year, it's terrible in stability, many times restarts automatically, driver not start..., use very old wifi card for new motherboard, It makes me very worry about Asrock quality, I now use goods from other branch like MSI, Asus...

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I buy a new Asrock X99 motherboard last year, it's terrible in stability, many times restarts automatically, driver not start..., use very old wifi card for new motherboard, It makes me very worry about Asrock quality, I now use goods from other branch like MSI, Asus...

Maybe it had a defect, happens with all manufacturers. Also, issue can come from many things like CPU, Ram, PSU ... Those three can cause nasty stability issues.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If it's an AzureWave Wifi card, I think most motherboard brands (including Asus ;)) have stopped using those after X99 and Z87 boards. They gave a lot of people headaches. Why a system is unstable can have so many reasons and basing this on one bad experience is going to leave you with no brand to choose from in the end, because all of them can have issues. Some more than others but one sample size won't give you a meaningful statistic.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Drive not auo-start and I have start manually in Windows is USB 3.1 and wifi ( intel 31XX) all are on board component. (yellow color ! in windows DM).
Can't install new wifi card driver after 1 month using due old wifi card model. I used 3 Asus, 1 MSI, 1 Asrock and just unlucky for me with Asrock.
Can't bring to shop to complain with this kind of problem (because it working and just some times happen) I sell it after 3 month using.
I will use Asrock back if I get the same problem with all Asus, MSI, Giga...