Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Alucard

Trash Compacter
Nov 24, 2018

Here, latency settings and more at 4000MHz CL18 completely stable for Crucial Ballistix DDR4 SO-DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 memory sticks, tested with an AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G and Asrock X300M-STX(BIOS v1.58) motherboard (from DeskMini X300). I wrote in yellow more relaxed latency settings in case of instability coming from the memory controller in the InfinityFabric because having tested ten different Ryzen 4xxxGs, the quality/stability of their memory controllers could vary enormously from one processor to the next other and it does not matter the model (by this I mean that even if it is a 4700G/4750G with fully activated CPU and iGPU cores implies by that a general quality of superior silicon and well, in fact it doesn't have the slightest impact)
Will these settings work with BIOS 1.70?
Sorry for my bad English

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Hi guys,

I was connected my speaker to 3.5mm front panel port audio.
But from windows 10, this panel is not a HD Audio (driver is from Realtek)

HD Audio only enabled via HDMI port (driver from AMD HD Audio Device)
Is it possible to get HD Audio via 3.5mm front panel port?

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
I haven't tried, but I think there's a BIOS setting for it, take a look.
My BIOS is 3.60S.

I look on Advance->Onboard Devices->On Board Audio. The value is already ON.

Not found other settings that could related to Audio on this BIOS. Is this BIOS supports such setting?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I also have some weird audio gremlins, specifically the only ports I can get high quality audio from are the USB C port or front headphone port, HDMI/DP audio or audio using the 'rear audio extension' that connects to the internal header are gutless subpar experiences.

Maybe I should dig into my bios for that setting tho, I didn't know there was one in there.

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
I also have some weird audio gremlins, specifically the only ports I can get high quality audio from are the USB C port or front headphone port, HDMI/DP audio or audio using the 'rear audio extension' that connects to the internal header are gutless subpar experiences.

Maybe I should dig into my bios for that setting tho, I didn't know there was one in there.
Your case is the opposite of mine. Mine, HD Audio only available from HDMI port, while on front headphone port, just Audio. What BIOS version do you have?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
... Well, it seems I won't be happy with A300 anymore. So sad that issues, support, and bad quality product - in that regard.

Thought to switch:
- MSI B550 Mortar
- 600W modular 80%+ Gold
- g.Skill 32GB ddr4, Cl16, 3600
- ITX Case
---------- about 400€

Later dedicated Gfx.

Taking my M.2 & SSDs with, also Ryzen 2400G.

Later a300 -> VM. Sadly SO-DIMM have to be used somewhere

Apologies for replying to an older post, but got curious as to hear of your potential experiences with that MSI B550 Mortar? Are you still running? If not, how come? Have you had any issues with it?...

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Apologies for replying to an older post, but got curious as to hear of your potential experiences with that MSI B550 Mortar? Are you still running? If not, how come? Have you had any issues with it?...
Hello, dear friend. I'm still running the A300 after upgrade to Ryzen 4650G :)
The 2400G will find some day a place back. Currently it's not my priority. Thanks for asking tho ;)

Greetings

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
#audio
i had test x300 (firmware 1.72) an usb audio card with hub with arch linux. all some minutes a sound lag. (not good if using usb headset, because this will re-setting configs in as like as telegram).
the usb sound card works fine in a300 (3.60S) with manjaro linux.

i do not know why. i am would say.... not enough power for x300, because so much hardware inside. it is still annoying that x300 get same old low power suppy, how a300. <-- but i do not really know it if this is the problem. so the usb sound stick was a good xmas present :-P (sound is ok so, but i do not how check if other chip is better than onboard) [cmedia CM6208 / CM6209 vs. realtek AC-3168] \o/

the old problem with usb dvb-s stick still alive, too.
since March 2020, i do not know if my linux is a bad choise or the uefi firmware is suxx.... but today hmmm it is ok enough to say deskmini is ok. i play often games with just good ram (ballistix 3200mhz) and apu (4650g). and with newest wine and lutris works UAR (starcraft 2 arcade game), very well! ( i was waiting 2 years!)

Last edited:

Alucard

Trash Compacter
Nov 24, 2018
#audio
i had test x300 (firmware 1.72) an usb audio card with hub with arch linux. all some minutes a sound lag. (not good if using usb headset, because this will re-setting configs in as like as telegram).
the usb sound card works fine in a300 (3.60S) with manjaro linux.
My USB Fosi DAC-Q4 works perfectly, no sound issue.

since March 2020, i do not know if my linux is a bad choise or the uefi firmware is suxx.... but today hmmm it is ok enough to say deskmini is ok. i play often games with just good ram (ballistix 3200mhz) and apu (4650g). and with newest wine and lutris works UAR (starcraft 2 arcade game), very well! ( i was waiting 2 years!)
I have a problem with the new Ryzen 5700G processor. It freezes certain games, e.g. Life is Strange 2, (native and Proton) Diablo 3 (wine)... etc. I changed the kernel, (LTS, ZEN, AMD) mesa driver (mesa v22, AMDGPU...) but nothing changed, the game still freezes after a few minutes.
I tryed a Fresh install (Arch, Ubuntu, Pop!_OS...) same hardware, same Game (Life is Strange 2) and BIOS setup etc, BUT freezes.
Finally I installed Windows and it works, it does not freeze! so no hardware problem and not OS specific issue...

I have no idea what the problem is.
- DeskMini x300
- Ryzen 5700G
- Crucial Ballistix 16GB KIT 3200MHz [BL2K8G32C16S4B]
- BIOS 1.70

Sorry for my bad English!

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I am excited with this DeskMini B660 . Here in Europe a company uses the Deskmini platform for fanless PCs.
Can't wait for its B660 version.
Well dang, I almost regret getting the X300 now.
That pcie 5.0 m.2 slot would be a real boon for my stupid dGPU build, especially if it was the rear slot, oh well.
Maybe at some point I can get the b660 version and sell on my X300 or something.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Well dang, I almost regret getting the X300 now.
That pcie 5.0 m.2 slot would be a real boon for my stupid dGPU build, especially if it was the rear slot, oh well.
Maybe at some point I can get the b660 version and sell on my X300 or something.

Asrock also announced the DeskMeet, an 8L barebone with internal PSU, 4x DIMM and dual slot PCIe-16X: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=4802. That would make for a nice modding platform ;) ... but it doesn't seem to have PCIe gen5 nor USB3.2 gen2

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Good spot there Guille!

That looks a great platform to play with, the motherboard has the look of Shuttle about it in its dimensions.
4 DIMM slots!! Available in both platforms too...

The B660 looks to have the edge with 2x M.2 slots and 3 SATA ports

I wonder how expensive they will be compared to the Deskminis, having watched the video the PSU is ATX - a lot of cramming involved there!

Reactions: Curiosity

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
3200 vs 4000 MHz (OC)
https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini X300 Series/index.asp what SO-DIMMs they are means? and what CPU is recommend for reaching 4k RAM overclocking?o0
i prefer 2x16GB, because 16GB is sooo hmmm ol´zcoool :p
For Ryzen systems, 3600 MHz DDR4 memory is recommended because that's the highest frequency the infinity fabric can also run at. And you can actually benchmark games to prove this. Anything higher than 3600 MHz might actually have lower fps.

Hello @gustav, hello other old timers..... I haven't checked into this forum for a while now. Still running my 4650G PRO on A300 with 3.60S BIOS. Remember I had trouble running my RAM at higher frequency than 2400 MHz? I was thinking the Vsoc was the culprit but it turns out I had shitty brand memory (local V-GEN brand) and I had ordered Team Zeus SODIMM memory just like this one.

I'm really hoping I can run this pair of bad boys at 3600 MHz at low CAS latency. I will let you know how it goes in a day or two. :D

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
For Ryzen systems, 3600 MHz DDR4 memory is recommended because that's the highest frequency the infinity fabric can also run at. And you can actually benchmark games to prove this. Anything higher than 3600 MHz might actually have lower fps.
Infinity fabric clock depends on the Ryzen generation. Older generations have a lower maximum for the IF. The default maximum setting on Ryzen 5000 is 1800. therefore 3600Mhz would be the optimum. But Ryzen 5000 can run also IF of 1900 or with luck even 2000 if you set the Infinity fabric by hand. But you need to be able to set it in the BIOS.