Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
So i have save the motherboard bios on my HDD .

But how can I install it back? If i make the normal way with Instant flash. It sais to me it can't read the security information.

In UBU i can analyse the bios complete. Everything is there. If anyone know how please tell me a way. Thanks

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I mostly want RAID in a small form factor. I travel quite a lot so want a SFF pc. Usually I buy monitors on the spot.

Just general use, not a gamer. web browser, photoshop, that sort of thing. So I liked the a300/x300 since it has two hdd slots for raid0 and an m2 ssd. a dedicated graphics card would be a plus (i sometimes work in AE) but it's not worth the extra 5L of space in my suitcase imho. 700 euros is at the top end of what I'd be willing to pay for. Sorry if it's the wrong thread for this...
IMO the Lazer3D HT5 should be pretty ideal for your usage. It can fit HHHL/low profile GPUs if you want one (and has a blanked-out backplate for use without one), can house two 2.5" drives, fits a decent CPU cooler like the Noctua L12S, and is still just 5.3l in volume. The only drawback would be the acrylic build (won't stand up to wear and tear as well as metal), but the panels are thick and should be durable enough. And you should still be able to power that with any ~200W PSU, even with a 65W CPU/APU and a 75W dGPU added in.

Reactions: smolfactor

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
So i have save the motherboard bios on my HDD .

But how can I install it back? If i make the normal way with Instant flash. It sais to me it can't read the security information.

In UBU i can analyse the bios complete. Everything is there. If anyone know how please tell me a way. Thanks
Maybe there is read-protected area on the flash, so you couldn't capture any keys? I dunno tho

Maybe some header in the .bin missing, maybe some kind of checksum / fingerprint missing. we don't know how the tool reads the flash. I guess you have to search the internet.

Reactions: alles_alles

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Maybe there is read-protected area on the flash, so you couldn't capture any keys? I dunno tho

Maybe some header in the .bin missing, maybe some kind of checksum / fingerprint missing. we don't know how the tool reads the flash. I guess you have to search the internet.
Have it Read out with :

AMI | Power - Manage - Secure | BIOS ⁄ UEFI Utilities

AMI Firmware Update (AFU) --> Aptio V Utilitys .​

Its very hard to find good information how to save bios from Deskmini or bios in generally. .. Maybe i have to use the

AMI BIOS Configuration Program (AMIBCP), AMI Setup Control Environment (AMISCE), AMI Setup Data Extraction (AMISDE)​

AMISLP , AMI Key Management (AMIKM) to verify the read out bios?

I don't have any idea. I search for a solution for long time...

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@alles_alles ok, I managed to read out my flash, and compare my ROM against ASROCK 3.60R ROM - ID and GUID are the same.
Reading using AFUWINGUI v5.13.00.05 - I suggest you start there. Compare both files (if you can)

It's "Failed!" when I try to flash the ROM I've read from the flash.
It's "Failed!" when I try to flash the original 3.60R ROM using AFU.

Flashing only "Main BIOS Image".

The ROM-layout is not the same. If you open both files in hex editor, they have different data at same offsets.
Therefore: The tool reads out the BIOS but in which manner I don't know. I won't spend any further time on that issue, sorry.

So, first of all - your flash read-out may not be sufficcient enough for the tool to reverse. Unfortunately, I don't know how the tool works and whether it reads secured areas (e.g. adress where your Windows-Key is stored in, and so on)

smolfactor

Chassis Packer
Apr 16, 2020
IMO the Lazer3D HT5 should be pretty ideal for your usage. It can fit HHHL/low profile GPUs if you want one (and has a blanked-out backplate for use without one), can house two 2.5" drives, fits a decent CPU cooler like the Noctua L12S, and is still just 5.3l in volume. The only drawback would be the acrylic build (won't stand up to wear and tear as well as metal), but the panels are thick and should be durable enough. And you should still be able to power that with any ~200W PSU, even with a 65W CPU/APU and a 75W dGPU added in.
while I have your attention, do you know of a case around that size which would stand up to a lot of wear and tear?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
while I have your attention, do you know of a case around that size which would stand up to a lot of wear and tear?
Hm, not that I can think of. The closest would probably be the Lone L5, but that's no longer in production and I don't think it would fit 2x 2.5" drives + a GPU. It's reportedly a really nice case though.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I mostly want RAID in a small form factor. I travel quite a lot so want a SFF pc. Usually I buy monitors on the spot.

Just general use, not a gamer. web browser, photoshop, that sort of thing. So I liked the a300/x300 since it has two hdd slots for raid0 and an m2 ssd. a dedicated graphics card would be a plus (i sometimes work in AE) but it's not worth the extra 5L of space in my suitcase imho. 700 euros is at the top end of what I'd be willing to pay for. Sorry if it's the wrong thread for this...

You may have a look to my SMALL1. Pretty solid aluminum extrusion case, up to three 2.5" SSDs and LP GPU support in a 4L package.

If you don't care about some minor issues and just need some case I have made a few prototypes which are still looking for a new home. :)

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
@alles_alles ok, I managed to read out my flash, and compare my ROM against ASROCK 3.60R ROM - ID and GUID are the same.
Reading using AFUWINGUI v5.13.00.05 - I suggest you start there. Compare both files (if you can)

The ROM-layout is not the same. If you open both files in hex editor, they have different data at same offsets.
Therefore: The tool reads out the BIOS but in which manner I don't know. I won't spend any further time on that issue, sorry.

So, first of all - your flash read-out may not be sufficcient enough for the tool to reverse. Unfortunately, I don't know how the tool works and whether it reads secured areas (e.g. adress where your Windows-Key is stored in, and so on)
Deskmini and Windows Key. ? No there isn't. That wasn't with OS :D . Thanks for your testing and information.

So I want to saver Original Bios because on AsRock.com you find the old Version only. And the bios of X300 have only JZ . AsRock haven't the 1.46B version of Bios.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
ASRock Deskmini A300 + ADT-Link R43SG M.2 to PCIE adapter + SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 5500 XT 4GB eGPU build - Part 1

Time has finally come! See the main steps of my long-awaited A300 eGPU build below ?

M.2 adapter arrived (dusty little Deskmini waiting for a minor surgery):

Cable has to go through here (what and where to cut? :\):

Not much clearance when assembled but should be enough (fortunately cut-out only needed for the ribbon cable, not the adapter part):

I/O shield cut (lower right edge completely removed):

(Note: Bending metal failed :( Very thin material, broke off at last phase while grinding edges. I guess it simply does not worth the effort, still leaves sharp edges on the sides that can damage the ribbon cable.)

Adapter easily connected to rear M.2 slot (clever & flat solution from ADT-Link, fits perfectly under the motherboard):

OK, not so fast! :p

Problems:

(Note: Cable has no flex to the sides at all, so it does not align with the new hole on my i/o shield. My bad, always measure twice before cutting ;) More dremeling needed. Also cable has to be protected against that metal VGA port mounting teeth thing. 4 layers of duct tape solves this though)

I/O shield cut-out is ok now (with tiny DIY plastic cosmetic & protecting plate glued to the metal), GPU succesfully connected:

All set! The eGPU is hidden behind my desk with all the power bricks, cables etc. (placed on a matching DIY shelf):

Closer look (with the Dell PSU brick attached):

And that's it! Hardware setup is no big deal if you know what to cut and how much to cut... and now you do :p

(To Be Continued... - Part 2 coming in a separate post with GPU operation/testing - Spoiler: It works!)
One question. Where have you buy this adapter and where have you buy the powersupply for gpu adapert?

TomHC81

Trash Compacter
May 21, 2020
www.sitepoint.sk

I'd suggest to make a full BIOS dump in a HW way, using EEPROM reader like CH341 or RaspberriPI (or clone) with flashrom tool.

Reactions: gustav

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
with that i have build out the bios chip ?

Yes, you would have to desolder it (very highly), read and then solder back on :)

I'd suggest to make a full BIOS dump in a HW way, using EEPROM reader like CH341 or RaspberriPI (or clone) with flashrom tool.
Oh, yes very good point! But I did not want to go that "low-level", since it requires soldering. (again, very probably)
But check the Voltage levels before unsoldering with a Voltmeter. I'm kinda paranoic whether 3.3V or 5V :)

But you can (almost) always rescue a flash by that principle.

Deskmini and Windows Key. ? No there isn't. That wasn't with OS :D . Thanks for your testing and information.
I know there is no Windows key :D It was just an example / for a placeholder, for couple bytes in the secured area. At this point I'm guessing, but it has to be done somehow, right.
You're welcome :) you may try out to open your BIOS file with the UEFI tool to check the partitions. 3.60R for example has valid partitions - AsRock's 1.40 BIOS has them probably too.
Could be also the case that it's just binary data once flashed on the chip instead of being a more kind of "high-level composed modular object", which partitions resemble.

I mean the flash tool does some magic to the bios file and then writes it onto chip. I don't think that it is as simple as it was in earlier days plain hex or like in ATmega programming for example anymore.

Last edited:

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
One question. Where have you buy this adapter and where have you buy the powersupply for gpu adapert?

m.2 adapter: best prices on aliexpress (i bought mine here). for a300, you need R43SG version! also i recommend the 50 cm cable length for more freedom.
dell psu: best prices locally, extracted from used optiplex sff pc-s (i bought mine for ~14 eur). you can try ebay as well

Last edited:

Serj47

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2020
Hi guys.
My build with 3400G worked fine, but now it started to malfunction, the desktop or chrome just freeze sometimes once a day, regardless of the load on the system.

To achieve the quietest system operation, my BIOS settings are as follows:
Bios 3.60K:
-PSTATE0 = 3300Mhz
-CPB = disable
-SOC Voltage = default, I didn't change it.

I checked the SOCVoltage value with and without load and HWiNFO always shows the voltage always ~ 1.085v. I don’t understand what voltage is better to set?

Memory Micron 3200 8GB * 2 BIOS timings correspond to datasheet. The memtest at the stock frequencies runs smoothly.

cooldude94

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 7, 2021
Hi All, i am considering buying the Deskmini A300 as the X300 is not available in my country.
I wanted to ask if it will support the ryzen 4650g processor out of the box? If not can we update the bios without the Processor(Through USB). Also are the 4th gen APU officially supported now or are they part of beta bios? Any issue with the deskmini i should be aware of? Thank You.

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Hi All, i am considering buying the Deskmini A300 as the X300 is not available in my country.
I wanted to ask if it will support the ryzen 4650g processor out of the box? If not can we update the bios without the Processor(Through USB). Also are the 4th gen APU officially supported now or are they part of beta bios? Any issue with the deskmini i should be aware of? Thank You.
It does not support the Zen3 APUs out of the box. You need one of the previous CPUs to upgrade the bios. They are not officially supported, only through a beta bios. Many Deskmini A300 struggle to run the Zen3 APUs with the RAM at anything above 2400MHz.

cooldude94

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 7, 2021
It does not support the Zen3 APUs out of the box. You need one of the previous CPUs to upgrade the bios. They are not officially supported, only through a beta bios. Many Deskmini A300 struggle to run the Zen3 APUs with the RAM at anything above 2400MHz.
Thank You. Will i face any issues with 3400g and 2666 RAM?

Serj47

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2020
Thank You. Will i face any issues with 3400g and 2666 RAM?
If the memory is on the list of supported, then there should be no problem. I am using memory that is not listed, and it works, but recently the system has started to freeze.

(Installed one 8Gb*2 memory module (mta8atf1g64hz-3g2j1) with 8 Micron chips (9XJ45 D9WSM), 4 chips on each side)

cooldude94

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 7, 2021
If the memory is on the list of supported, then there should be no problem. I am using memory that is not listed, and it works, but recently the system has started to freeze.

(Installed one 8Gb*2 memory module (mta8atf1g64hz-3g2j1) with 8 Micron chips (9XJ45 D9WSM), 4 chips on each side)
Thank you.