Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
... I too have the flickering issue, after i bought a 4K monitor. ... i decided to swap the HDMI cable for a Displayport cable, and the problem has not occurred anymore. So i hope your monitor has Displayport.
  • Philips 276E8VJSB Monitor
I have the same monitor.

Now I have received my second replacement A300 (made in October last year). The flickering problem now seems to point to the Philips 4k Monitor's HDMI 2.0 ports themselves. The latest A300 still flickers intermittently via the HDMI port connection but again does not flicker via Displayport.

When I connected it to my 4K-tv, a Philips 50PUS7334 Android-tv, via HDMI 2.0 with HDR enabled this A300 does not flicker at all. (the previus A300 did flicker a little bit here)

So one can say the A300 is very picky with 4k-HDMI 2.0 connections, compatibility problems are possible. Maybe the Philips monitor itself has HDMI 2.0 poorly implemented.

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
finally got my a300, initial 2200g build with g.skill ripjaws 3000 mhz and noctua nh-l9a-am4 is ready. fingers crossed for renoir support.

two things:
- Wesley88 about the need of dust filtering, see my silverstone SST-FF123B after 2 days of mild usage:

- about noctua fans: have been thinking about switching original brown fan of nh-l9a-am4 to a new chromax variant. as you can see, the black swap 92x92x14 mm version has higher speed/noise than the stock nf-a9x14 pwm. i guess this is the only option though, as the 92x92x25 mm nf-a9 pwn is 1-2 mm taller than the max clearance we have, so i guess witout case cutting no other black option remains. wondering if this nf-a9x14 hs-pwm chromax version with +13% airflow is futureproof enough for possible ryzen 4x00g apus?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
finally got my a300, initial 2200g build with g.skill ripjaws 3000 mhz and noctua nh-l9a-am4 is ready. fingers crossed for renoir support.

two things:
- Wesley88 about the need of dust filtering, see my silverstone SST-FF123B after 2 days of mild usage:

- about noctua fans: have been thinking about switching original brown fan of nh-l9a-am4 to a new chromax variant. as you can see, the black swap 92x92x14 mm version has higher speed/noise than the stock nf-a9x14 pwm. i guess this is the only option though, as the 92x92x25 mm nf-a9 pwn is 1-2 mm taller than the max clearance we have, so i guess witout case cutting no other black option remains. wondering if this nf-a9x14 hs-pwm chromax version with +13% airflow is futureproof enough for possible ryzen 4x00g apus?
The brown NF-A9 fan bundled with the NH-L9x coolers is supposedly the same speed as the retail chromax fan. Noctua tends to do this, bundle slightly faster fans with coolers than they sell at retail (the fan on the NH-U14s is similarly a 1500rpm variant vs. the 1200rpm retail version). They apparently didn't bother making two Chromax variants of the fan, so all of those are the faster type, whether retail or bundled. So you wouldn't gain anything.

d3w

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jan 6, 2020
@ConsolidatedResults, run Unigine Valley 1.0 on Ubuntu 19.10 for 15 mins

2400G with A300 box cooler
CPB: off
P-state 0: 3.2GHz
TDP: 45W

lm-sensors max readings are:
57C for CPU/GPU
74C for CPUTIN

for a CPU-only test using "stress -c 8 -t 15m", max temps are:
57C for CPU/GPU
54C for CPUTIN

I run this setup as my daily driver (web dev) for months already and the CPU temp most of the time stays within 30-40C. Haven't tried the cooler that came with the 2400G yet, but the little A300 box cooler does the job (very low noise with fan speed set to ~1000RPM for temps <50C).

d3w

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jan 6, 2020
Rerun the tests @ 3.6GHz and TDP 65W

Unigine Valley peak temps:
58C for CPU/GPU
74C for CPUTIN

CPU-only "stress -c 8 -t 15m" peak temps:
75C for CPU/GPU
56C for CPUTIN

ambient is 22C

Also, I suspect a scenario where P-state 0 is set to something very low like 2GHz and fan speed is set to like 10% (low RPM) for CPU temps up to 60C, and then on GPU intensive load, the CPUTIN temps climbing fast.

Last edited:

Artmov

Chassis Packer
Nov 28, 2018
If anyone can help with a few questions.

1. Differences between A300 and A300W?
Is it just the inclusion of Intel AC-3168 Wi-Fi Kit? Why is it needed?

2. For office use, word/excel/browsing/multitasking... 3200G vs 3400G? Is there noticeable real world difference for productivity?

3. Any noticeable real world difference in ram speed? For example 2666 vs 3000?

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
@ConsolidatedResults, run Unigine Valley 1.0 on Ubuntu 19.10 for 15 mins

2400G with A300 box cooler
CPB: off
P-state 0: 3.2GHz
TDP: 45W

lm-sensors max readings are:
57C for CPU/GPU
74C for CPUTIN

for a CPU-only test using "stress -c 8 -t 15m", max temps are:
57C for CPU/GPU
54C for CPUTIN

I run this setup as my daily driver (web dev) for months already and the CPU temp most of the time stays within 30-40C. Haven't tried the cooler that came with the 2400G yet, but the little A300 box cooler does the job (very low noise with fan speed set to ~1000RPM for temps <50C).
Rerun the tests @ 3.6GHz and TDP 65W

Unigine Valley peak temps:
58C for CPU/GPU
74C for CPUTIN

CPU-only "stress -c 8 -t 15m" peak temps:
75C for CPU/GPU
56C for CPUTIN

ambient is 22C

Also, I suspect a scenario where P-state 0 is set to something very low like 2GHz and fan speed is set to like 10% (low RPM) for CPU temps up to 60C, and then on GPU intensive load, the CPUTIN temps climbing fast.

EDIT:
Ohhhh, after posting this I realized you are running Linux, so you can't be running the D3D renderer but must be using the OpenGL renderer. So I reran the "Basic" preset but with OpenGL as the renderer instead of D3D. It does behave quite differently, power usage is skewed more towards CPU and less towards GPU, like up to 8W more CPU and up to 5W less SOC at the 3.6GHZ 65W setting. So the SOC VRMs will be less loaded. Readings were max 62°C CPU, 57°C GPU and 74°C CPUTIN after around 15min. Like your results. I should have just used the box A300 HSF ;) Thanks once more for your posting, super interesting to me.

Original:
Wow, thank you so much for running these. I like Valley. On a 2400G, no matter the cTDP configuration or CPU underclock, it will push around 22W-26W SOC according to Ryzen Master. In peak that is almost as much as Furmark. CPU Wattage will be around 3-5W lower with the 45W cTDP 3.2GHz setting than with 3.6Ghz 65W

3.2 GHz 45W, closed case, around the same ambient I get 56°C CPU, ~79°C CPUTIN @1600RPM 92x25mm fan
3.6GHz 65W, closed case, again same ambient I get 62°C CPU, ~82°C CPUTIN @1800RPM 92x25mm fan
Open case temps are generally around 10°C lower

So, you post a bit better absolute temps, as well as a better delta T between CPU / GPU and the SOC VRM temps. With the default thermal solution :) I have just checked the boxed fan and wow that thing does push quite a bit of air at 100% RPM which appears to be around 3600 RPM. Does it spin up to max for you during testing?

Last edited:

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019

2. For office use, word/excel/browsing/multitasking... 3200G vs 3400G? Is there noticeable real world difference for productivity?

1. Yes, just the Wi-Fi Kit. It adds wireless LAN and Bluetooth connectivity via an m.2 formfactor expansion. Without it or a different wi-fi kit you can only connect to a network and consequently the internet with an RJ-45 LAN cable. You can get better wifi kits than the 3168 for fairly cheap, there were some recommendations in this thread I think.

2. I don't think so.

3. Within the context of an APU (2000G/3000G series), there is a measurable and potentially noticeable difference for gaming / 3D workloads

Reactions: Artmov

d3w

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jan 6, 2020
Yes, OpenGL

I have the following fan speeds set in BIOS
Temp 1 (50C): 10% ~1000RPM
Temp 2 (60C): 60% ~2000RPM
Temp 3 (65C): 75% ~2500RPM
Temp 4 (70C): 90% ~3000RPM
75C runs full speed 3500RPM

Tried a value of 30% for Temp 1, but it's then considerably more than 1000RPM and too noisy. During tests verified that all other percentages translate accordingly.

d3w

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jan 6, 2020
Also before assembly I saw this video and decided to go with the A300 box cooler first

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
PCIe hot-plugging is not supported. I've tested that for y'all today by accidentally plucking my NGFF drive. ;)

1. Don't buy the A300W unless you need Wifi+BT like “now.” The card is outdated.
Here you'll find what I recommend, delivery off Ebay or whathaveyou will take some days though: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...skmini-a300-finally.10553/page-24#post-166246
2. Get the Ryzen 3200G.
You'll likely be able to use its fan which is quite silent, and the 12nm parts' memory controller is less picky when it comes to memory sticks.
3. Memory speed, MT/s: Only go below 3000 if you need to save money; but then you'd go for an Athlon 3000 in the first place.

Set a fan-curve in BIOS/UEFI (I didn't bother), or try my config for fancontrol for Linux:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...skmini-a300-finally.10553/page-24#post-167993

Last edited:

rook

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2018
@LostEnergy I believe there is an option in the BIOS to have m.2 always on. I'm pretty sure I plugged in my GPU with the comp on though, and whatever the BIOS default was. It's been awhile.

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Well, the A300 never fails to fail me.

With second replacement A300 an old friend from the Deskmini H110 mainboard is back: electric noise. I have only the loud Athlon stock fan at the moment and only noticed the noise when I let the A300 go into sleep mode.
There is a quite annoying high frequency coil whine pulsating in sync with the blue power LED in sleep mode.
In hibernation mode there is a less audible constant whine.

I like to keep my mini-ATXs on the desk behind the monitor stand and a tiny alarm siren as a permanent backround nuisance at standby is inacceptable.

This sealed it for me and I am giving up for good after the third A300 disappointment.

Other robservations: while this A300 also flickers occasionally connected by HDMI 2.0 to my Philips 4K monitor it does NOT flicker while playing youtube 4K-videos full screen. Weird.

Also, I got HyperX HX432S20IBK2/32 Impact SODIMM from an Amazon warehouse deal. At 3200 MHz it has officially CL20 latency, at the 2666 MHz of the Athlon 3000G it has CL17 stated in JEDEC (no XMP defined for 2666 MHz).
But the A300 had to restart four times to actually boot with that RAM and it settled with CL18. Manually setting CL17 doesnt work, it restarts twice to settle with CL18 again.

Now the question is: does the warehouse RAM or the A300 suck here?

Anyway I will keep using my smooth i3-7100/Asus H110S1/CSM mini-ATX combo untill something of quality shows up for Renoir.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Regarding coil whine... I haven't noticed anything during normal use (so far), but when I turn off the A300, there is a high pitch noise coming from the top of the motherboard (when the case is standing vertically). I suspect it's close to where the AC-DC adapter plugs into the motherboard. So basically it stands where doing a quite audible high pitch whine when turned off. Highly annoying.

Anyone experience the same? What causes it, and how can I get rid of this?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Regarding coil whine... I haven't noticed anything during normal use (so far), but when I turn off the A300, there is a high pitch noise coming from the top of the motherboard (when the case is standing vertically). I suspect it's close to where the AC-DC adapter plugs into the motherboard. So basically it stands where doing a quite audible high pitch whine when turned off. Highly annoying.

Anyone experience the same? What causes it, and how can I get rid of this?
Might be whine from whatever circuit is generating the 5VSB rail? I believe the most accessible DIY solution to coil whine is to glue down the offending coil, for example using superglue around its edges. (Read up on this before attempting it, I am by no means an authority on the subject. Do at your own risk.) I recently saw someone recommend a mechanics' stethoscope for pinpointing the source of noise like this, that might be a good idea.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Might be whine from whatever circuit is generating the 5VSB rail? I believe the most accessible DIY solution to coil whine is to glue down the offending coil, for example using superglue around its edges. (Read up on this before attempting it, I am by no means an authority on the subject. Do at your own risk.) I recently saw someone recommend a mechanics' stethoscope for pinpointing the source of noise like this, that might be a good idea.

I don't really have the energy/tools to locate the exact component that makes the whine, and then put glue on it. It will probably end up in a disaster. But thanks for the suggestion, though.

I was more hoping for other solutions like changing a setting the BIOS (that perhaps changes the "idle" power draw, that might reduce the coil whine), or switch the ac-dc adapter to another one. Another solution would perhaps be to cut the power to the ac-dc adapter when I turn off the A300. But that is annoying as well.

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Also, I got HyperX HX432S20IBK2/32 Impact SODIMM from an Amazon warehouse deal. At 3200 MHz it has officially CL20 latency, at the 2666 MHz of the Athlon 3000G it has CL17 stated in JEDEC (no XMP defined for 2666 MHz).
But the A300 had to restart four times to actually boot with that RAM and it settled with CL18. Manually setting CL17 doesnt work, it restarts twice to settle with CL18 again.

Now the question is: does the warehouse RAM or the A300 suck here?

Not neccesarily either, that all sounds normal to me. From what I just read the actual die in a 3000G could be either full Raven2 or partially disabled Raven Ridge. Either way, Raven should default to 2666MTs with RAM with a 3200 JEDEC Profile, both my 2200G and 2400G at least did. Also starting from 2666, it should operate in Geardown mode (GDM). Basically that allows address signals only on one flank of the clock but data signals still on both, which helps with stability at higher speeds. One effect of GDM is that it allows only even values for CL, so that is where the CL18 comes from. This can be turned off in the timings screen quite at the bottom but is generally recommended to be left on, as it makes it much easier to reach stability at higher speeds.

If you want to go beyond 2666 and test whether your RAM is indeed bad, you will either have to load the XMP Profile in BIOS or, if that doesn't work, manually set speed (and potentially timings). Start by increasing the speed only, leaving all timings on auto, then do the timings. 3200 at the rated timings and DIMM voltage of your module looks achieveable to me unless the memory controller in your 3000G is horrible. Two caveats, your modules are dual rank which typically do not like to go as high in speed or low in timings as single rank. Secondly, since you should be on a 3.XX BIOS, up to the JEDEC speed of your DIMMs the SOC Voltage setting in OC Tweaker will have no effect. If your RAM does not work at 3200 or is unstable, try setting 3266, which should automatically apply 1.1V SOC and now also allows you to manually set SOC Voltage. This make magically make it stable.

If it doesn't go beyond 2666 at all or even if it is unstable at below 3000 I would probably try to return it, because generally A300 can do 3200+ and Raven can do 3200 and from browsing some reviews the 3000G specifically can do 3200.

There is a quite annoying high frequency coil whine pulsating in sync with the blue power LED in sleep mode.
In hibernation mode there is a less audible constant whine.

[...] when I turn off the A300, there is a high pitch noise coming from the top of the motherboard (when the case is standing vertically). I suspect it's close to where the AC-DC adapter plugs into the motherboard. So basically it stands where doing a quite audible high pitch whine when turned off. Highly annoying.

I was more hoping for other solutions like changing a setting the BIOS (that perhaps changes the "idle" power draw, that might reduce the coil whine), or switch the ac-dc adapter to another one. Another solution would perhaps be to cut the power to the ac-dc adapter when I turn off the A300. But that is annoying as well.

All of this very noticeable on the first A300 I had. Whine when turned off or in hibernate. Pulsing whine in sync with LED when in sleep. I had to RMA the unit for a different reason, and subjectively the replacement unit (same mainboard revision - 1.02) has less whine but instead noticeable chirping from the VRMs under load :D

It should be an effect of 5V standby power and there is definitely power supplied to the USB ports even when shut down. You might try to enable the "Deep Sleep" setting from Advanced -> North Bridge Configuration and ensure Onboard LAN Power On and RTC Alarm Power On are disabled in Advanced -> ACPI Configuration. See https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=444

Not sure how the Deep Sleep setting behaves with Windows Hybrid Sleep, Windows Fast Start and Windows Hibernation, so may want to try to turn Hibernation off to ensure you only get "Suspend to RAM" and "Off" but none of those shenanigans: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ble-hibernation-on-a-computer-that-is-running

Reactions: Quango