Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
Forgot to say anything after my first post.
First to say that I still am looking for a better cooling solution, not happy even with Noctua's temp performance

I have 3x
2x A300W +USB 2.0 + Audio header + VESA Mount
Both have 3400G + 16GB 3200 CL16, updated WiFi cards, 2x 2TB Firecuda's
One has 2x 512GB 970 Pro's, the other has a mix of NVMe's that I have forgotten but where cheap-o's

1x A300W Stock
2400G + 16GB 2666 CL18

I took a dremel to one of them to increase the hole size that seemed to help airflow, but I sadly lack the patience to do that for every fracking hole...

Anyone know of a better HS/Fan combo? I have even mounted a Noctua fan on the outside and put just an oversized HS inside...

Last edited:

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
My cooling solution ...

On #489, I since got an HP400 and one can indeed turn it 180°, with the heatpipe bends facing toward the front of the case. I then swapped the HP400 fan for the NF-B9 redux which I ran on the ID-Cooling IS-30 before, using zip-tie screws. I had to shave of about 1mm of the fan frame where the notches are in the top/side panel that the latches on the tray slide into. Tightest possible fit while keeping everything inside the case :)

Of the 3 coolers that I tried (Stock AMD, IS-30 + NF-B9, HP400 + NF-B9) this one is the "best" yet with Idle temps are around 10-12°C over ambient @800RPM. It can't keep a 2400G at all-core boost, but it can typically prevent throttling below base clock unless it's something like y-cruncher or furmark + cpu stress.

There's only so much room in there for heatsink and fan.... If one already has a NH-L9a you could try swapping the stock 14mm fan for a 25mm, e.g. the NF-A9 PWM or if you prefer not to get eye-cancer the chromax.black version of that fan for ~50% higher airflow and pressure. I don't think it could get much better without casemod or custom case.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4758406

greengooseman

Efficiency Noob
Nov 14, 2019
Forgot to say anything after my first post.
First to say that I still am looking for a better cooling solution, not happy even with Noctua's temp performance

I have 3x
2x A300W +USB 2.0 + Audio header + VESA Mount
Both have 3400G + 16GB 3200 CL16, updated WiFi cards, 2x 2TB Firecuda's
One has 2x 512GB 970 Pro's, the other has a mix of NVMe's that I have forgotten but where cheap-o's

1x A300W Stock
2400G + 16GB 2666 CL18

I took a dremel to one of them to increase the hole size that seemed to help airflow, but I sadly lack the patience to do that for every fracking hole...

Anyone know of a better HS/Fan combo? I have even mounted a Noctua fan on the outside and put just an oversized HS inside...

Noctua NH-L9a mids 70's @ full stress on my 3400G and 3200mhz Ram

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Has anyone tried this mini-STX case from Akasa? It possibly has no room for an underside NVMe, but offers "Maximum CPU cooler supported height: 46mm", additional 2x USB 2.0 and a side mounted 50 mm fan.

Cypher ST

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I read from this

that 90mm fan from l9a could be replaced with 120mm fan.

Anyone here have tried to replace the fan with NF-A12x15 PWM?

I have both, not in use*, because all the performance reviews regarding where minor pittance of 5c~ for temps
*with the stock 90mm, not the 120mm

120mm is gonna be a pain to mount due to the size (I had taken apart the chassis on one to mod, basicly grinding the squares into round holes on the side panel for more airflow), I REALLY wish I could find a 30mm tall heatsink (heatsink itself, not HS+Fan) to truly sink the heat into with the 90mm or 120mm slim fan on top

That or a 40-45mm heatsink and putting the fan on the outside... ugh, the A### series (not just the AMD A300) screams for a proper HS/FAN to fully take advantage of that sexy body!

EDIT: that all said, hopefully the Zen2+Navi chips are cooler and as powerful so maybe this will be a nonpoint, with that said, in the bounty thread I requested anyone actually owning the A300, please reach out to ASRock support and request they update the A300 BIOS with proper 1.0.0.4B AGESA, please anyone able take up this cause, dont be mean, or rude, and yes the 1.0.0.4B does have impact on Zen+ based chips not everything but some things, just a poke to ASRock that there are lots of users wanting it to not be forgotten!

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
[...]That or a 40-45mm heatsink and putting the fan on the outside... [...]

EDIT: that all said, hopefully the Zen2+Navi chips are cooler and as powerful so maybe this will be a nonpoint [...]

The new Scythe Shuriken 2 heatsink may barely fit (it's 93mm x 94mm). 42mm tall without fan. Orientation would not be that great though, fins would run lenghtwise and not cross (i.e. not aligned with VRM heatsink fins.

Prolimatech Samuel 17 I think could barely fit if only it had AM4 brackets. It is 45mm tall without fan. Actually, from layering a drawing of the heatsink onto a picture of the mainboard, it looks almost like it was made for it, if the case was 2-3cm wider and had a larger fan intake section. Clearance on the VRM side might be sketchy, especially the caps. Again, no mounting brackets for AM4 and no official AM4 compatibility.

Oh and Renoir is Vega, not Navi. Vega10, Vega12, Vega20, Raven, Raven2, Picasso, Arcturus and Renoir are all GFX9 family, while Navi10, Navi12, Navi14 are GFX10

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
[…] Used the following components:
- Ryzen 3 3200G
- Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
- Intel 660p 2 TB (*sigh* the 665p just released today...)
- [memory]

I disabled PBO and CPU boost in BIOS, […]

(Write and read- (!)) Performance difference between the 660p and 665p is minimal once the drive is filled >50%. If you went with the 660p, perhaps even for a better price, it's still been a good enough choice imho.

If someone is willing to pay 20% or more premium, then a TLC drive is the better pick. I did not need that better performance or durability, and assume most enthusiasts overestimate effects.

FYI, the Noctua is a nice cooler, but the one that comes with a Ryzen 3200G is good enough imho. Whether the cpu idles at 42°C or 43°C – doesn't really matter for its longevity. Save some money. (I'd use the Noctua with a 2400G or 3400G, but then that's a 90%+ difference in price in comparison to a 3200G.)

I am using Samsung 970 EVO Plus, got it cheap. […]

Samsungs up to including the 970 line have firmware bugs, won't wake up from suspend or (power management caused) sleep (modes). That's why they're blacklisted and excluded from deep-sleep under Linux (the list is far from complete, browse through distributions' bug trackers!).

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019

FYI, the Noctua is a nice cooler, but the one that comes with a Ryzen 3200G is good enough imho. Whether the cpu idles at 42°C or 43°C – doesn't really matter for its longevity. Save some money....

The Noctua is not about the temps but about being quiet. If you keep it at some constant speed below 1000 rpm for a wide enough temp range, it is near inaudible.

And that is something I really appreciate. My little Intel STX box ist sitting behind the foot of my monitor and I can't hear it most of the time :)

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Hello,

Anyone know what is the connector size of the DeskMini A300 DC power supply?
5.5 x 2.5 to my knowledge.

Why? What shenanigans are you planning?

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Does the Athlon 3000G actually work in a A300 with BIOS 3.50?

I had ordered a new Deskmini A300 (made this November) and a new Athlon 3000G (as a temporary solution until Renoir becomes available) but whatever I tried not even the power LED would light up. No reaction at all. Tried two different SODIMMs and components from my older Deskmini H110 without avail.

I have no other AMD APU to try and assume the Deskmini is faulty and willl try to replace it, or the 3000G is not compatible with the BIOS, I don't know.

BTW, the coolers provided in the Athlon and the Deskimi boxes are identical.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I had ordered a new Deskmini A300 (made this November) and a new Athlon 3000G (as a temporary solution until Renoir becomes available) but whatever I tried not even the power LED would light up. No reaction at all. Tried two different SODIMMs and components from my older Deskmini H110 without avail.

I have no other AMD APU to try and assume the Deskmini is faulty and willl try to replace it, or the 3000G is not compatible with the BIOS, I don't know.

It says on site that the 3000 is supported since BIOS 3.50, so it's not the BIOS.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019

Are you sure that your deskmini has 3.50 on it?

Durza

What's an ITX?
Dec 27, 2019
Dear A300 Mini's,

I ordered my very own DeskMini just a few seconds ago and wanted to thank all of you - you provided so very much for this decision of mine, information as well as confirmation what is possible and what is in our dreams (yet).

My system will be: A300 (obviously), 3400g, 2x G.Skill 8GB 3200, Noctua L9a (mandatory).. and the Intel 660p 1TB (this last piece was the most difficult one to decide.. i struggled really hard between all the options the last few days).

Btw two things: as you may have guessed english is not my native language - i hope that you don't mind the occasional error of mine.. and (by the look at my ordered parts) which one of you was more influential for this specific list of components (let's just say the 4400g will be ordered & installed asap in my tiny case).

I wish all of you a nice time between the holidays and will add the experience as soon as everything is delivered (fresh out of the box - and after i have tweaked the RAM to 3333 MHz, thx again for the data ^^)

Durza

Reactions: d3w

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
I'm getting my parts together for the A300 build.

I noticed a good number of people are using the Sabrent NVMe, is there any particular reason for that specific model?
Will the WD Black SN750 or Samsung 970 EVO Plus work with this build and which one would be better?
Is a NVMe with a heatsink preferable?

A bit off topic but for productivity use, browsing/word/excel/multitasking, is there a noticeable difference between 3200G and 3400G?

If I could go back and do it again I would have gotten the 2TB intel 660P but now I'll wait as I have 2 2TB HDDs for storage in there.

Just get the cheapest per GB nvme drive for the A300. Most people are not going to notice a lot of real world difference between that and the "faster" drives.