Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
So the difference between say 2666 and 3200 is not enough, a single stick of 3200 is always worse that two sticks of 2666 because you lose double data rate?

Slowjim

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2019
BIOS Instant Flash does not allow downgrading, but the windows update package does. The direkt links to the Windows BIOS updates have been removed from the ASRock website, but the package is still there at http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/AM4/A300M-STX(1.20)WIN.zip

Unzip, run asrom.exe. The AMI utility that then gets run will warn you that BIOS layout has changed, you will have to confirm that you still want to update. IIRC there is another prompt to confirm, then the system will reboot and apply the update on reboot.

It worked twice for me but I obviously can not guarantee that this will work without issues.

THANK YOU!!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
So the difference between say 2666 and 3200 is not enough, a single stick of 3200 is always worse that two sticks of 2666 because you lose double data rate?
It's still double data rate, that's what ddr in ddr4 stands for. A single stick works in single channel, so you lose out on the performance of dual channel.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Double data rate (DDR) =/= Dual channel.

DDR is double that of SDR, which basically achieves that by able to simultaneously receive and send bits.

Dual channel (or quad etc) refers to the direct connection between memory controllers in the processor to the physical slot. This is important for multi core processors since it means different cores can access different channels at the same time.

Since you don't see any single core processors these days... well...

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Yes the more I think on it the more it makes obvious sense- better to have double 2400 than single 3200. But better still to have double 3200. Will read up on the link.

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Dear A300 owners! Does this Asrock mainboard emmit noticable electric component noise, like chirping and other high frequency nuisances?
While using the Asrock Deskmini H110M-STX board on my desk for almost two years, the noise by the mainboard was quite prominent, while its succeeding mainboard , the Asus H110S1/CSM itself remains pleasantly silent and the Noctua on my i3-7100 is near inaudible at 800 rpm anyway.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Dear A300 owners! Does this Asrock mainboard emmit noticable electric component noise, like chirping and other high frequency nuisances?
While using the Asrock Deskmini H110M-STX board on my desk for almost two years, the noise by the mainboard was quite prominent, while its succeeding mainboard , the Asus H110S1/CSM itself remains pleasantly silent and the Noctua on my i3-7100 is near inaudible at 800 rpm anyway.

With the Noctua cooler the machine is virtually silent with M.2 storage.

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks for the answers. So Asrock improved their STX motherboard quality. Their first STX effort, the board for ther Deskmini H110, was crap by design, it was known for freezes (with moving to a 4K display they became daily odccurences for me when graphics hardware acceleration came under load), my unused Realtek audio chip simply died and that electronic chirping came on top.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Anyone know if these chips would work with the A300?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Why do we buy ram by checking if it's on a list? It should all work - as in your system boots - like, I get if you want the ram to work at its advertised speed or more, but most users shouldn't need to worry about that.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
I read that 10 times and have no idea what you are actually saying.
All RAM should at least default to JEDEC specs:

All motherboards that except DDR4 should work will all DDR4 ram chips; However that doesn't always mean it will work at it's advertised speed OR that the BIOS will recognize memory moduals that are larger then expected.

Years ago this was an issue with many OEM machines and people didn't know that upgrading their ram to larger memory chips would require flashing the BIOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choidebu

alexfr

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 11, 2019
Hi.I have a deskmini a300, it arrived with the bios 3.40.
Now I have video problems. I tried to install allin1 drivers automatically from the asrock cd, I don't know which version was installed, but I had problems. I use an old vga screen, the bios has disappeared (in vga) and the video was at 640 (only in HDMI). I have uninstalled and now with the basic microsoft drivers it works but in a limited way. Which video drivers do I need to install? Are these okay: AllIn1 (v18.40.02)? or these 18.50.16.01 , 19.10.16 ?
Thank you

GLSRacer

Average Stuffer
May 31, 2019
alexfr, it looks like the newest all in 1 driver for Windows 10 is 19.10.16_19H1_WHQL so I would use that version. The all in 1 driver should get you started but I would recommend downloading the newest video driver directly from AMD at the following link: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software

Please post back if you have difficulty after installing the latest software versions. Bonne chance!

Last edited:
Reactions: alexfr