SFF project advice

derfinitely

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Just about getting ready to start on my first ever SFF project. I have a mini-ITX system (Core i7 7700, Asus B150i Gaming Aura, 1x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce OC) that I wanna migrate from an old CM Elite 110 case into a Skyreach 4 Mini. The idea of a highly portable, brickless system is indeed very enticing and I've my eyes set on the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX for the power supply. Down the road, I am going to be ditching the RX 460 and will be upgrading to either a mini GTX 1060 or 1070.

I'm fairly new to this form factor and I just have a couple of questions to throw to anyone who might care to answer. I know the HDPLEX 400W has DC input for power, but would it be possible to mod it to switch the power input to either a C8 or C14? If so, are there guides available and if not, what nano power supply combos would you recommend for an i7 7700+GTX 1060 or 1070 set up?

Banaffi

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 25, 2018
There was a discusion in the thread of the skyreach mini for this C plug setup. But you can easily supply it with the dell-brick as it only pulls around ~240-60W from the wall itself.

derfinitely

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
You DO realise that C8 or C14 is AC plug/socket, don't you? That you can't just "mod" AC to DC, right? Just checking here..

Sorry for being the consummate n00b. As I mentioned, this is why I'm asking for advice since I'm new to nano power supplies. I've mostly dealt with ATX or SFX PSUs for most of my PC building life. Apologies if I'm making a fool out of myself.☹️

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
No worries, everyone gotta start somewhere.

Well I like this explanation best:
1st grade level TL;DR:

The key is to look and see if the power supply is labeled DC-DC or AC-DC. You need both.

------------Step 1: AC-DC----------------

AC power is what comes out of your wall. DC power is what computer electronics run off of (and batteries).

You need to convert the AC that comes out of your wall to DC before your computer can use it.

This is accomplished with a AC-DC power supply.

------------Step 2: DC-DC------------------

Once you have DC power you need to get it to your PC components. Computers have lots of different plugs and voltages. You need a DC-DC power supply to handle the task of getting every part their correct voltage and power.

-----------Step 3: Why you are confused--------------

Think of a standard ATX power supply that you are used to as two power supplies in one. It is a AC-DC converter, and a DC-DC distributor. You plug in your giant ATX power supply into the wall, it converts the voltage to DC, and then it separates the the DC voltages into 12v, -12v, 3.3, and 5v and distributes it to each part in your PC.

-----------Step 4: Divide and Conquer-------------------

The MINI seeks to save space by chopping an ATX power supply in half. Outside of the case you have your AC-DC power supply or "power brick" and inside the case you have your DC-DC power supply (Dynamo Mini 200 DC-DC, HDPLEX 400 DC-DC, Pico 160 XT DC-DC, G-Unique DC-DC).

The theory here is that this saves space with the current PSU technology we have.

-----------Step 5: The exception to the rule--------------

The S4 MINI phenomenon has spurred progression in the development of compact AC-DC power supplies. Think of these as small power bricks that you can fit inside the case. Examples are the HDPLEX 160 AC-DC, and HDPLEX 300 AC-DC. You still need a DC-DC power supply so you can power your individual parts.
HTH

Reactions: Bshoults

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Sep 20, 2017
The above explanation needs to be a sticky. I’ve been struggling to understand this aspect for some time.

Mar 6, 2017
Just about getting ready to start on my first ever SFF project. I have a mini-ITX system (Core i7 7700, Asus B150i Gaming Aura, 1x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce OC) that I wanna migrate from an old CM Elite 110 case into a Skyreach 4 Mini. The idea of a highly portable, brickless system is indeed very enticing and I've my eyes set on the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX for the power supply. Down the road, I am going to be ditching the RX 460 and will be upgrading to either a mini GTX 1060 or 1070.

I'm fairly new to this form factor and I just have a couple of questions to throw to anyone who might care to answer. I know the HDPLEX 400W has DC input for power, but would it be possible to mod it to switch the power input to either a C8 or C14? If so, are there guides available and if not, what nano power supply combos would you recommend for an i7 7700+GTX 1060 or 1070 set up?

If you're trying to run DC current through it from a brick, then technically it can be done. However, since those connectors are meant for AC, someone, even you, could end up accidentally plugging an AC cord into it and frying it, thus I would never do it. I would instead look into an XT90 connector or something like that.

If you're asking if you can connect the DC-ATX directly to AC, the answer is no. Never do that. First of all, the power supply has DC in the name (DC-ATX means it takes a DC input and connects to the ATX 24 pin on your motherboard). Second, the spec sheet says the input range is 16-24V. Even if the wall outlet was DC, you're still feeding it 120 or 240V, which exceeds that by quite a bit.

Now, with the DC-ATX you still need the AC-DC part. This can be either internal - meaning you can in fact have a C8 or C14 inlet on your chassis, or external - some people like to use old laptop bricks for lower power builds, for the system you specified you'll need something a bit beefier. You mentioned you want a brickless build, but the only one I know of was done in an S4M Classic with a 160W PSU, which most likely wouldn't be enough power for you.

If you are an exceptional squisher, you may be able to squeeze two 160W AC-DC units in the Skyreach, one for the GPU, one for everything else. However, I'm not sure if this configuration actually works, I only did a quick check in SketchUp to see if it fits.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

I don't know much about power delivery, but I follow these rules for builds in general:

1. Never compromise on tiny- keep the small in small for factor.

2. If there is unused space, find a way to use it.

3. Forums like this one are your friend.

4. Read build logs- chances are, someone has done what you are.

5. A clean build is important.