SFF Pioneers: #tbt every day

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Often while doing research on different builds, I will come across build logs from the days of yore. When TDPs were higher, SFF was smaller (in availability) and 3D printing was a dream.

Our predecessors none the less put out some awesome, awesome SFF goodness that makes some projects look weak by comparison. They did more with less. This is a place to share your discoveries to inspire others and yourself.

I will kick it off:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde 1U Gaming Machine (2001) - click for build log

The owners of a DIY front panel LCD company post their project of turning a 1U Net Appliance into a gaming beast. Crazy attention to detail and a lot of effort, good pics throughout. that thing must have been a screamer!

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I don't have pics, but the following inspired me in the early days;
jhanlon303
SlipperySkip
Craigbru

Reactions: Soul_Est

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
haha, yes! Crystalfontz. I had a Crystalfontz 635 back in the day (Loved it!)
In fact, it was my very first product review back in the day.

I would have to say that I always found the old Ammo box cases on mini-itx.com highly inspirational.
In fact, I have two ammo boxes just lying around that I never converted into computers, perhaps I should sell those.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
This week's #tbt SFF Pioneer build takes us back to 2009.

Intrepid PC enusiast Geofrancis wanted to install a more powerful GPU into his Morex 669 ITX case (already modied to take a 5x sata hard drive rack). He had the idea to use a Dell DA2 Power Brick to power an HD4850 in his tiny case. He faced endless comments of "Why don't u upgrade case", "Dangerous", and even predictions that he would burn his house down.

He persevered and contributed to SFF history, even if he did wind up going a different route in the end.

Link:https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/using-external-power-supply-for-graphics-card.105749/

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
I got pulled into this SFF niche within the past few months on my own for the most part, but I think the Zaber Sentry project I found on the Linus Tech Tips forum inspired me to look into other SFF case ideas which ultimately led me here.

Reactions: Ceros_X