SFF.Network [SFF Network] SilverStone announces the FPS01/FPS01-C multifunction slim ODD bay panel

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh my, quite the innovative product ! Very interesting if you have one of the compatible Silverstone SUGO cases. I like they finished it off with a SATA M.2 slot too.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The M.2 port seems like a random addition but I guess just a USB hub and card reader didn't take up much space so it was probably a "why not?" type of thing.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well it does have its roots in the laptop world where these kind of "ODD to storage" adapters are becoming common enough that some of the brands started selling these as an option, to enable another 2,5" storage bay. But yeah, they probably would have thrown in the kitchen sink if there was room left.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I thought they included that to make the product appealing for notebook users, but as it doesn't seem to have a slimline SATA connector on the back, it can only really be used in desktop cases with a slim ODD slot. Still, a very cool product, it could motivate other case manufacturers to also include a slim ODD slot just to let users expand the IO. Before this I/O add-ons were only available for 3.5" or 5.25" bays, so pushing for that in the Slim 5.25" slot makes a lot of sense.

Silverstone are really pushing things in the SFF market.

Reactions: Phuncz and cmyk78