SFF.Network [SFF Network] Shuttle's New Skylake Barebones - The SH170R6

The new Shuttle XPC SH170R6 has appeared on the Shuttle website and supports Intel Skylake platform technology. This new model supports the latest 6th generation LGA 1151 95W processors. With Core i3/i5/i7 processors built-in graphics core, the SH170R6 is able to support 4k/Ultra HD video playback.

At the rear of the SH170R6, one HDMI ports and two DisplayPorts are present to support three independent displays. The SH170R6 also features one PCI-E x16 slot and one PCI-E x4, allowing for installation of dual slot graphics cards, video surveillance cards, RAID cards, and more. No word on Crossfire though - and SLI isn't available on x4 slots. It also features strong expandability with one M.2 and one half-size Mini PCIe slots, with support for M.2 SSD and a WiFi card or other compatible modules.

Read more here.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks for mentioning me! :)

Really curious about Crossfire in that thing, could be quite beastly with four DIMMs and two HBM cards. Does Crossfire actually need motherboard support to work?
The intake on the GPU side is way too small, though, airflow is going to be terrible.

Interesting that they've gone with mPCIe instead of a second M.2 slot, there's only one Z170 board I know of which does that.

Also strange that they've spun their own PSU for this (again), but I guess a 60/50mm fan is better than 40.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm betting the R9 Fury X2 will be a better fit than Crossfire Nano, due to the amount of custom watercooling needed and the amount of PCIe bandwidth consumed with Crossfire. But with a 300W PSU, this isn't going to work without an extra PSU.

Reactions: Shawn Faherty

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think it would be more about the challenge more than the actual benefit. But you're right, one would need a better PSU. There is enough space for everything, though, I'm mostly interested in the board in that regard, not the complete barebone.
Not that I'd have enough money to make such a build, but something similar was done with an older Shuttle Barebone before (forgot the name of the build) and I'd like to see it being done again.