SFF.Network [SFF Network] Shuttle Releases the Fanless Barebones DS57U

Small and quiet is the holy grail here on SmallFormFactor.net. Shuttle has been trading blows in the SFF market since the early days, and they continue that with the fanless DS57U. Based on the Intel Celeron 3205U embedded processor with Intel HD GT2 graphics, this isn’t a powerhouse, but at 1.3L of external volume, it sure is small. The system currently has a price of around $215 US on NewEgg.

Read more here.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
nifty little unit. would be faster than the thin clients/core2duo boxes we use at work!

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Interestingn system. Stick a 256gb SSD and 4gbs of ram and you got yourself a decent system for mom and dad for Facebook or the occasional movie/video/Skype call. And it's small enough to fit behind a monitor or under your desk. It's even powerful enough to play some old school games. (Emulators mostly)
Though one must ask yourself if the smaller size is worth the premium. I mean, you can build a cheap kabini system that can do the same for about 250 USD. The mini pc, once kitted out, will easily cost 350 USD depending on what you get. (SSD is a necessity for me btw)

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Unfortunately a lot of end users don't have the skills to build their own system. Once you add in build time and profit margins to a prebuilt system (consumer components but built by a retailer) you'd be looking at similar pricing.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wit the dual serial ports and destinct design, I can't but wonder this is targeted at industrial or embedded usage only.
For the office, the Intel NUC platform still seems like a better fit.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Shuttle's website said:
The Shuttle Slim-PC Barebone DS57U is an ideal platform for professional applications such as digital signage, POS, Kiosk, Thin Client, Cloud Computing, Office PC and Multimedia.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah that's what the marketing department says, basically anything except a game PC or laptop. But I wouldn't use it in an office environment over a NUC because those have wireless, a USB charge port and a smaller footprint.