Cooling [SFF Network] Prolimatech Samuel 17 - Goliath's David?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Continuing our current trend of CPU cooler reviews, today we are looking at the Prolimatech Samuel 17! This particular CPU cooler has been around for years, but it's unavailability in certain markets (I have never seen it listed for sale in New Zealand!) has lent it a certain 'holy grail' status in the SFF cooling world - which is a bit of a shame, since the 6 heatpipes and dense fins that compose its design enable great cooling for the size, at least on paper.

Read more here.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
The photos are too bright and I actually prefer the wrinkly cloth background.
I can't from the colors on the chart, is the Scythe big shriken 2B better?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Lighting wasn't the best on this photoshoot due to it being late at night with only incandescent lighting. The cloth background required ironing every use - ugh! White balancing the photo to remove the yellow ambient light messed with the light balance.

I can't from the colors on the chart, is the Scythe big shriken 2B better?
At idle, the Samuel is significantly superior. Under load, the performance was similar to the Big Shuriken Rev B.
Regarding colours, this is why I chose to include unique symbols for each cooler for each data point - click the image for a larger version.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Samuel 17 is an interesting product. That it's still relevant today, should be a good indicator it's a well-designed product.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Either well designed or we haven't seen much innovation in the cooler world for a while :/