SFF.Network [SFF Network] Intel's Broadwell-E Lands: Up to 10 Cores, Available Immediately

Although plenty of leaks and rumors have deflated any of the suspense from the announcement, Intel has finally brought their newest generation of enthusiast and professional-grade parts to the market, in the form of Broadwell-E.

The particular speeds and feeds of this latest crop of CPU's has been known for some time now, but what we weren't completely sure of was pricing and availability. With Intel's announcement, however, we can finally nail down all the details: Broadwell-E will have an entry price of $434 in the Core i7 6800K, which is a hexa-core part that comes with 3.4/3.6GHz base/boost clocks, 15MB of L3 cache, and 28 PCI-E lanes...

Read more here.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
*Yawn* nothing exciting at all. Really the only thing about Broadwell-E I'm interested in is the possibility of refreshed mATX and ITX X99 boards.

Reactions: alamilla

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
*Yawn* nothing exciting at all. Really the only thing about Broadwell-E I'm interested in is the possibility of refreshed mATX and ITX X99 boards.
This. And again with the stupid 28 PCIe lane artificial limitation.

tylerrobb

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2016
Air cooling a 140W TDP Broadwell-E chip in a SFF computer is going to get pretty toasty! Has anyone done that (or similar) successfully without throttling in a small case?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Has anyone done that (or similar) successfully without throttling in a small case?

I guess it depends on how small of a case you're talking. Something the size of the NCASE M1 isn't a problem since a fairly large air cooler or 120mm/240mm can fit.

Something like the DAN A4-SFX is more difficult but I believe Dan tested a 5820K. Can't remember what the results were but it worked.

spuds

Minimal Tinkerer
May 28, 2016
Are the any compatible matx boards for broadwell-e, I couldn't find any bios updates and no new boards at computex

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The ASUS references a new BIOS to support Broadwell-E but it isn't available to download that I could find. EVGA, ASRock, and Gigabyte all have BIOS updates for their boards though.

I haven't seen so much as a hint of refreshed mATX X99 boards. Maybe we'll see some in a few months but I'm not holding my breath.