SFF.Network [SFF Network] Intel Core i5-7600K Tested, Negligible IPC Gains for Kaby Lake?

Somehow (it's funny how these things happen isn't it?), a possible production unit of the next generation i5 processor has been leaked to a tech website. In this case, PCOnline has obtained a unit of the upcoming Intel Core i5-7600K, a 3.8GHz, quad core Kaby Lake processor. The i5-7600K has a 4.20 GHz max Turbo Boost frequency, and 6 MB of L3 cache. Like all its predecessors, it lacks HyperThreading. The i5-7600K succeeds the current i5-6600K, and could be positioned around the US$250 price-point in Intel's product-stack.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Almost the entire increase is speed is because of the core clock increase. The only positive note is that it may be able to overclock further past Skylake, but we'll have to see about that.

Reactions: confusis

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's like the 4770K - 4790K transition. They probably move from B grade to A grade TIM and push clocks a tad higher, call it Devil's Lake and take a round of cash from those who have to compusively have the latest and greatest.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Well if "run" means just start and get 15FPS or so, then you're fine. But as soon as you want MC to run with 60FPS and very high view distance, prepare to invest in a supercomputer.

Java + poor optimisation inside. I mostly play it on SFFn server and view distance is capped to 16 when playing online if I'm not mistaken.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think I'm just gonna hold off for Cannon Lake and Volta in 2H 2017 now. Given the anticipated timeline on PCIe 4.0, the delays on 3D Optane DIMMs etc., I think this might be the best time for a hardware upgrade in the foreseeable future.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Well if "run" means just start and get 15FPS or so, then you're fine. But as soon as you want MC to run with 60FPS and very high view distance, prepare to invest in a supercomputer.
Or run the C++ reimplementation (Windows 10 version). You lose support for existing mods, but gain extreme draw distances and buttery smooth framerates. And VR.
If you already own the Java version, you can get the Windows 10 version for free via your Mojang account (might need to use Edge to do so, couldn't get the Windows Store link to work properly with Palemoon).

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Or run the C++ reimplementation (Windows 10 version). You lose support for existing mods, but gain extreme draw distances and buttery smooth framerates. And VR.
If you already own the Java version, you can get the Windows 10 version for free via your Mojang account (might need to use Edge to do so, couldn't get the Windows Store link to work properly with Palemoon).

I'm on Linux XD ...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Oh cool, I didn't know that. The lacking support for mods seriously limits what servers you'll be able to play on, but I'll try it out anyway.

EDIT: The link worked perfectly fine in Vivaldi, but if you got far enough, you can just enter the windows store and the Windows 10 edition will already be added to your owned software.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
here is the deal. We run the Java version because its the most feature complete and most accessible (Windows, Linux, Mac). Also we have had a server going in one form or another since before there was Windows 10, let alone a windows 10 build of Minecraft. Additionally run the Spigot version so we can run plugins / mods, not many but some slight tweaks to the game to make it a little more chill to play. Lastly "traditional" Minecraft (Spigot, Forge, Bukkit, etc) have slightly better support from the administration tooling were using to run the show. I've considered spinning up a Genisys server (I run this one at home) but we don't really have any players all that interested in it as opposed to classic Minecraft to justify the additional administrative overhead for the time being.

Minetest is an interesting project but last time I looked it wasn't even close to feature parity (horses for example) and again lacks an ecosystem of adminastative tooling around it (we use AMP for those who are interested which also give us the ability to host a few other games along side Minecraft if the interest is there). This has the added benefit of being able to distribute administration of the server to other "trusted" players should I not be available to deal w/ it w/out having to walk anyone through navigating a bash shell.

On a marginally more related note my own anecdotal experience suggests if you really want fat performance in Minecraft your better off w/ a lot of RAM and a decent GPU, especially if you also run OptiFine client side.

In conclusion, if your thinking of buying this (or any CPU) to bolster your experience in Minecraft then (much like other games) your money may well be better off invested elsewhere. That said if your running a server then the server will eat all the CPU you can throw at it and then some.

Edit: You also cant do this in the Windows 10 build. Also the in game chat, the chat box in Dynmap's lower left corner and the SFFn IRC channel (and if I'm playing Minecraft and listening to the SFFn podcast live at the same time then usually also the Discord chat) are all linked together which also isnt possible (IIRC) w/ the WIndows 10 builds. (you cant play on a Java MC server w/ the Windows 10 build -or the Raspberry pi & education builds- and same again w/ the Java build and servers for the Win10 edition).

Last edited: