Image Credit – Intel

Intel has announced their 14th gen CPUs. There isn’t a ton to cover on this so I’m going to break it down into bullet points to save everyone time.
– Max CPU Turbo Frequency is up slightly

6GHz on the i9
5.6GH on the i7
5.3GHz on the i5

– There are no changes to core configuration.

i9 is 8P and 16E Cores
i7 is 8P and 12E Cores
i5 is 6P and 8E Cores

– There is no new process node.
-The Core i7 – 14700K receives additional L2 and L3 cache over the 13700K  (61MB total vs 54MB total).
– Power usage TDP is still the same as the 13th gen.
– Memory compatibility is the same as 13th gen
– Motherboard compatibility is compatible with both 600 and 700 series LGA -1700 boards. Check with your motherboard vendor for details.
– MSRP pricing is the same as 13th...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Firehazel

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2019
I'm a bit more interested in the non K SKUs, we probably won't see those until next year. Maybe the 14500 will be a good fit for small builds(enough power and not too much heat).

Intel says that it will support 600 and 700 chips, but I wonder if they're gonna drop some of the lower end chipsets? Or maybe do something akin to AMD where BIOS/UEFI updates pushes out support for older CPUs?

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
Curious to see what kind of uplift the 14400 brings compared to the 12400 and if it can be sufficiently cooled by an NH-L9. I imagine we won't see the 14400 and 14500 until next year, but those are the only ones I personally care about since I am limited to 37mm of cooler height.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I was really excited for the 14600k because early rumors suggested it would get 2 additional P cores along with higher boost clocks. This would have been a legitimate upgrade from my 12600k. Now it is just a 13600k with higher boost clocks so not as much of a reason to upgrade.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Curious to see what kind of uplift the 14400 brings compared to the 12400 and if it can be sufficiently cooled by an NH-L9. I imagine we won't see the 14400 and 14500 until next year, but those are the only ones I personally care about since I am limited to 37mm of cooler height.

That...should be possible. However it's going to depend heavily on airflow. I was able to cool a 12600K on that cooler, but when I put it into a RAW S1, it didn't work. Neither did the 65mm version. I had to go the L12 Ghost.

It might have a bit of a lower all core turbo.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
That...should be possible. However it's going to depend heavily on airflow. I was able to cool a 12600K on that cooler, but when I put it into a RAW S1, it didn't work. Neither did the 65mm version. I had to go the L12 Ghost.

It might have a bit of a lower all core turbo.
I have a Velka 5, so definitely not as bad as the RAW S1 as far as airflow. I was actually thinking of committing potential heresy and cutting a hole in the side of the case so I could use something like an NH-L12S.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I have a Velka 5, so definitely not as bad as the RAW S1 as far as airflow. I was actually thinking of committing potential heresy and cutting a hole in the side of the case so I could use something like an NH-L12S.

I want to do something similar with a Skyreach 4 Mini and. Noctua D15.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I want to do something similar with a Skyreach 4 Mini and. Noctua D15.
I'd go big like that or strapping an AIO to the outside of the case, but I travel with it in a carry on backpack when I travel and don't want anything sticking out too far that could get damaged if bumped too hard.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'd go big like that or strapping an AIO to the outside of the case, but I travel with it in a carry on backpack when I travel and don't want anything sticking out too far that could get damaged if bumped too hard.

I was thinking more of a hotrod or shaker hood look for mine. Purely aesthetics.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I think that could be cool looking, like a Mad Max SFF vibe.

Three ways to do it.

1. Simple Mad Max like you said.

2. Make it look like a Tube Amplifier.

3. Go nuts and do full steampunk. Might need some copper pipes.