Cooling [SFF Network] High End Downdraft - How Does the Noctua NH-L12 Compare?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Sometimes, downdraft cooling is the best option for a SFF build. Tower coolers don't cool memory, chipset or any other board components particularly well. Downdraft coolers also have the added advantage of being able to act as an intake for slimmer cases - enabling you to use one less fan - making for a quieter system. Noctua has many downdraft style coolers, but the NH-L12 is one of their largest, second only to the not so small NH-C14S (which can hit 142mm tall!).

Read more here..

Reactions: Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The Noctua NH-C14 with only the bottom fan is "only" 105mm tall. It is the same height than a PCIe bracket:

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have the NH-L12 too, using VLP memory is almost required to be more flexible in mounting or sometimes required.

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP in that picture.

Though I have yet to see VLP memory for DDR4, technically there are no issues to make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah I've seen those too, the problem is:

Specs: DDR4 PC4-19200 • CL=17 • Single Ranked • x4 based • Registered ECC • DDR4-2400 • 1.2V • 2048Meg x 72 •

So you'll need a server chipset and Xeon CPU to use these. While some H170/Z170 boards support ECC on Skylake CPUs, these seem to function without ECC enabled which is only an issue if you need ECC support. But the Registered type (RDIMM) is only supported on the Xeon platform and Cxxx chipset series if I'm correct.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I use this NH-L12. A bit overkill for my 84 watt i5, but oh well :)

Built quality is superb, & installation is easy.

Mine came with wrong LGA1150 installation screws. I emailed them and they sent me the correct screws for free. No need to show recipe etc.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I think it should be noted that you *can* fit the 120mm fan UNDERNEATH the cooler, but you'll need ultra low profile ram, and it is highly dependant on motherboard layout.

Reactions: confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not something I've tried, but in saying that, the test platform board has pretty bad layout issues!