Cooling [SFF Network] CRYORIG C7 - A New Contender Appears

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
According to Noctua the AMD Keep-out zone is 96x114mm.

The NH-L9a has a 92x114mm footprint that complies to the 96x114mm keep-out zone specified by AMD.
Under the 100% RAM compatibility heading
http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9a.html

The C7 is 97x97mm so it would fall 1mm (0.5mm on either side)outside of the Keep-Out Zone for AMD sockets.

Also on the C7 product page:
*The CPU Keep Out Zone is a design guideline set by both Intel and AMD. It is set around the CPU, and dictates no components over a certain height can be placed there.

This makes me think the C7 adheres to both the Intel and the AMD Keep-out zones and that your motherboards are most likely not.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Interesting - it's odd that I managed to find two that don't comply though!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
That is some bad luck it seems :p
The ECS A960M-MV and the MSI A68HI-AC are fairly small boards for AMD standards. It seems they didn't want to take the effort to make it fully compliant to AMDs specification.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Good point, although FM2 ITX is far more common than AM3 SFF stuff. Maybe I will have to temporarily remove the VRM heatsink in the future :/

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
You can poke MSI and ECS about their mistake :p if what Noctua says is the actual keep-out zone, which I don't see a reason it not being true.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've not had much luck as of late contacting ECS - the A960M-MV popped a vrm when running a 125w cpu (which it is a supported CPU) and I haven't heard anything back!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Wait that board has 125W CPU support with no VRM heatsink and the MOSFETs being obstructed from CPU Cooler airflow by the chokes? No wonder it popped!

We are talking about this board right?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yes indeed. You'd expect a decently sized company like ECS to actually test what they claim..The FX-8350 is in their CPU support list!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Oh well, nothing you can change now but try and get that board replaced. We got a little derailed there ;)
You should consider updating the review with the AMD Keep-out information, the C7 is not to blame, that 1mm overshoot would normally never matter.

If you want to be 100% sure you could email Noctua if they have the official documentation, might also be useful for future reference, because you review with AMD systems.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Will do. - Intel specs are easy to find.. AMD not so much :/

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Quite likely - it coped with the old 89w test CPU with a 15-17 degree rise over ambient under Prime 95 Blend.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Cryorig responded to an inquiry I made basically stating that they are not removing this model from NA retailers and that more stock is on the way. The higher prices at OutletPC are due to having air-shipped stock to that particular retailer. Newegg and Amazon should be getting new stock through slower shipping methods.