Concept New to SFF FORUM!!! First build converting my Midtower to "ATX" SFF... I know wtf? and lol.

Gremlin1337

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I'm not sure if I should Dew this build or not but I do see a case on the market that fits my needs. So I am going to build something I can throw in my backpack easily when I want to take it on the go. The basis for this build is using all air cooling with 120x15mm case fans 2 front and 2 top. I want to maximize the airflow in this case while also keeping the hot air rising up and out if I end up putting a pretty hot graphics card in the build.

Right now the thought is to just convert what I have into a smaller form factor so I don't have to rebuild a whole new PC for mobility. There are probably others out there that have an ATX or two sitting around they could use for a SFF build that is back-packable and only needs a lower profile CPU cooler and SFX psu.

Nothing is finalized on this build at all as far as dimensions etc. I just drew up the smallest possible dimensions that looked like they would work in this build. I have no idea how bad cable routing is going to be. I used 10mm risers under the MB to possibly be able to route some cables under the motherboard but I'm not sure if that is even possible. If it isn't I think cable management is going to be out of control.

I also used a Cryorig C7 as my reference cooler to see if I could fit it under the PSU since its in such a weird spot I think. It only has 6mm of clearance between the two. I could get more if I used the Noctua L9i but seems like the cooling would suffer even more.

Final dimensions for this mock up build were 135x335x255mm (WxHXD). Internal volume would be 11.5L but not sure if that would even actually fit everything (3 m.2??? haha are those in the right spot? LOL)

I threw an RTX 2070 in there just for fun... not that I can afford one of those bad boys yet but I wanted to see what a reference would look like in there. Also I'm not sure if I could just forget the riser with 135mm of width. I also could go skinnier if I used the L9i possibly and cut it down to just about 120mm width for the fans.

Inspiration for this build was triggered by OliverRH
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/15l-atx-motherbord-case.2995/

I just wanted this to be all on air without using a rad, and also as small as ATX can go!

Next step I will be making the build once I get a couple parts in and trying it out in a wood case. Let me know if there is going to be some major issues already with this build!
Thanks,
Gremlin1337

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm not sure if I should Dew this build or not but I do see a case on the market that fits my needs. So I am going to build something I can throw in my backpack easily when I want to take it on the go. The basis for this build is using all air cooling with 120x15mm case fans 2 front and 2 top. I want to maximize the airflow in this case while also keeping the hot air rising up and out if I end up putting a pretty hot graphics card in the build.

Right now the thought is to just convert what I have into a smaller form factor so I don't have to rebuild a whole new PC for mobility. There are probably others out there that have an ATX or two sitting around they could use for a SFF build that is back-packable and only needs a lower profile CPU cooler and SFX psu.

Nothing is finalized on this build at all as far as dimensions etc. I just drew up the smallest possible dimensions that looked like they would work in this build. I have no idea how bad cable routing is going to be. I used 10mm risers under the MB to possibly be able to route some cables under the motherboard but I'm not sure if that is even possible. If it isn't I think cable management is going to be out of control.

I also used a Cryorig C7 as my reference cooler to see if I could fit it under the PSU since its in such a weird spot I think. It only has 6mm of clearance between the two. I could get more if I used the Noctua L9i but seems like the cooling would suffer even more.

Final dimensions for this mock up build were 135x335x255mm (WxHXD). Internal volume would be 11.5L but not sure if that would even actually fit everything (3 m.2??? haha are those in the right spot? LOL)

I threw a RTX 2070 in there just for fun... not that I can afford one of those bad boys yet but I wanted to see what a reference would look like in there. Also I'm not sure if I could just forget the riser with 135mm of width. I also could go skinnier if I used the L9i possibly and cut it down to just about 120mm width for the fans.

Inspiration for this build was triggered by OliverRH
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/15l-atx-motherbord-case.2995/

I just wanted this to be all on air without using a rad, and also as small as ATX can go!

Next step I will be making the build once I get a couple parts in and trying it out in a wood case. Let me know if there is going to be some major issues already with this build!
Thanks,
Gremlin1337

So how will it be made? Wood panels screwed together?

Gremlin1337

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I am going to screw and glue together some nice looking wood panels that are 1/4". I was going to go with some birch 1/4 but it was terribly warped at L*wes… so I went with just a 5 ply type 1/4" that looked pretty flat for this prototype. I need some plexiglass as well for the front window. The build requires the PSU right up against the glass front so I will also have to drill some holes in it.

One issue I am having is finding a Cryorig c7 CU... Are they not selling those things anymore? I may just go with the L9i and if I do then I am very temped to minimize the case size even more. All my future builds should require <95w tdp so I think the L9i would be ok. I know I am going for extremes here, but I really want an atx that is easy to throw in my backpack. Even smaller than the Cerberus-X, since I don't think I could fit those dimensions unless I have a rather large back pack... I could upgrade to the Bigdawstv "Giant backpack prank" size as a last resort too!