A long overdue hello, and thank you

Hey, long time lurker, been meaning to join for a while. Wanted to start off by thanking the community for providing a wealth of SFF information. Seriously, this forum is an amazing resource.
Special shout out to the compatibility threads, and the people designing/producing cases - thank you!

TLDR

ITX addict... either need help, or to be around like-minded people to ease the guilt 😅 Craving comes and goes - can go months without building a PC, then get the urge to make 2 or 3 at once. Recently:

Build [4]Build [5]

Long-ass life story

• Looked to upgrade my 10yr old PC (OG i7-920)[0] a couple of years ago. New job + bonus + single = money to burn, aimed high
  • I was behind on current tech; spent months researching, ended up with a Ryzen 3950x E-ATX build[1]
    Also had a spare CPU, wanted a VR build, and was on a healthy diet of Optimum Tech content (yes, he got me too)
  • Bought an NCASE off eBay, slowly got other components - mostly also from eBay - put everything together[2]
    Process was frustrating, fiddly & profanity-filled. Told myself never again.
  • Turns out I lied, and ended up with a new hobby. Things kinda snowballed from there.
    Put together PCs for a couple of friends[3], kept an eye on the market/eBay for components, accumulated cases.
  • Did a coupla builds over the last month or so[4][5] (photos above) and am looking to do another this weekend[6].

[0] The OG, build by the wonderful people at Cougar Extreme c2009.
CPU Intel i7-920
CPUC Hyper 212
GPU GTX 970 [EVGA]
PSU Corsair HX620
RAM 18 or 24Gb Corsair 1600Mhz
MB ASUS P6T Deluxe v2
Case Corsair CM690

[1] Main Desktop PC, first full build
CPU AMD 3950X
CPUC Noctua NH-D15
GPU RTX 2070 Super [EVGA FTW3 Ultra]
PSU Corsair HX1000 (ASUS Thor died on me)
RAM 32Gb Trident Neo 3600MHz
MB Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme (v1.0 - no thunderbolt *sadface*)
Case Phanteks Evolv X

[2] VR SFF (recently dismantled to rebuild)
CPU AMD 3950X
CPUC NZXT Kraken x52
GPU GTX 970 [EVGA] -> RTX 2080 Ti [ASUS ROG Strix OC] (thank you random French eBay seller)
PSU Corsair SF600 -> SF750
RAM 32Gb Trident Neo 3600MHz
MB ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
Case NCASE M1 v6.1

[3] Thanks friends for the fun project. Great case.
CPU AMD 3600X
CPUC NZXT Kraken x52
GPU RTX 2070 Super [MSI Gaming X Trio]
PSU Corsair SF600
RAM 16Gb Corsair LPX 3600MHz
MB ASUS ROG Strix B450I | Gigabyte Aorus X570I Pro
Case Silverstone RVZ03

[4] To run pfsense, replace ISP router. Full-fat CPU for VPN encryption & headroom to experiment
CPU AMD 3200G
CPUC Noctua NH-L9i with 3d printed top (thanks eBay seller)
GPU -
PSU Streacom ST-NANO160 nanoPSU
RAM 16Gb Corsair LPX 3200MHz (should downgrade to 8Gb)
MB MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Case Lone L5

[5] ...I just wanted an excuse to mess around with Ryzen 4000 APUs
CPU AMD 4650G
CPUC GELID Slim Silence AM4 (can't handle the heat, looking to replace)
GPU -
PSU TBD... bagged a G-unique 500W on eBay which seems like overkill. Maybe another ST-NANO.
RAM 16Gb Corsair LPX 3200MHz
MB ASUS ROG Strix X570I
Case Streacom F1C EVO

[6] Finally bagged a decent FlexPSU to bring this build together
CPU AMD 3600X
CPUC CRYORIG C7
GPU 2070 ITX [MSI Aero]
PSU Enhance ENP-7660B
RAM 16Gb Corsair LPX 3200MHz (probably)
MB TBD - checking cooler compatibility
Case case FX 4.7L (rev 1)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! Very nice post !

Be sure to read up on the terms and rules of the forum. Mainly for buying and selling or other commercial activity on the forum as the access is limited and the rules are strictly enforced.

As a new user you're probably not able to edit posts or links just yet, so if a substantial error was made, click the Report-button in the post.

Hope to see you around, enjoy the wonderful world of SFF !

Reactions: gman501

gman501

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Welcome to the forum ! Very nice post !

Be sure to read up on the terms and rules of the forum. Mainly for buying and selling or other commercial activity on the forum as the access is limited and the rules are strictly enforced.

As a new user you're probably not able to edit posts or links just yet, so if a substantial error was made, click the Report-button in the post.

Hope to see you around, enjoy the wonderful world of SFF !
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Reactions: Phuncz