SFF.Network Behind The Scenes Updates

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Any chance you'll bee diving into the Silverstone fx600 flex atx psu? They changed the fan curves a bit, perhaps there's finally something noteworthy aside from the famous Enhance unit?
It is the latest enhance unit x, although a different loom config to one we spec/sell though x

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
It is the latest enhance unit x, although a different loom config to one we spec/sell though x
Oh, that's very interesting. So the reputed relative silence from the go to enhance unit should carry over to the silverstone one? Neat!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Quick updated:

we completed our next podcast a bit back. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to release it with some audio glitches. Why? My entire family has the flu (not Covid) just days after my wife gave birth to our second child. My ears are so stuffed I can’t hear correctly with them, but sure as hell can hear the baby crying all night.

Alright, back to the joys of lactose intolerant babies.

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
Quick updated:

we completed our next podcast a bit back. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to release it with some audio glitches. Why? My entire family has the flu (not Covid) just days after my wife gave birth to our second child. My ears are so stuffed I can’t hear correctly with them, but sure as hell can hear the baby crying all night.

Congratulations and my best wishes. Take care and i won't mind the glitches!

Reactions: Arboreal

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Quick updated:

Congratulations mate, best of luck getting some rest!

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Are Z370 board wasn’t cutting it, so we’ve got a Z390 now for thermal and case testing. Paired with a 9900KF
B9D87A79-A85C-4677-B546-3166BA5E7D7E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F3C3CEF-1D85-452D-B3F7-7E18BEE94E40.jpeg
    7F3C3CEF-1D85-452D-B3F7-7E18BEE94E40.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Jello and rfarmer

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, it's 4AM and I just finished up the First Look for the Dagger Pro 850 Watt. I'm impressed so far. I put a 255 watt load onto the PSU using our cooler / case test platform and the fan didn't budge. Not a sound from the unit. Over the weekend, I'll be putting it into our PSU killer system and pushing it to its limit. So far though, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Well, it's 4AM and I just finished up the First Look for the Dagger Pro 850 Watt. I'm impressed so far. I put a 255 watt load onto the PSU using our cooler / case test platform and the fan didn't budge. Not a sound from the unit. Over the weekend, I'll be putting it into our PSU killer system and pushing it to its limit. So far though, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I see this at both Amazon and Newegg from the FSP store for $189.99, which is higher than the SF750 and a full $70 higher than the Cooler Master V850. Going to need some more competitive pricing.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The difference in my region in the EU is much smaller: 140-150€ (FSP) vs 130-140€ (CM).

Reactions: rfarmer

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
View attachment 1680
FSP built a good unit. That’s 975 watts from the wall for a 850 watt Gold PSU.
Is it an indicator of quality, or maybe indicator that the safety shut-off isn't working?

I had a 1000W-rated Silverstone that could easily do 1250W and voltage didn't falter at all, but definitely made me question the ratings. I suspect it was a down-rated 1300W model, but who knows.. I later saw some reviews (oops didn't do my homework) that said the unit displayed poor performance in safety shut-off, and didn't meet minimum ATX spec or something IIRC.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Is it an indicator of quality, or maybe indicator that the safety shut-off isn't working?

I had a 1000W-rated Silverstone that could easily do 1250W and voltage didn't falter at all, but definitely made me question the ratings. I suspect it was a down-rated 1300W model, but who knows.. I later saw some reviews (oops didn't do my homework) that said the unit displayed poor performance in safety shut-off, and didn't meet minimum ATX spec or something IIRC.

975 watts at Gold class efficiency rating is about 850 watts from the hardware. So it’s in line.

Unfortunately, I can’t afford a scientific PSU tester like Gamers Nexus has. Gotta work with the tools you have.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
975 watts at Gold class efficiency rating is about 850 watts from the hardware. So it’s in line.

Unfortunately, I can’t afford a scientific PSU tester like Gamers Nexus has. Gotta work with the tools you have.
Ah cool, that actually makes a lot of sense then, even though I knew it was rated for DC output, not AC input, it didn't click. 🤦 (and not just because the safety relay didn't switch hurr hurrrr)

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, the FSP Dagger Pro 850 Review is done. After what was an exhausting couple weeks of testing, it turns out, it's pretty good and my test unit was really quiet. I don't have access to high end voltage and PSU testing equipment, so I build systems up to torture test. This also means I can't just set a test cycle and walk away. It can get a little tiring.

Here is the review.