SFF.Network Behind The Scenes Updates

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
When doing future reviews on CPU heatsink coolers, would you please include these (if hardware setup allows):-

a. testing different orientations of the heatsink to investigate the effects of gravity. (I note that some brands (eg Thermalright) advertise some of their coolers having Anti-gravity Effect heatpipes.)

b. comment on the (positive) impact on the cooling of the M.2 SSD (which usually sits right next to the CPU socket) due to the airflow of the CPU heatsink fan.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
When doing future reviews on CPU heatsink coolers, would you please include these (if hardware setup allows):-

a. testing different orientations of the heatsink to investigate the effects of gravity. (I note that some brands (eg Thermalright) advertise some of their coolers having Anti-gravity Effect heatpipes.)

b. comment on the (positive) impact on the cooling of the M.2 SSD (which usually sits right next to the CPU socket) due to the airflow of the CPU heatsink fan.

A. This is a good point, and the orientation testing is definitely something that's been on my mind. Our current test bench can't really be used to do it. Eventually, when we get a new test bench, I'll add it to the test. In the meantime, I'll look into possibly doing an article covering the issue. Is there a particular Termalright unit you have in mind?

b. This is actually more difficult then it sounds. Any airflow over an M.2 will help, however it's very motherboard dependent. Some have heatsinks, some are double stacked, and some have fans. Moreover, case air flow (or lack there off) will play substantial part to air moving across the board and subsequently to the temps of the M.2. It ends up becoming a measure more of the motherboard and case than it does the CPU cooler. It is something I plan to include in motherboard and case reviews though. I can do a downdraft vs tower vs AIO comparison though.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A. This is a good point, and the orientation testing is definitely something that's been on my mind. Our current test bench can't really be used to do it. Eventually, when we get a new test bench, I'll add it to the test. In the meantime, I'll look into possibly doing an article covering the issue. Is there a particular Termalright unit you have in mind?

b. This is actually more difficult then it sounds. Any airflow over an M.2 will help, however it's very motherboard dependent. Some have heatsinks, some are double stacked, and some have fans. Moreover, case air flow (or lack there off) will play substantial part to air moving across the board and subsequently to the temps of the M.2. It ends up becoming a measure more of the motherboard and case than it does the CPU cooler. It is something I plan to include in motherboard and case reviews though. I can do a downdraft vs tower vs AIO comparison though.
a. I do not have any particular Thermalright in mind. And, to this regard, I suppose you will also test (full size or mini) GPUs as well. As vertically oriented cases are getting more popular, this aspect should also be useful.

b. Yeah, I understand. I do not really expect any kind of testing yielding some thermal numbers. But just some general observation and on-the-spot comment could be useful and is certainly better than nothing.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
F0C70477-247F-4EED-83BF-1F0D7E449943.jpeg Prepping for our coverage of the Sugo 16. Really nice little case so far. Smart design, good looks, and pretty good size. The finish is good, though I wish it used a bit thicker panels. There’s aren’t flimsy by any measure, but I like a tank like feel to cases.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Setting up our PSU murder box…

7820X
2X 770s in SLI
Only exhaust is the PSU.
cabling? Shove it in.
Even though the only exhaust is the PSU, but the cabin is likely going to have a very strong positive pressure, thus a fairly good portion of those hot internal air should go through, say, the top vented panel. PSU should survive being toasted.

Damn Linus for posting the Sugo 16 video LOL.

Now I have to get ours out early. I’m not using an AIO though.
But I bet you have a much better voice than Linus'.😁

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Even though the only exhaust is the PSU, but the cabin is likely going to have a very strong positive pressure, thus a fairly good portion of those hot internal air should go through, say, the top vented panel. PSU should survive being toasted.

But I bet you have a much better voice than Linus'.😁

LOL.

As for the top vent…I’ve got that covered. Literally. 😁

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So we just posted up our Sugo 16 First Look. Behind the scenes is that it took a bit longer for us to get out than I would have hoped, but I'm very rusty when it comes to actually making videos. I had to go back and do a bunch of reshoots due to a lighting issue, and then realized I filmed at 60 FPS instead of 120 FPS for the slow motion slots. Like I said....rusty.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I’m returning my 5950X back to its home as my editing machine. This well worn Noctua L12S will be the cooler, and I’ve finished stripping the Asus board of anything that interferes with clearance. I should note though… I used Noctua NH2 paste to do CPU cooler testing. It’s a good paste but extremely viscus. I’ve twice had the CPU stuck to the cooler with it on my AM4 platform. The first time resulted in a damaged mother board the second time might have damaged pins. If you are frequently swapping coolers on AM4 , I suggest something else. Intel works fine due to the retention mechanism.

413FB01A-290A-4B42-8202-ABEDB0C1E68B.jpeg

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I’ve been completely exhausted lately so updates have been lacking. Stuff is of course still going on behind the scenes. Right now I’m doing B-roll and photos for our 12900k review, build, and upgrade comparison.
4210D9A1-D43F-449F-8213-5E5D78873D07.jpeg

I’m doing this while benchmarking and building some graphs for an upcoming article.

Also I have completed the rebuild of my editing rig. The MI-6 with small loft has really allowed the 5950X and Aero 3060ti to perform to their best, and substantially reduced noise. Exhaust is important and I strongly urge case designers to consider some sort of exhaust fan in their design.

047258CD-79B3-4443-9819-0B2290333218.jpeg

The 5950X is on a Noctua L12S and pulled 27565 Multicore R23 for single run, and about 25.5K for 10 minute runs.

73C720FF-6EE0-4FC3-BB49-55AEF77AF60E.jpeg

Last edited:

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
0895D4E0-DF4A-48BE-8FB4-C31BC6C4349B.jpeg

It lives! So far in incredibly impressed by this build. The only issue I’ve had to deal with is a BIOS update for memory compatibility. The Meshlicious case is exactly the size I need, and the Noctua 140mm fans on the Z63 are dead silent.

Speaking of Silent, Silverstone sent us the SX1000 PSU that will be powering this rig. It’s a review sample not a sponsorship. I’d like to comment on its noise but it literally is making none right now. The fan has not spun up at all. I’m sure it will when I finish the build, but so far, I’m loving this SFX-L powerhouse.

Time to install Windows 11.