SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD Radeon RX 470 series review roundup

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
This is the card thats going to hurt Nvidia. Theyre going to need a 1050 soon and its going to need to be good.

At first I was worried this would just be slightly better than an R9 380x but seems its quite a bit better.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Ahh prices on AMD cards in China are absurd. $300 for a 480 and around $220 for a 470. The 470 is within $50 price of a GTX 1060 6gb - i feel like they base their prices on RAM size. Sadly many here only base their GPU buying decision on that.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sadly many here only base their GPU buying decision on that.

Don't worry, it's not just there. I work in a computer store here in 'Murica and many people have that same thought process here.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Even when you try to explain to people how it works, most of the time they just walk away and say its too confusing. You can show them benchmarks showing 0 change and they still don't listen/read.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Don't worry, it's not just there. I work in a computer store here in 'Murica and many people have that same thought process here.
Europe reporting in, same story. That's why I have been enjoying SSDs for 5 years and 95% of the population are still pondering that they'll need more GBs than last time. Was it RAM or HDD ? Ah who cares, MOAR.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
most of the time they just walk away and say its too confusing.

Story of my life. I love explaining stuff and every now and then I'll find someone who actually appreciates being educated on technical details but the vast majority I can just see their eyes glaze over and they just nod their head until I stop talking :(

Reactions: Soul_Est

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Oh, I wasn't aware people would look blindly at the vRAM as a "performance indicator" like that... I wonder if the industry takes this as a marketing move...

I can't wait for true ITX versions of this card! :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm not really sure what AMD is doing with this card. The RX 460 is looking to be at best a GTX 950 equivalent while the RX 470 and RX 480 are so close in both performance and price that they're basically both competing in the same bracket, on par or below the 1060 and probably a small bit above where the 1050 should end up.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
At first i thought the 470 is $150 price mark. At that level its a home run. But now it seems its just a direct replacement for the R9 380X in price and performance. Thats not such a good deal.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Oh, I wasn't aware people would look blindly at the vRAM as a "performance indicator" like that... I wonder if the industry takes this as a marketing move...
The "you need at least X GB of vRAM to game at 4K" myth seems to be pretty persistent even among 'enthusiast' communities who should know better, even with X varying depending on the recently released GPU du jour.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Story of my life. I love explaining stuff and every now and then I'll find someone who actually appreciates being educated on technical details but the vast majority I can just see their eyes glaze over and they just nod their head until I stop talking :(
Most likely why I have trouble working in the retail or finding work in retail.

Most people have no idea how various factors affect performance and in what aspects.
Most just look at the maximum and leave it at that. Kind of like case selection in PC building. :\

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Compared to what you said, people love BIG numbers...the more ram the better..:)

Most people doesn't care of power, or understanding how it works..and it's not only in computer world..it's global.

I'm working in automotive world...and for many people, as long as the car has four wheels and one engine it's fine, whereas there arr so many others important details..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Compared to what you said, people love BIG numbers...the more ram the better..:)

Most people doesn't care of power, or understanding how it works..and it's not only in computer world..it's global.

I'm working in automotive world...and for many people, as long as the car has four wheels and one engine it's fine, whereas there arr so many others important details..:)
With the stories my friend has told me about the people that pull into the shop she works at, I just wonder sometimes if I really do want to work in the automotive industry.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Lol, you need to share one of these stories now..;)
Most of them are luxury vehicle owners trying to get a discount on a service or a part. Come into the shop, get told the price for a service (i.e.: $50), and ask for 10%-25% off. Really?

The worst is a sort-of relative of mine. She never maintained the van she owned well. One night, during winter in 2014, she goes to start the van only to realized that the engine seized. Why? She never checked the oil. :\

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
i heard a story about a woman sueing Jaguar after her engine needed replacement at 35,000 miles because she never changed the oil. She said nobody told her she needed to do that.