SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD Radeon RX 470 series review roundup

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
RTFM.
Really though, tech support and car repair have the same big issue: people coming in saying it's broke please fix it and not giving any details.
Because they look at mobile devices, computers, and personal vehicles as appliances. Even appliances need regular maintenance!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most of them are luxury vehicle owners trying to get a discount on a service or a part. Come into the shop, get told the price for a service (i.e.: $50), and ask for 10%-25% off. Really?
I knew a guy, one of the top 10 richest families in the country, who kept harassing friends for sigarettes. But that Ferrari and dozen other cars were real. Oh well.

The worst is a sort-of relative of mine. She never maintained the van she owned well. One night, during winter in 2014, she goes to start the van only to realized that the engine seized. Why? She never checked the oil. :\
I never check my oil but I do bring my cars in for service atleast every year or every 15.000km. Because I let it heat up before putting the foot down, have atmospheric engines (no turbo or supercharger) and Toyota build quality, I have had very little issues with my cars. I don't baby them, they have their RPM range sweeped regularly.

In a well-maintained engine there shouldn't be a reason to check your oil regularly, or else it's of low build quality, not regularly and properly maintained or it's being abused by throttling it hard before the engine and oils have a chance to warm up.

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I knew a guy, one of the top 10 richest families in the country, who kept harassing friends for sigarettes. But that Ferrari and dozen other cars were real. Oh well.

I never check my oil but I do bring my cars in for service atleast every year or every 15.000km. Because I let it heat up before putting the foot down, have atmospheric engines (no turbo or supercharger) and Toyota build quality, I have had very little issues with my cars. I don't baby them, they have their RPM range sweeped regularly.

In a well-maintained engine there shouldn't be a reason to check your oil regularly, or else it's of low build quality, not regularly and properly maintained or it's being abused by throttling it hard before the engine and oils have a chance to warm up.
That is true. As @Aibohphobia pointed out, she never changed the oil and allowed the level to get too low. It was an older model Toyota Sienna of all things too.

Reactions: Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
A little bit back on topic, the RX460 is on sale here now and the price is 1050 rmb (about $160)

Considering it's about the same price as an R9 370X, it better be pulling some magic out of its ass. The RX470 was only performing slightly better than the R9 380X so I am guessing the RX460 will be about even to match an R7 370 (maybe a 370X)

Aside from reduced power consumption, which could be more related to reduction in process, I don't think Polaris is bringing much to the table. At least not compared to what Kepler & Maxwell did for Nvidia. Even after it was apparent no major jump in performance would happen, I was hoping we could at least expect low prices. Like $120 for the 460 and $150-$160 for the 470.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Pretty sure the RX 460 is testing at or below 750ti levels from the benches I've seen so far. Pretty darn underwhelming.
Yeah, it also looks to be about 10 - 20% slower than a GTX 950 which is now also available as a PCIe slot powered card.

Lets hope that is priced accordingly (less than £100), because it still has allot to offer with its HDMI 2.0b port and h.265 4K video support making it ideal for a HTPC.

Reactions: Soul_Est

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Some more benchmarks and teardowns are out. Looks ok, but just that. GTX 950 is cheaper and seems to have nearly the same performance, although in DX12 games it looks like the RX460 is getting ahead a bit. I feel AMD will catch up in a year or two but that's not doing much to help them with games that are already out. Instead of waiting for hardware to catch up we're waiting for software to catch up.