"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
My grab bag came yesterday and I got a decent haul. Missing a few keys but enough to get by, and they gave me a ton of blanks as well. Only downside was that the spacebars were 7u only 😔 I fit my current keyboard with some SA profile keycaps to test out that profile and see if I like it. Most of what I have dealt with before was cherry/OEM/dsa styles, so this is a big difference. The keys definitely changed the sound of the keyboard, too. Anyways, here's a pic of my eclectic mess

I also got my 1up keyboards Super16 kit and assembled that. I 3d printed a case from thingiverse and installed it in that. I used DSA caps for that one. Made it a numpad. This was more frustrating than it had to be, as I did not solder the LEDs 100% on a couple and had to redo them. The big issue was that one of them was directly under the controller. Which I had to desolder to get to. NOT FUN. Took me forever, and I ended up finishing with a heat gun which then led to a couple of things falling off the controller. Thought it was busted but was able to fix the functional pieces and now it is good to go.

And today I got a notification that my KBDfans order has shipped and on its way, so super stoked about that.

Reactions: owliwar

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
Been using my Akko 3068 for a little while now, need a wrist wrest, as its mugh taller than my last KB, otherwise I love it.
ignore the charge cable that is connected at the moment.
using this with a Razer Atheris mouse, I can't stand changing mice, or keyboards for that matter, so i have two Atheris mice, one for work and one for home, planning on a second 3068 for work too.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
So my kbdfans order came in yesterday and between last night and during the day today, I was able to assemble my keyboard. And I think I am in typing love. Lubed and filmed all the switches and lubed and clipped the stabs. Foam between the PCB and case. My previous posted PBT keycaps from Mistel (amazon special buy!). I am happy with all the choices I made. The Kailh pro purples are not quite as tactile as I am used to, but for the price and how they feel with lube and films, I am quite happy. I love the sound I am getting from this build and I just want to type type type! Thanks everyone for their help here.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So my kbdfans order came in yesterday and between last night and during the day today, I was able to assemble my keyboard. And I think I am in typing love. Lubed and filmed all the switches and lubed and clipped the stabs. Foam between the PCB and case. My previous posted PBT keycaps from Mistel (amazon special buy!). I am happy with all the choices I made. The Kailh pro purples are not quite as tactile as I am used to, but for the price and how they feel with lube and films, I am quite happy. I love the sound I am getting from this build and I just want to type type type! Thanks everyone for their help here.

Glad you got yours built! Kailh pro is quite tactile, at least reading from the force curve (if I remember correctly). What do you compare it to?

Btw I really don't understand the purpose of switch film. Can help to explain?

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Glad you got yours built! Kailh pro is quite tactile, at least reading from the force curve (if I remember correctly). What do you compare it to?

Btw I really don't understand the purpose of switch film. Can help to explain?
Perhaps it's because they are lubed, but Outemu Brown on my Drevo Calibur seem to have a more pronounced bump.

The films help with key wobble between the top and bottom halves. Some switches don't need it. For example the Gateron Milk Brown switches I got on my 1UP pad were very tight with no movement at all. The Kailh had some movement, not a lot, but I ordered the films so might as well use them lol

neoberg

Cable Smoosher
Dec 18, 2020
Hey, just saw this topic. I've built and using a handwired 30% keyboard:
Gallery:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Perhaps it's because they are lubed, but Outemu Brown on my Drevo Calibur seem to have a more pronounced bump.

The films help with key wobble between the top and bottom halves. Some switches don't need it. For example the Gateron Milk Brown switches I got on my 1UP pad were very tight with no movement at all. The Kailh had some movement, not a lot, but I ordered the films so might as well use them lol

Ah I see. Glad I never feel the need to open (lube) my switches :)

Quite sure Brown switches generally have the weakest tactile bump. So yeah perhaps because The Kailhs are lubed.

Reactions: owliwar

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
here's my new custom keyboard!
southpawish 75 or so % keyboard using kailh choc switches.

numpad over an arrow cluster.

the case is still kinda wip but it's usable as is! handwired as well.
here it's compared to my older pok3r. :) this keeb is roughly 20mm tall, total volume is ~.6L

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm trying to short list everything I'll need to build a custom keeb and here's what I've narrowed down for the switches (in no order):
  • Gateron Clear (very light, but I do have very light fingers too)
  • Novekeys Clear (requires lubing from what I've read)
  • Everglides Aqua King
  • Durock L7 (cheaper alternative to Alpacas)
What do you think about it ? Any other recommandations ?

I've been diagnosed with finger arthritis and heavy switches are just too tiring. I'm a software engineer and as such type quite a lot. As mentioned, I do have very delicate / light fingers so I don't think that ultra light switches will be an issue.

About the size layout, that's another problem I must solve. I've been using a 60% HHKB-esque keyboard for years (Apple M0110) so I'm leaning toward that again, but I'm opened to split / columns staggered layout. I'm also AZERTY (french) and QWERTY (ANSI US intl) fluent, so learning a new one is no issue (Workman, Colemark, etc).

Here's what I've been looking into:

• Tofu60/65
  • Corne
  • Reviung 39/41
  • Dactyl / Skeletyl
If you have any advise or suggestion that could help to have a less strefull setup .... I'd greatly appreciate 😁

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm trying to short list everything I'll need to build a custom keeb and here's what I've narrowed down for the switches (in no order):
  • Gateron Clear (very light, but I do have very light fingers too)
  • Novekeys Clear (requires lubing from what I've read)
  • Everglides Aqua King
  • Durock L7 (cheaper alternative to Alpacas)
What do you think about it ? Any other recommandations ?

I've been diagnosed with finger arthritis and heavy switches are just too tiring. I'm a software engineer and as such type quite a lot. As mentioned, I do have very delicate / light fingers so I don't think that ultra light switches will be an issue.

About the size layout, that's another problem I must solve. I've been using a 60% HHKB-esque keyboard for years (Apple M0110) so I'm leaning toward that again, but I'm opened to split / columns staggered layout. I'm also AZERTY (french) and QWERTY (ANSI US intl) fluent, so learning a new one is no issue (Workman, Colemark, etc).

Here's what I've been looking into:

• Tofu60/65
  • Corne
  • Reviung 39/41
  • Dactyl / Skeletyl
If you have any advise or suggestion that could help to have a less strefull setup .... I'd greatly appreciate 😁

If you prefer light linear switches, another candidate I can suggest is Gateron yellow.

You can also consider Kailh speed silver, as they actuates earlier/higher - perhaps this will help with your finger condition. Considered a little bit heavy though, at 50g actuation & 70g bottom out. (For reference, I think MX red is 45 g)

Finally, have you ever considered Topre or its clones?

The rest is up to your personal preferences :)

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
If you prefer light linear switches, another candidate I can suggest is Gateron yellow.

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about those affordable switches.

TBH, I've never tried light linear. It's just a guesstimation that light switches will reduce the stress on my fingers.

I'm used to linears, but my old Apple uses quite heavy vintage Alps SKCC.

My other board is an IBM Model F XT, with 600mN (~67gf) capacitive buckling spring and the layout is killing me.

Having tinnitus and hyperaccusis issue, that board just drives me crazy (loud and lots of high pitched spring noise).

Capacitive buckling springs are still lovely, with a more modern layout (see the modern remakes) if you can deal with loud and very clacky mechanism.

Finally, have you ever considered Topre or its clones?

Tried Topre from a coworker board (RealforceTKL) and sadely didn't like it. Tactile switches really are not my thing.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about those affordable switches.

TBH, I've never tried light linear. It's just a guesstimation that light switches will reduce the stress on my fingers.

I'm used to linears, but my old Apple uses quite heavy vintage Alps SKCC.

My other board is an IBM Model F XT, with 600mN (~67gf) capacitive buckling spring and the layout is killing me.

Having tinnitus and hyperaccusis issue, that board just drives me crazy (loud and lots of high pitched spring noise).

Capacitive buckling springs are still lovely, with a more modern layout (see the modern remakes) if you can deal with loud and very clacky mechanism.

Tried Topre from a coworker board (RealforceTKL) and sadely didn't like it. Tactile switches really are not my thing.

Yeah there are quite a few popular linears on the lower end of the range.

Do you often bottom out when typing? If yes then probably you should try to use less force.

Finally, when you don't want your old keyboards any longer, feel free to mail them to me 🙂