SFF Case Advice

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
I'll preface on why I'm going SFF.

I'm limited on desk and floor space and at the same time I currently work in Central America where temperatures are typically between 70-85F (20-30C ) all year round for the next 2ish years. It is usually around 75F most of the time.

Its almost a completely new build with the only piece of equipment being taken from a previous ATX build is a MSI 1080 TI ARMOR OC that I want to keep for this build.

Components I am currently looking at:

• Asus Strix z370i MITX Motherboard
  • Intel 8700k (or if I'm very temperature bound: 8700 non-k)
  • 512gB Samsung Evo 970 m2
  • 512gB WD Blue m2
  • Corsair SF600
  • 32gB DDR4 3200 Trident or similar

The cases I've been looking at are:

• Dan Case A4
  • Cerberus (non-x).
  • NCase but I think that that 1080 TI Armor is too wide for it.
  • I'm open to other cases/solutions as well, however smaller (narrower) is better for traveling internationally in a hard shell luggage.

My biggest worry is heat buildup and throttling with these SFF cases. Especially for the 1080 TI Armor. With the Cerberus, I think I could do a 240 AIO rad for 1080ti with a g12 Kraken setup.

I won't have that much flexibility once I'm overseas if I need to exchange parts or experiment. I leave on August 12 so cases with build queues/kickstarters etc would be out if delivery is past then.

I'm a competent builder and looking for people's ideas or advice on Cases and effective cooling options.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Let me ruminate a bit: Due to the relatively poor temperature differential (assuming 30C ambient temps), you may want to think about liquid cooling for both the GPU and CPU (separate loops yes/no is your call), and you'll definitely want a robust PSU.

Perhaps the DSE Breathe or SM550? I think the latter might be what you are after, if the Cerberus is a bit much. It's not up on https://www.sliger.com/ at the time I write this, but if you PM @KSliger, he'll be able to let you know if he can deliver within your timeframe.

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
@jtd871

I was looking at the Breathe, however the cables coming out of the top was making me think about it quite a bit and whether it would like a disaster with my USB and Displayport Pandemic coming out. The SM550 looks like the solution to that conundrum but I'm not sure when it would be ready.

The 8700-nonK version seems to be pretty robust with its lower TDP and a heatsink (stock or not). I would give it a NH9 or similar just to keep it quiet and happy if an 8700k is going to be a cooling issue.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
You could do the 8700k with a C14S in the Cerberus. It's a meaty cooler.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You might take a look at Steacom DA2, 240mm radiator support plus GPU size 330x150x50mm. Very versatile looking case, not available until mid August though.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
If you can think of an alternate graphics card..
NFC S4 Mini is the best choice IMO.
Narrow, Ventilated, readily available & wonderful support...

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
You might take a look at Steacom DA2, 240mm radiator support plus GPU size 330x150x50mm. Very versatile looking case, not available until mid August though.

That is a beautiful case and would be perfect for my use case, but the mid-august timeline hurts that. I'd have to have it in my hands no later than August 10th before I fly out.

If you can think of an alternate graphics card..
NFC S4 Mini is the best choice IMO.
Narrow, Ventilated, readily available & wonderful support...

I would if I could, but I already have a MSI 1080 TI Armor from my current build that I want to move into the SFF build.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
I would say ncase for sure. Or louqe ghost S1 mII. www.louqe.com. next batch is hopefully during the fall. First batch is delivered under August.
I'm thinking myself about that one. Looks so good. But also you can get a bigger could cooler in it then Dan case. But if you need you can buy a large tophat . Extend the case and put in a AIO. Super nice acually :)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
OP needs it in four weeks, probably less. For small batch / crowdfunded builds that's probably a non-starter.

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
@Beardedswede The Ghost S1 looked good but looks like it is sold out or preorders aren't available on their website. I looked at quite a few videos for it and its also a good form factor but doesn't seem to be available.

I would like an NCASE M1, but I don't think a MSI 1080 TI Armor is compatible with it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@Beardedswede The Ghost S1 looked good but looks like it is sold out or preorders aren't available on their website. I looked at quite a few videos for it and its also a good form factor but doesn't seem to be available.

I would like an NCASE M1, but I don't think a MSI 1080 TI Armor is compatible with it.

You are right the 1080 Ti Armor is too wide for the Ncase.

Kind of running out of ideas on custom cases. Have you thought about something like the Lian Li PC-Q38 or the InWin A1?

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
Would you laugh at me if I think I could use a gpu backplate & bracket I have to mount my video card with a PCI-E riser to the side rail mounting system of the NCASE M1 for a vertical mounted graphics card? Then put a 240 AIO in the bottom with air blowing up?

For this amount though I would prefer not to frankenstein it, but it gave me a creative twitch thinking about it.

@rfarmer I haven't looked at the InWin A1 or Lian Li PC-Q38. I'll do that now

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Alright missed that he needed it in 4 weeks! :) but still I would avoid Dan case because of the very limited CPU cooling / cooling alternatives.

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
@tinyitx I checked the Dan Case A4 and the only issue I see is the fulfillment time was for July 27/28th with about a 2 week shipping window. That would probably be cutting it too close. I'd also probably have to swap out the 8700k to an 8700 for cooling.

@jtd871 I'll reach out to @KSliger in pm's about it.

Helaton

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
Just going to follow this up.

I couldn't find out anything about the SM550 prototypes as it looks really interesting.

I ended up going with the Cerberus MATX Case primarily due to the graphics card and layout options (and availability). Placed my order tonight. (White with Black top.) I also considered the InWin A1 which would have been my second choice as a budget case, but it seems to be sold out everywhere. It looked unique enough to work.

I'm going to run an AIO 240 on bottom and hook it up to my 1080 TI then put a compatible air cooler for the 8700k with an upward blowing orientation (going to see if a Noctuas can fit).

If anyone has any recommendations for an AIO 240 rad that is compatible with the Cerberus (or if the cerb isn't picky at all with rads), if you could please let me know. To match the white case, going to pair it up with a White G12.