Advise for a small 1080ti case

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Hello all, i'm Senaxx and I need some advice for buying a SFF case.

At this moment I own a huge case, the corsair obsidian 900D. It's an awesome case and it served it's purpose, but I want something different: a sff build. Problem is I own a 1080ti. The 300mm 2.5 slots ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 TI, and due this card my options are more limited in my case choice.

Personally I really love the design of the Ncase M1 v5 and while I've seen a build that has used this card the temps where very high. So I've been looking at other cases (silverstone for example) but they all aren't as pretty as the Ncase M1 (with tempered glass for example).

So i'm looking for a stylish case that would fit my Asus 1080ti. Budget isn't a problem, and if the card would fit better (or cooler) with an water cooling setup i'm all up for that.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I would say add a full custom loop for CPU & GPU, but I think the added height from the fittings terminal would make the Strix too tall...

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
So sorry! Yes, the NCASE M1, which is basically my favorite SFF chassis! At least until the NCASE M5 comes out...

If it only was a tiny bit larger ;) But a this nvidia card with EK waterblock would still fit?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
If it only was a tiny bit larger ;) But a this nvidia card with EK waterblock would still fit?

The Strix card (air-cooled) is a tight fit in the M1, but with the fittings terminal on the water block, it will not fit (too tall). I mentioned that in my original reply.

That is the problem with the taller GPUs, they usually do not fit into SFF cases. Especially when water cooled, due to the fittings terminal adding height to an already tall card.

Last edited:

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
The Strix card (air-cooled) is a tight fit in the M1, but with the fittings terminal on the water block, it will not fit (too tall). I mentioned that in my original reply.

That is the problem with the taller GPUs, they usually do not fit into SFF cases. Especially when water cooled, due to the fittings terminal adding height to an already tall card.

So I have two choices, a different case, or buy a smaller 1080TI. What other case would you recommend?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
So I have two choices, a different case, or buy a smaller 1080TI. What other case would you recommend?
You could look for a Dan case maybe? Idk if it would fit or not. The strix is the longest card on the market I believe so if ANYTHING you could always design your own :) check out willydijo on Google he makes some pretty cool cases you could get some inspiration from that wouldn't be difficult to do yourself

And then there's always the itx tray kit which you can get information about in the vendor section and you could build a chassis around that which would probably be the easier option

Reactions: Biowarejak

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
it wouldn't fit without changing the cooler somehow, the A4 has a strict 2 slot limitation.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Sorry, I would not know what to recommend for the Strix, such a large card!

All of the boutique SFF cases I have looked at (here & on the [H] SFF sub-forum) are not accommodating for such a large graphics card!

And there are not really any real SFF cases out there in the 'production' world, even the few you can find that claim to be SFF ITX cases are all usually over 20 liters in volume. And even at that point, the height / length / width of the Strix may continue to be a problem.

Or just sell the Strix & get a reference model sized card, slap a full-cover water block on it & build up a full custom loop M1 system!