Some advice about mITX 1080 ti mini build.

Rickd83

Case Bender
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
I am currently planning a gaming mITX build and this is my first mITX.
Since I am a newbie on mITX I thought I could ask here and hopefully get some advice or guidance on how to make it work.

I am planning on building in a Fractal design Core 500 and the GPU will be a Zotac 1080 ti mini. Other than that it will be minimal with components for best airflow.

Setup so far:
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
Case: Fractal Design Core 500
GPU: Zotac 1080 ti mini

PSU: Corsair SF600 / Fractal Design Integra M 650W (?)
Memory: 2x 8gb 3000/3200 (?)
MB: ?
CPU: i7 8700
CPU cooler: ? (Cryorig c7?)
HDD: 1x 500gb SSD/m.2 (?)
Cooling: ?
?
?

What I am worried about or wonder, is how it will hold with airflow/cooling? Hard to find information about the 1080 ti mini and itx builds.
Will it be enough as it is, or do I need to mount more fans because of the GPU is not a blower, or even use some hybrid cooler for CPU?

Edit: I have no need to OC the system why I took the 8700 and not K which I read gets hotter. But obviously not against, if it wouldn't be a problem with the cooling.

Hopefully someone has some idea or advice of what would be needed to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2017
It looks like that case has some pretty good cooling. The main intake is from the top, so the C7 would work well, but a bigger cooler is usually better. The Core 500 supports coolers up to 170mm tall. As far as the GPU goes, it has its own intake on the left side. Blower coolers will exhaust out the PCI slots, but the one you chose will spit the air back into the case. This isn't that big of a deal though because the case is decently big and if you leave the rear exhaust fan in, most of the heat should go out that way.

TL;DR it should cool just as good as an ATX case.

Rickd83

Case Bender
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Would it be overkill with an AIO like Cryorig a40 as CPU cooler? It's on 30% discount currently, or just grab a normal aircooler that would be cheaper?
Also the PSU. Would the integra atx work which also is on discount and cheaper(50% of the sfx) than a sfx? Is there some significant difference that would make the SFX more suitable for my setup? Or does the integra fit since I use the mini GPU anyways?

Thanks for the help!

alexmcdouchebag

Chassis Packer
Oct 11, 2017
A Zotac GTX 1080 Ti mini probably isn't the best choice if you're using a case that big. You can probably fit a dual fan EVGA aftermarket card and benefit from lower noise and better airflow.

Reactions: SeñorDonut
Mar 6, 2017
Watercooling would be a tiny bit better but a lot easier to install. It looks like the case can support ATX PSUs, but I'd be wary of the length. SFX would be smaller and thus allow for better airflow.