SFF Brand Name Ideas?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away KMPKT did this thing where he posted a thread, asking for name ideas. Eventually that thread came up with KMPKT, which I think is an awesome play on words/letters/pronunciation/whatever.

Anywho, I'm here because I want to achieve something similar.

For the past year~ish, I've been working on designing, testing, and perfecting a line of laser-cut acrylic and modcube cases covering 4 major areas:
  • Cerberus style (MATX)
  • Dan A4 style
  • S4 style
  • Silverstone SG13 style
These cases aren't meant to replace those cases, but rather offer an affordable alternative for those that can't pay 200~ish dollars for a case, but still want to enjoy the advantages of SFF, while waiting for the opportunity/budget to upgrade to one of those more permanent cases.

They'll be nothing more than 6-7 pieces of acrylic held together by modcubes.

So what do I brand them as? I've spent a while now and got nothing. I want something that sounds ok, and somehow encompasses the ideology behind what I'm trying to do, which is not to compete with the other creators, but rather to make SFF more accessible (Let's face it, this hobby isn't cheap) for those on a budget (like me). The only thing that's stopping me from doing the big reveal is a name. :/

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: khanate

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
LazercutSFF?
LaserCut SFF? (Problem with those is Lazer3D is a thing)
sharks with lasers
BudgetSFF? (really bothers me for some reason, I think it sells my ideas as cheap/low quality)
SFF^2? (math is nice)

Maybe base it off my design language?
Victorian SFF?
Colonial SFF?
Frank Lloyd Wright?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
How about Windfall? ?

I don't know....

You got a good one. Lone Industries.
Windfall Industries doesn't have that nice ring to it, like Lone does.

I've been looking at this thread for inspiration, and I really like Laevis.
It's just, well,

And I really like confusis's one build name, Think_Micro, but it's not original to me.
Maybe he wouldn't mind...

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Try not to include SFF in such a way that it could be confused with SFF Network - I got quite tired of explaining that SFFLab wasn't connected to SFF Network :(

SFF Workshop is a brand of mine for content, not products, so there's less of a concern there

Reactions: ZivZulander

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Try not to include SFF in such a way that it could be confused with SFF Network - I got quite tired of explaining that SFFLab wasn't connected to SFF Network :(

SFF Workshop is a brand of mine for content, not products, so there's less of a concern there

Yeah, that wouldn't be ideal.

Sooooo.... I've come to really like Think_Micro.
Would you mind if I borrowed it (maybe permanently?)
The more I think about it, the more I like it.
:hopeful_face:

SmolPC
FrugalCase
EconoCase

I quite like SmolCase! :)
The issue with the others is it feels like I would be selling my own work short....
Thanks for the suggestions though, if confusis doesn't want me to steal his name, I might just go with SmolCase.

Reactions: ZivZulander

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I was actually thinking just Windfall. No need to add the word industries to it... windfallcases.com

The name makes me think of wind blowing through the case providing cooling.

WindCase?

I don't know. In URL form, I really, really like it.
But just as Windfall Cases...

Even as I'm typing this, I'm starting to like it, dangit. XD

Okay, I really like that, actually. And the domain is available!

Thanks for all the help!