Server + NAS in Silverstone CS01-HS case

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So this build has a few issues, of which the largest one can be the lack of video output. Since it's a Ryzen 1800X CPU, there is no iGPU and I really don't have any room for a GPU. OR DO I ?!?!

Over on the Discords I was already mentioning I want to try attaching a GPU to the Wifi M.2, since that's an A+E keyed socket, which supports PCIe x1 or possibly x2. But even then, will it allow the GPU to work ?

We need two components for this:

M.2 WiFi A+E Key to PCIe x1 Adapter

s-l1600.jpg
(I have a 30cm version)
Link: eBay

Zotac GeForce GT 710 1GB GDDR3 PCIe x1 (ZT-71304-20L)

zt-71304-20l_image2.jpg
(low profile bracket included)
Link: Zotac

Result:

You are seeing the GT 710 PCIe x1 attached to the ADTLink adapter, that is wrapped around the motherboard.
On the monitor you see ESXi's console screen, being outputted from the HDMI port from the GT 710 over the ADTLink. I was also able to configure the BIOS, which was going to be impossible with the SAS HBA card and 40Gb Ethernet card both attached to the motherboard (using the PCIe x16 and M.2 M-key to PCIe x16).

It's getting difficult to photograph anything inside the case as I keep filling it :) You can also see the 4TB Seagate SMR drive that I taped to the side of the HDD enclosure with 3M VHB tape (link). This drive is formatted into UFS and attached as a backup drive using rsync.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Might be a bit late for this, but the better way to approach this is to just use a COM Port adapter and use a serial port for console access. If you're running any UNIX-like OS or even ESXi, you can set up serial output and then use a USB->COM adapter with a laptop to access the console of the system. Most motherboards still have a COM Header.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

PIRATAS

Chassis Packer
May 26, 2020
So this build has a few issues, of which the largest one can be the lack of video output. Since it's a Ryzen 1800X CPU, there is no iGPU and I really don't have any room for a GPU. OR DO I ?!?!

Over on the Discords I was already mentioning I want to try attaching a GPU to the Wifi M.2, since that's an A+E keyed socket, which supports PCIe x1 or possibly x2. But even then, will it allow the GPU to work ?

We need two components for this:

M.2 WiFi A+E Key to PCIe x1 Adapter

View attachment 696
(I have a 30cm version)
Link: eBay

Zotac GeForce GT 710 1GB GDDR3 PCIe x1 (ZT-71304-20L)

View attachment 697
(low profile bracket included)
Link: Zotac

Result:

You are seeing the GT 710 PCIe x1 attached to the ADTLink adapter, that is wrapped around the motherboard.
On the monitor you see ESXi's console screen, being outputted from the HDMI port from the GT 710 over the ADTLink. I was also able to configure the BIOS, which was going to be impossible with the SAS HBA card and 40Gb Ethernet card both attached to the motherboard (using the PCIe x16 and M.2 M-key to PCIe x16).

It's getting difficult to photograph anything inside the case as I keep filling it :) You can also see the 4TB Seagate SMR drive that I taped to the side of the HDD enclosure with 3M VHB tape (link). This drive is formatted into UFS and attached as a backup drive using rsync.
Amazing work. As you say, difficulties in making photographs is a bad thing here as it would be amazing to understand all the exact places you have put all that you have inserted in that case ;)

Quick question about the 3M red tape: is it the version that is made of transparent plastic gummy rubber of about 1mm of thickness?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Might be a bit late for this, but the better way to approach this is to just use a COM Port adapter and use a serial port for console access. If you're running any UNIX-like OS or even ESXi, you can set up serial output and then use a USB->COM adapter with a laptop to access the console of the system. Most motherboards still have a COM Header.
A good suggestion but it doesn't allow me to troubleshoot stuff like the HBA or Ethernet controller (option ROM) or the BIOS, which are more important for me. Once ESXi has booted, I can connect through HTTPS or SSH.

Quick question about the 3M red tape: is it the version that is made of transparent plastic gummy rubber of about 1mm of thickness?
Yep, the one I linked, 1mm transparant. The different SKU numbers also differ in width and length.