Other Silverstone SFF storage - CS01 & CS01-HS

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
May 11, 2015

14.2L, Mini-ITX

CS01

CS01-HS

Same chassis, different configurations. The CS01 is meant for internal storage whereas the CS01-HS stands for "Hot Swap" and as you can guess, has hotswap 6x 2.5" bays that are accessible from the top of the case, with an additional 2x 2.5" internal mounts.

Personally, I could see myself using the CS01-HS, especially as I'd like to transition away from mechanical drives even for storage purposes. Not too interested in the CS01 - I think the M1 actually makes a better, smaller, albeit more expensive fileserver than it, to say nothing of other options.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I really like their special projects. Having up to eight 2,5" drives of which 6 are hot-swapable SAS/SATA is very nice. It could replace my file-server which is almost four times the size of this little box. But I'd need to replace my six 3,5" 2TB disks (with one spare), internal components and whatnot so I won't be building one anytime soon. Still, if this was two years ago...

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's about the same size as the well-regarded HP Microserver (both 14L), and both support low-profile PCI-E cards, but for pure storage the Microserver manages to pack in 5x 3.5" HDDs (6x if you remove an internal divider and route a cable outside) for a lot higher capacity. If you want it to do anything other than pure storage though, being able to install a standard ITX motherboard definitely wins out.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah the HP Microservers are nice too, as a barebone. I don't have experience with the G8 model, but the ones based on the AMD Turion CPU's were quite nice although flimsy inside.